• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Are there any gen watches you regret buying now that you've discovered the world of reps?

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
Last year, I bought myself a Omega Speedmaster Date with a sunburst blue dial. It cost me $1,200 and another $400 to get serviced. Now that I've dipped a foot in the rep world (my new Noob Daytona is coming tomorrow), I can't help but thinking that I could have bought three quality reps for the same price. Anyone else have similar regrets?

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
I collect gens for different reasons to reps. I love reps but they won’t be as special to me as a gen. I love watches and admire how close they can be replicated at such a fraction of the cost, but the craftsmanship and history of the gens will always make them more special to me.
recently I’ve got a lot more interested in modding to acquire vintage models that are either too hard to source or unaffordable. I guess deep down I know it’s still a rep..

Reactions: axel.gold

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
For me, I've gotten interested in reps because I believe they let me 'test' out a watch without investing a considerable amount of money. I purchased a rep Daytona because I've always been a bit uncertain on how much I actually enjoy the way they look. Same for the Submariner Hulk that I eventually plan on purchasing next. If I decide after wearing the Noob Daytona for a few months that I do enjoy the way it looks on my wrist, then maybe it'll prompt me to get a gen at some point. Though with the current state of Rolex supply issues, it won't be anytime soon.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Only regret with gens is paying the AD prices. I love my gen watches, all of them.
On the other hand, reps are beaters (disposable). I wear them until they break, or I get rid of them due to lost interest.

Reactions: BobMartian

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Omega seamaster (my first gen purchase)

BTW, neither Gens or Reps OOTB are fun, it’s the modding/franken process that is the real game.

Last edited:
Reactions: freetobefree

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
I've very interested in the modding/frankening options out there. As someone with a addictive personality however, I'm just concerned that I'll fall into a rabbit hole of money/time and end up spending thousands more per watch that I intended. ;)

erklep

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/5/18
For me, I've gotten interested in reps because I believe they let me 'test' out a watch without investing a considerable amount of money. I purchased a rep Daytona because I've always been a bit uncertain on how much I actually enjoy the way they look. Same for the Submariner Hulk that I eventually plan on purchasing next. If I decide after wearing the Noob Daytona for a few months that I do enjoy the way it looks on my wrist, then maybe it'll prompt me to get a gen at some point. Though with the current state of Rolex supply issues, it won't be anytime soon.

This is the reason I originally got into reps. I purchased a speedy bc I have always loved the timeless look and iconic connections to that model. I know they run "thick" with the raise crystal on front and also the display caseback so I was hesitant to buy gen and be bummed when it looked too cumbersome. After receiving a quality rep I found I loved the way it fit my wrist and now its on my radar for a gen for sure. I'm actually hoping to score one as a wedding day gift =-)

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
As someone with two Speedys, a Speedy Pro and the Date in the picture, I can't recommend the Speedy Pro highly enough. I bought mine used in mint condition on a trip to Tokyo 5 years ago for $1,800 and I consider it one of the best buys I've ever made. Hope you get yours soon!

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Can't say I've ever regretted buying any watch. Gen or rep.

axel.gold

Known Member
5/5/19
I think al ot of us here who stick around are passionate about watches and so will have both gen and rep.

I'd ask the opposite question, how many here bought rep to only go gen after that for the same model. For me, my Rep Cartier Tank Solo Rose Gold is a perfect, but I still plan on getting a gen version - once the funds build up.

Never would have considered it though until I could wear the rep and experience the watch design in my day2day life.

Last edited:

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
I've very interested in the modding/frankening options out there. As someone with a addictive personality however, I'm just concerned that I'll fall into a rabbit hole of money/time and end up spending thousands more per watch that I intended. ;)

Tell me about it :(

Its a fun “hobby” (or more like a disease that doesn’t go away) but very time/money consuming and as you said - we end spending a lot more because of the search for “perfectness”. But I guess we all do it for the love of watches...