• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Offered a grail gen but could spend it on multiple reps..?

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
So I’m lucky enough to be good friends with an ad Rolex allocator who has offered me my dream gmt blro within 6 months. I had my heart set on it as it’s so hard to get these. But the further I go into the rep game I can’t help but think of all the vintage builds I could get for the same cost... what would you do - go for some dream 1680s and 1675s or one stunning gmt blro ..I’m not concerned about resell as I would keep it for life. The only consideration is my children would be able to inherit and sell the gmt in the future if they didn’t want to wear it - but equally if they grow to like watches they could have some great frankens to wear and enjoy ..? Still undecided where I will put the cash, but curious what other people would do.

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Gen all day. If you ever need the money there will be no problem getting it all back. Imagine all the threads you would have to start to get your reps sold. And that is assuming they all work a couple years down the road. Though a nice swiss movement would be reliable.

Reactions: Dmage and p0pperini

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
Gen all day. If you ever need the money there will be no problem getting it all back. Imagine all the threads you would have to start to get your reps sold. And that is assuming they all work a couple years down the road. Though a nice swiss movement would be reliable.

True - as it stands I’ll be taking it - I love the gmt on jubilee and its a wonderful piece to enjoy as well as holding its value, and then some. I’m just going to have to funnel even more into vintage rep builds on top of that now too! Years ago this watch would have satisfied me for a long time, but im going to have to scratch that vintage rep itch as well haha :)

Reactions: p0pperini

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
True - as it stands I’ll be taking it - I love the gmt on jubilee and its a wonderful piece to enjoy as well as holding its value, and then some. I’m just going to have to funnel even more into vintage rep builds on top of that now too! Years ago this watch would have satisfied me for a long time, but im going to have to scratch that vintage rep itch as well haha :)

I am in watch hell right now. So many mid level gens and a couple high end. But I find myself outdoors more and doing less formal attire that I am going to unass a few.

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Even thought to me it's a complete waste of money to get a gen watch of something available as a good rep, this is not the point here.

If it's a dream watch, and you have the money for it, then this money is for the dream watch, otherwise you could also think about all the other stuff you could buy for yourself or the household instead of those multiple reps, putting things in perspective will always lead to something else that money would be better spent on, and before you even realize it, you are clicking the donate button on a charity website... :lol:

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
The BLRO is beautiful piece. I was offered one last year but I turned it down because I had just bought an Explorer 2. I still very much regret not buying it then because I doubt I'll get offered another one anytime soon.

My advice is to just jump on it. If you don't like it, you can probably sell it at no loss. Not many grail watches have the resale value of the professional Rolexes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: D Ramone

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
I have a BP 16710 on a vintage strap that I like very much.

THEN, a gen 16700 came up for sale and it was a great deal.

NOTHING beats a gen.

Now the 16710 goes on vacation to Mexico with me...

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
While there is definitely a ownership pride, sentimental value, “gen is a gen” philosophy and 100% resale value with owning the gen BLRO, it is hard for me to go for a gen after living in the franken world.

Buy the gen BLRO, flip it around at a higher Costs. Use the profits to buy some more reps/frankens and then ask AD to put you on the list again :p

Jokes aside, do what your mind (not heart) says. Members can offer advice but only you have to live with the consequences of your decision. Good luck mate!!

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I agree with the sentiment here. If it’s a gen for the sake of a gen, that’s one thing and I could easily say “pass”. If it’s a dream watch... and for me a few Panerai or a Hulk and I’d get it. I think a perf3ct collection has some gens laced in. Also, as you said, it’s a lifer and something you hope to and want to pass down. Chances are, you won’t be doing that with a rep. Not with the same confidence and pride.

I always say when you buy a watch, don’t buy it for today or tomorrow (especially if you contemplating two models and asking if you should get the cheaper one or he more expensive one) buy it for 20years from now and a pepsi, you’d be doing just that.

If the miney wont stress you out, I say go for the heirloom. You can always build back up to the reps incrementally.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
If it can help. I used to have 4 gen Rollies (16610, 16622, 16570, 16233), a Zenith El Primero, 2 LE Moonwatches, then I found RWI.
I lurked sooo much, then I bought my first rep (it was a noob sub v6s) and I was amazed by its quality. That was how my story begins...

Well I ended up selling most of my gens and enjoying good reps. Only the YM and the Zenith are still with me.
You can wear your reps without any fear of scratches and dings, you can have many of them for rotation.
Selling most of my collection was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Last edited:

axel.gold

Known Member
5/5/19
My suggestion is to buy the gen grail. You know it’s authentic, will get a good price and if somehow you don’t like anymore than sell it years later for profit.

Replica’s you can still over time afford anyway and get any time.

Reactions: D Ramone

D Ramone

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/7/18
UK
GMT all the way.

No replica is ever going to make you feel as good as wearing your gen dream watch.

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
Agree with everyone here, definitely go gen! It's a great opportunity and even if you change your mind further down the line you will always get what you paid.

Cicero

RWI Legal Advisor
Global Moderator
Certified
12/3/15
So I’m lucky enough to be good friends with an ad Rolex allocator who has offered me my dream gmt blro within 6 months. I had my heart set on it as it’s so hard to get these. But the further I go into the rep game I can’t help but think of all the vintage builds I could get for the same cost... what would you do - go for some dream 1680s and 1675s or one stunning gmt blro ..I’m not concerned about resell as I would keep it for life. The only consideration is my children would be able to inherit and sell the gmt in the future if they didn’t want to wear it - but equally if they grow to like watches they could have some great frankens to wear and enjoy ..? Still undecided where I will put the cash, but curious what other people would do.

Go with the gen. Although watches are generally not good investments, it’s a better bad choice.

Reactions: Rx4Time

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
Gonna have to get it - too good an offer to turn down especially with the waits and lists people are on to even try and be eligible. Still going to do a vintage 1675 this year too though

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Gonna have to get it - too good an offer to turn down especially with the waits and lists people are on to even try and be eligible. Still going to do a vintage 1675 this year too though

You wont regret it. And even if you do decide that it’s not for you.... ::shrugs:: you can sell it and make a few bucks.

blurred_line

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/9/17
Pretty much what everyone said - get on the list, buy it whenever it gets there, make a decision to keep it or not later after wearing it a few times! I say its a win-win