• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

So Iv been playing around with a thought

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
I figure I might like to take a stab at creating a watch brand that's just as high end as all the brands this site deals with but with a price point closer to or maybe even less then steinhart ocean, ginault, and whatever other ones out there. I have a name, logo, and case design id like to figure out how to execute. Obviously it would have to go through the necessary patents and registrations..

So the reason for my post is because I'm limited as far as executing a quality build and I know there are some very skilled modders/builders here that may want to partner up with me and help make something great.

id like to build it around an eta but open to opinions.

Hopefully this post is welcome on this forum.. thanks

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
With watches price point often determines ‘High end’ to some extent. Along with historical contributions and innovation. The seiko SARB is affordable and almost every bit as good as some Grand Seikos, but it doesn’t have that magic X factor. There are some watches that hold higher value though due to complications etc . But I think you will have a hard time getting people to buy into the idea of a luxury watch, that’s affordable as it kind of defeats the object to some extent. Plenty of excellent watches already in the low- mid range price bracket using the same materials as watches that far exceed them in price. But they will never hold the same gravitas, in my opinion.

Reactions: rabl253

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Thanks offpink for that info.. I still kind of watch to dive it a go... those are nice watches tho, anybody have one?

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
Thanks offpink for that info.. I still kind of watch to dive it a go... those are nice watches tho, anybody have one?

I’m all for it but to do it correctly you will need a solid business plan and a huge amount of startup capital. I feel if anyone has an idea or dream they should pursue it. But having an absolutely thorough understanding of the entire industry would be crucial to its viability and success. Where and how to place your product within that would be critical. It would also be good to headhunt established members of the commercial watch trade to help shape the direction of the company.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
If your trying to create a brand with the prestige and desirability of the likes of Rolex, omega or even tag don't waste your time or money. It has taken them decades and millions of dollars in R&D and manufacturing to reach the levels they are at, not to mention the millions they spend advertising and sponsoring every year. Sorry to piss on your bonfire but it ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: Countess Koscowicz

Daher

3/7/19
How much money do you have? I can get you in contact with a manufacturer to create your own shit, will just cost you $10k+.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I still kind of watch to dive it a go...
I see what autocorrect did for you there. Nice.

I think the recurring theme of feedback here is going to be, “Money. This is going to cost money.” No one can conjure a successful brand out of thin air or an idea for a name, logo and case design without some serious capital investment. The most cost effective approach would probably be to get your watch mocked up in a 3D package, and launch a campaign on Kickstarter with a slick promo video looking for backers to fund its manufacture. That would get you an indication of how much potential it has.

Reactions: rabl253

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
I don't want to sound like the negative nanny but...

If you do a market analysis, a few things will stand out:
- Its already a very crowded market and there are well established players in all price ranges. In fact, premium watch makers have been there over 100-150 years
- Mechanical watches in general is a shrinking market. Such watches are being "replaced" by smart watches. In fact, the smart watch (apple watch) segment is only growing segment. There will always be collectors, watch enthusiasts and horology "freaks" but my own belief is that mechanical watches will die a slow death
- Customer's WTP (willingness to pay) for luxary and premium brands is because of existing reputation, resale value, dealer network, service experience and perceived brand image. That's why people pay a premium for Rolex, Patek, AP etc
- The low to medium segment of the market is already very saturated, too many players already. Customers buy these watches for the same reasons above.
- As time progresses, the number of people willing to pay more for a mechanical watch over an Apple watch is shrinking
- Mighty/Big players in this industry have the money and lawyers to squash you with IP infringement or any other reasons that the lawyers come up with. Remember what happened to TC.

Now here is my question - Do you want to enter this space?

Apple disrupted this space/market a few years back by not coming up with another mechanical model but a smart one. That is where the innovation lies and that's where we need to spend our hard earned money. My 2 cents...

Last edited:
Reactions: Countess Koscowicz

alfonzo

25/7/19
Yup money money and more money and you will still be a no name micro brand. It would take at least 20k just to get a swiss OEM to help design and make just 2 prototypes.

And that is the easy part...

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Well, see what I wanted to do was incorporate parts of historically significant case designs into one case, therefore itll have that historical presence. I have no money, no advertisering background and no idea how to do any of it, but I do think I have a really good base of an idea thats different. And I feel like if its different enough, and adds the wonder of how its done.. the watch would sell itself... itll take a while to get the design down (which I have something in mind) and come up with a prototype but hey... everything starts with a dream right?

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Smart watches are gonna last so long and the sit in somebody's collection of non working watches, same as the galaxies.. the parts are gonna because non existant at one point

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Mechanical watches, or all thing mechanical are always going to be in demand, because they are built to work, and if they break, you can fix them... its engineering it is best, if it can be replaced, there is a part for it

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
I'd hate to break it to you guys but people are going to start going mechanical again someday, and even have mechanical over rides for all their soft reliant stuff cause someday it's all going to take a dump

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Dream Big kid!
Exactly. If you can ride out the wave of negativity Mattjames84, and also get loads of money/talent/experience/luck working for you, then who’s to say it won’t happen?

I mean, it probably won’t - but who’s to say, eh?

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
I do appreciate all the feedback that may be negitaves, and I'm not being sarcastic because the negatives are a big part of making it work if I'm going to try... so wheres all the positive thoughts and people that might want to be a part of it