• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

So Iv been playing around with a thought

alfonzo

25/7/19
I think you will find that most here who have extreme knowledge of Horology and the space are too pragmatic to entertain such a notion. I applaud you for the desire and I encourage your dream. With that said if you want someone like me to take a serious look at your idea it would require a complete business plan prototypes completed and a serious go to market strategy that is clearly differentiated in the space. Also I would need to see the interest of other fiduciaries/investors before I would invest dollar one.

Reactions: webby48

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
QUOTE=alfonzo;n8598776]I think you will find that most here who have extreme knowledge of Horology and the space are too pragmatic to entertain such a notion. I applaud you for the desire and I encourage your dream. With that said if you want someone like me to take a serious look at your idea it would require a complete business plan prototypes completed and a serious go to market strategy that is clearly differentiated in the space. Also I would need to see the interest of other fiduciaries/investors before I would invest dollar one.[/QUOTE]

Ok now after I say what I say, dont completely write me off but how do I do all that... yes I know it's funny, I want to build something knowing nothing however, I will learn.. I'm going to take note on everything you just said and research all of it.. I do know what a prototype is and I know how I want to to go together in my mind, but it may be tough to actually get it done

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Business plan aside, to attract initial interest, you need to have a working prototype. It's not hard to source existing case, movement, hands, crown, etc. assuming they are not too out of the ordinary. The hardest part should be the dial, but if you have a design and are willing to put up the money, you can custom make a dial. A skilled modder can assembly your watch and have it ticking.

I'd start with the dial and build everything around it. If you have no capital, then start saving. Nothing is easy when you want to innovate.

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
We it's not going to be easy, because it not going to be a traditional watch I have a very intricate 3 or 4 part bezel, and an the back that I need may be easy to source but the case may be a bit of a challenge also.. I'll start on the plans in a couple days drawing out what I want to do... I'm just worried about patenting and all that

alfonzo

25/7/19
So a patent is a whole other creature. I would focus on building a brand and a viral following then put energy into a patent. I am speaking form experience as I am in the waiting game on mine. It took over 2 years to put that together and then there is that cost. Understand that a patent will only be approved if the idea is novel and not obvious to those schooled in the art. Focus on understanding the business side as you design your prototype. You are one guy that need lots of cash to make this happen so trying to find money, build the prototype, write the business plan and work on a patent is just impossible.

Make it work
Build a plan
Show it off
Attract money

and hopefully sell a few watches. IF you are lucky and I mean VERY LUCKY you will build a brand following and live the dream.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Well, see what I wanted to do was incorporate parts of historically significant case designs into one case, therefore itll have that historical presence.

Sorry, nothing new about that. See NTH. See a hundred other crowd funded microbrands that have popped up over the last few years which sell between $200 - $1,500.

Do WMT watches have ‘historical presence’ because they rip off vintage Rolex and Blancpain? Of course not.

And good luck getting a patent on something as generic and derivative as a watch.

Your starting point should be researching the market. Its never been as occupied as it is now.

Last edited:
Reactions: rabl253

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
That's not what I meant by ripping off things from other brands, I want to take something older with a haretage design, one that's long been destinked, add my own twist to it, and make it original... but thanks for the vote of confidence

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Forget it guys, I'll do all the footwork first and then post all the details up... open your minds up to possibilities

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
I just figure if I'm gonna spend a whole bunch of money on building a rep that at the end of the day is just a knockoff, why not build something unique and original, something that captures the mind.. maybe I cant do it for one of the many reason.. or maybe I can.. I'm going to try if I fail it's ok, cause atleast I gave it a ahot

Reactions: Raddave

alfonzo

25/7/19
Don't be discouraged. The most successful entrepreneurs look at their ideas with the most jaundiced eye. You need to be hyper critical of your idea's and the market to drive success. Let me challenge you, how well do you know your product and idea? Have you built a watch? Have you serviced a movement? I ask because to be a success you need to be an expert of your product and the more you know the better served your idea becomes.

Don't infer tone from the advice that is being given, you may have the best watch on the planet but with the noise of a very crowded market recognition may be futile. Better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond.

Last edited:
Reactions: Countess Koscowicz

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Havent done any of the things youv asked successfully.. if tried many time to service movement but failed... dont know machining how to use a lathe.. as far as iv gotten is replacing and repairing basic stuff... but, I'm still gonna push my idea.. I dont know if itll work but itll be awesome if it does

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
It can happen.

But it stands completely upon the following

1 The watches require a USP, and that USP needs to be totally unique and cool, super cool!

2 The price point of the watch needs to have no connection with your costing, (Of course it must exceed your costing) It needs to be connected with the market position the quality and USP place the watch.

3 You can't hide it under your sofa and expect to sell it. You need publicity. If the USP is strong enough and cool enough, you may get plenty. But you need to be clever and work very hard to get it.

4 It needs a story . Nothing sells without a story.

5 It needs to be legally un- impeachable.

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
It's not impossible but will be very hard, I know it first hand from a relative. He wanted to create a clothing brand because he saw the attention high end clothing was getting. He put his money where his mouth was and invested over 2200 on 50 t-shirts (packaging, labels, etc included). We were all skeptical at first and asked how are you going to sell t-shirt at 50 euros and that's to get your money back?

Needless to say he proved us all wrong and sold all of his t-shirts for 85 euros plus with the help of a good marketing campaign and local influencers promoting the brand. He made about 1000 euros for more than a year and half of work on his t shirt (in my opinion not worth it, you'll get a better return working minimum wage). The problem he had after that t-shirt launch is now what? He couldn't think of something new that would get customers talking or buying a new product (it was just a novelty for people). Fortunately, the store where he advertised the t shirts decided to buy his logo as well as the brand and payed good money for it.

The main takeaway from all of this is:
  • Be determined
  • Don't start it because you recently got interested in something, you'll eventually get bored
  • Have a lot of patience (it's going to take over a year to get the prototype and at least 2 to get the funding)
  • Know your niche (who are you going to sell it to? People on the forum? If so stop right here because 2 past projects completely flopped)
  • Have a good marketing strategy to reach that niche
  • Have another product ready right after launch to keep audience engaged

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
Thanks offpink for that info.. I still kind of watch to dive it a go... those are nice watches tho, anybody have one?

LOFt3.jpg

73fv.jpg
Vg87rQ.jpg

Vg8YRA.jpg

VoQXRF.jpg

VCTEWs.jpg

Vbde43.jpg

VDyneR.jpg

Watchpocketguide42

Horology Curious
1/1/20
UK
Some good advises here. I can add that you should start from learning how to watch modding works. Seriously. Build at least 10 watches yourself. Learn how to machine/alter cases, create custom dials, lume job and etc. No need to know how to fix movements as you will buy them in stock, anyway. Then you at least will have some solid basics of what works and how it works.

Also, investigate Kickstarter watch projects and see how many of these brands are still making watches now.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Forget it guys, I'll do all the footwork first and then post all the details up... open your minds up to possibilities

You’re going to have much bigger obstacles than a few guys on a forum not being won over.

I'm assuming you are looking at creating a brand and not a one-off personal project - I'm somewhat confused as you seem to be talking about both.

I’ll tell you what my red flags are:

"I might like to take a stab at creating a watch brand that's just as high end as all the brands this site deals with but with a price point closer to or maybe even less then steinhart ocean, ginault, and whatever other ones out there."

Your statement tells me you don’t understand brand and you don’t understand brand positioning. You cannot create a ‘high end’ brand like Rolex, Audemars Piquet or Omega out of thin air. These brands have history, heritage, and have invested millions in establishing themselves and their product. What people are buying into is the brand - none of their products actually contain $1,000’s worth of steel, ceramic and development.

Furthermore, you are never going to get a movement, or level of manufacturing close to a Rolex, and be able to sell it cheaper than a Steinhart. Just compare a Submariner to an Ocean One and tell me they’re not a million miles apart with a straight face. Fact is you're not even going to be able to get close to the fit and finish of a Steinhart if you're selling it for less than a Steinhart.

"Well, see what I wanted to do was incorporate parts of historically significant case designs into one case, therefore itll have that historical presence. I have no money, no advertisering background and no idea how to do any of it, but I do think I have a really good base of an idea thats different. And I feel like if its different enough, and adds the wonder of how its done.. the watch would sell itself... itll take a while to get the design down (which I have something in mind) and come up with a prototype but hey... everything starts with a dream right?"

It’s true that there are designs from the past which have been consigned to the dustbin of history because they never lasted. Can they be revitalised? Maybe - see the Tudor PO1 (Which no one asked for or wants, but I digress…). However, I’d question if they actually are different - I’ll come to that later. Furthermore, the brands mentioned above already have a huge amount of their history / ‘brand DNA’ in their products - see the evolution of the Explorer / Royal Oak / Seamaster.

Trust me - your watch will NOT sell itself. The market is saturated with brands who do have money, advertising know-how and manufacturing knowledge - and dozens of them fail each year.

"I'm just worried about patenting and all that."

Don’t worry about it - there is almost nothing that Rolex can patent on an Explorer or Submariner - Same for Omega across their entire catalogue. For the most part, watches are just too generic, with multiple instances or prior art / prior example and they don’t use components which can be considered unique, innovative and non derivative. AP have had limited success removing look-alike products on the basis that the look of a Royal Oak serves no functional purpose, and therefore a homage of it is a trade dress infringement.

Moving on.

First thing you need to do is look at the market. It is saturated - and I mean saturated. Have a look here - there are 30 brands in this article from homage to extreme.

https://manofmany.com/fashion/watche...pendent-brands

My point is that there is a huge variation within just these 30 watches - and there are easily 200 other micro brands out there already with an advertising presence on Facebook / Google Ads.

Some more examples

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...e-watches.html

And some more…

https://www.watchonista.com/articles...dup-watch-fair

A great site which is a little more choosy about reviewing smaller brand watches is Worn and Wound...

https://wornandwound.com/watch-reviews/

OK - had a look at those? Still think you have a unique and desirable product with no overlap of anything you saw in those links? Great. Get some impartial advice on that - because if you want a viable business it doesn’t matter if you like it or not. What matters is that enough other people like it, and you have a way of letting them know, and then have an e-commerce or physical platform to sell it. (and you've actually been able to make your watches)

At the same time, start thinking how much this is really going to cost you - $100k - $500k?

Some examples to read up on Bill Yao / MKII

https://www.mkiiwatches.com/

And see what Doc Vail / Janis / NTH Watches have been up to - he’s been really open about his processes and experiences.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/of...d-1015143.html

Just a couple of examples out of many dozens you may be interested in.

What I’m trying to say is that you need to understand the product (which is watches in general). You need to understand the market, brand and brand positioning. You also need to know, or have enough backing to hire a team which knows, about design, identity, prototyping, manufacturing, supply chain, marketing, e-commerce and retail. You’re also going to have to get investment - which means that you need to demonstrate an understanding of all of these things - and be able to demonstrate it in your pitch.

Don’t make the same mistake as a new restauranteur can make, that if they love cooking, their friends and family love their cooking that they are going to be able to open a restaurant and it’s going to be an instant hit.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: rabl253