• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

So Iv been playing around with a thought

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Ok well I guess I should have rephrased my first post then.. by high end I mean attention to detail. And the patent would cover the design I have in my mind for the case. I wasnt trying to get rich or anything off my idea, just wanted to create something different that you dont see everyday.. look at the lecoultre reverso. That things awesome. Or the Harwood from the 30s

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
I know I cant build it myself. I would to tell somebody who's good with a lathe what I was thinking and have them do it

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
And I'm not trying to win anyone over, but I know it's not worth really talking about until I can show people.. you guys cant see the wow factor with words

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I know I cant build it myself. I would to tell somebody who's good with a lathe what I was thinking and have them do it

I think you're going to need a lot more than a guy with a lathe but good luck.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Work out all details and make a business plan.
Gain knowledge on all aspects of your business, from the first raw metal blocks that go into the CNC to the parcel arriving at the end customer (logistics/customs).
Make sure you're fully prepared for starting a company in your country including all regulations and tax laws.
Once that's all worked out and you have a very clear image of your cost structures, it's time to collect some money. Most projects do that on Kickstarter, where you'll also get the most honest feedback on your self-selling watch. Forget online polls, forget the opinion of friends and family - if random people on Kickstarter don't get excited enough to give you their money the idea probably isn't that great in the first place. If everything works out: count the money, buy a Lambo. If not: take it easy, no plan survives first contact with implementation.

My favourite quote on this topic: "When I started out 30 years ago, I had nothing but a dream and a suitcase with 6 million Dollars."

Last edited:
Reactions: C Master

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
At the moment it's just a day dream
Look at the quality of responses you’ve had here Matt, and ask yourself, “Have I put - or am I capable of putting - as much thought into my idea as these guys have put into explaining what’s actually involved in moving this beyond being just a daydream?”

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
I took a ride in a car today and it was awesome. I've decided I'm going to build a high end car like Ferrari, but at a Ford price point. Are there any mechanics out there who want to join me to create my brand?

I'm really, really worried about patenting my supercar.....

:picard2:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I took a ride in a car today and it was awesome. I've decided I'm going to build a high end car like Ferrari, but at a Ford price point. Are there any mechanics out there who want to join me to create my brand?

I'm really, really worried about patenting my supercar.....

:picard2:

You may scoff, but I know it first hand from a neighbour that this sort of thing can work. He wanted to create a sports car brand because he saw the attention high end cars were getting. He put his money where his mouth was and invested over 200 euros on car parts (plus polishing cloths, wax etc). We were all skeptical at first and asked how are you going to sell sports cars at 250,000 euros and that's to get your money back?

Needless to say he proved us all wrong and sold all of his sports cars for 250,500 euros each. He made about 125 euros for more than a year and half of work on his sports car brand.

Reactions: cpd2186

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
And I'm not trying to win anyone over, but I know it's not worth really talking about until I can show people.. you guys cant see the wow factor with words
You've painted such a rich, detailed picture using words though - we can but dream what is still to be revealed, when you get access to crayons.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
I don't want to sound like the negative nanny but...

If you do a market analysis, a few things will stand out:
- Its already a very crowded market and there are well established players in all price ranges. In fact, premium watch makers have been there over 100-150 years
- Mechanical watches in general is a shrinking market. Such watches are being "replaced" by smart watches. In fact, the smart watch (apple watch) segment is only growing segment. There will always be collectors, watch enthusiasts and horology "freaks" but my own belief is that mechanical watches will die a slow death
- Customer's WTP (willingness to pay) for luxary and premium brands is because of existing reputation, resale value, dealer network, service experience and perceived brand image. That's why people pay a premium for Rolex, Patek, AP etc
- The low to medium segment of the market is already very saturated, too many players already. Customers buy these watches for the same reasons above.
- As time progresses, the number of people willing to pay more for a mechanical watch over an Apple watch is shrinking
- Mighty/Big players in this industry have the money and lawyers to squash you with IP infringement or any other reasons that the lawyers come up with. Remember what happened to TC.

Now here is my question - Do you want to enter this space?

Apple disrupted this space/market a few years back by not coming up with another mechanical model but a smart one. That is where the innovation lies and that's where we need to spend our hard earned money. My 2 cents...

So, as quoted above, there is a lot good info there.

From my perspective...I sell custom mods on eBay. Mostly upgraded Seiko's in custom Crystaltimes cases. For instance, SOXA mods (Seiko Doxa's)...all new parts, depending on the movement, I can have $400-$600 invested in each watch. Then on the bay I routinely get offers at $150-$225. Every once in a blue moon someone will come along and buy at my list price.

I've learned the market for custom watches is just not worth it for the small guy. Your investment will be tied up in watches that sit for a long time, and the margins are just not worth it in the end. I end up selling for little profit and basically my time is free.

This is just my experience....