• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How much does a trusted dealer earn with a 400-700 Dollar watch ?

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
i would doubt anyone really knows, apart from the business owners, and i am sure thats not something they are likely to share.
there are so many variables involved, especially with new models, r&d etc etc

Reactions: Fraflo87

Fraflo87

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
17/9/18
EU
i would doubt anyone really knows, apart from the business owners, and i am sure thats not something they are likely to share.
there are so many variables involved, especially with new models, r&d etc etc

+1

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
re read that, and same applies.
td will have a margin based on amount of pieces he buys.
again, why would he share that info, i certainly would not....

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
After having bought a rep directly in china (a VSF) from a small dealer in Beijing I can say with confidence that TDs have at least a 50% mark-up compared to what they pay for it. Possibily (but cannot be sure) a 100% mark-up.

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
perhaps we should buy in bulk direct from the factory and distribute them through the RWi watch shop.;)
although i suspect with the amount n0bby has, we would be off to a good start.....

Reactions: p0pperini

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
I'm betting that for every watch accepted and sold through TD's, there are a thousand Canal St quality watches made and sold around the world. The TD's do a pretty darn good job of selecting pieces for us, all things considered.

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
Good luck measuring common sense on the internet with people half a world away............

The Fetishist

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/1/20
one thing is certain that factories require TDs to keep the same price for everyone, otherwise the TD that will make the best price will be the one that will earn the most and this is not allowed

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
one thing is certain that factories require TDs to keep the same price for everyone, otherwise the TD that will make the best price will be the one that will earn the most and this is not allowed

They are appointed TD’s here, their trusted dealer status here means nothing to the factories or in China.

Why would the factories care who makes the most money? and who said that’s not allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Indeed TD do what they want but they all stay in the same ballpark of prices because that's what being a TD mean, but those that play outside the TD status and that we don't recommend are free to do what they want with the price, even though they also want to stay in those pricings because it seems to be a good compromise between what foreigners are willing to pay and what they want to earn.

I wouldn't be so sure about those big profit margins claimed here, bear in mind that not all TD have direct factory access and that some rely on third-party wholesalers that also take their cut.

And don't think that the factories at the base of all of this don't want the bigger margin on what is sold out there, they are not dumb and wouldn't look on all of this market from a distance without wanting the bigger margin of all.

Also from all I know about direct buying over there, even if you've been told you bought this or that factory ... if you paid very low money compared to our TD, I would check twice the product ...

The Fetishist

Banned
28/1/20
They are appointed TD’s here, their trusted dealer status here means nothing to the factories or in China.

Why would the factories care who makes the most money? and who said that’s not allowed?

obviously it is my thought, but surely there must be some rule unknown to us to follow, because as you can see the TD have all the same prices, it can vary by 20 dollars among them, not more.

The Fetishist

Banned
28/1/20
Indeed TD do what they want but they all stay in the same ballpark of prices because that's what being a TD mean, but those that play outside the TD status and that we don't recommend are free to do what they want with the price, even though they also want to stay in those pricings because it seems to be a good compromise between what foreigners are willing to pay and what they want to earn.

I wouldn't be so sure about those big profit margins claimed here, bear in mind that not all TD have direct factory access and that some rely on third-party wholesalers that also take their cut.

And don't think that the factories at the base of all of this don't want the bigger margin on what is sold out there, they are not dumb and wouldn't look on all of this market from a distance without wanting the bigger margin of all.

Also from all I know about direct buying over there, even if you've been told you bought this or that factory ... if you paid very low money compared to our TD, I would check twice the product ...

we can't know exactly what is going on out there, but the reality is that all TDs more or less keep the same price

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
obviously it is my thought, but surely there must be some rule unknown to us to follow, because as you can see the TD have all the same prices, it can vary by 20 dollars among them, not more.

Well it’s not that obvious it was only your opinion, the language you used was as if it was known as fact to you.

You’re Correct, Here they have the same prices, yes. But you’re only looking from an RWI standpoint, and thats a forum requirement As Glaude mentioned.

You said, you knew “for sure” “factories require” them to keep the same prices as they don’t allow one earning more than the other. You sounded like you knew this as fact.

I can tell you now lot of other dealers in China do not know the websites of the TDs here and prices will vary a lot for the same product.

The Fetishist

Banned
28/1/20
Well it’s not that obvious it was only your opinion, the language you used was as if it was known as fact to you.

You’re Correct, Here they have the same prices, yes. But you’re only looking from an RWI standpoint, and thats a forum requirement As Glaude mentioned.

You said, you knew “for sure” “factories require” them to keep the same prices as they don’t allow one earning more than the other. You sounded like you knew this as fact.

I can tell you now lot of other dealers in China do not know the websites of the TDs here and prices will vary a lot for the same product.

It is possible that I expressed myself wrong, but let's take an example, a daytona that trustytime and pureretime sell for $ 418 instead of $ 358 imtime deciding to earn less than they do, but I think the TD is not allowed to lower the price compared to the competition

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
It is possible that I expressed myself wrong, but let's take an example, a daytona that trustytime and pureretime sell for $ 418 instead of $ 358 imtime deciding to earn less than they do, but I think the TD is not allowed to lower the price compared to the competition

Here maybe yes. As I said, dealers very widely outside the forum