• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Impact of coronavirus outbreak on reps

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
I don’t think you read the article (clearly you didn’t). The woman fled despite knowing she had the symptoms- she just didn’t care about the implications.

Where’s my tracking info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
I don’t think you read the article (clearly you didn’t). The woman fled despite knowing she had the symptoms- she just didn’t care about the implications.

i did read the article. I don’t think you understood the point i was trying to make.

People will always flee from an area where there is illness regardless of if they are ill or not.

Last edited:

lolo1972sg

Certified
3/10/15
Sillypore
Hello everyone,

I'm sure you all have read about the serious outbreak of the coronavirus in China and how earlier Wuhan and now a few other cities are being put on lockdown. Those who don't know about the outbreak are probably living in a cave :p

It made me think about our beloved makers and TDs.

So, starting this thread to see

1. What is your take on the short term impact on the supply etc

2. Has anyone wondered what if the package or the watch was infected because it was handled by an infected person

Just because I had some free time ;)

Cheers

Well, for those of you who have placed your orders before the CNY, you might just have to wait longer. Rumours now on the ground are that some factories might delay their reopening because of the outbreak.

Reactions: johnlogan

GlobetrotterBoy

24/3/17
It is not true that it can't be submitted via indirect transmission. Droplets spread on items can be transmitted if one gets exposed to it before they disintegrate. Or so I've read.

Reactions: erekose and lmagg00

SnKk

Renowned Member
1/12/16
The lifespan of a virus "in the open air" outside the human body is relatively short.
Between 1 hour and several days depending on the virus.

It also depends on the contact surface, the external environment... (temperatures, humidity levels...)

Let's imagine an infected Chinese watchmaker that assembles your watch and coughs on it.
She's then stored, packed, shipped, passes in trucks, waits at the sorting center, gets on the plane in a hold between 5 and 10°, changes climate, arrives in your country, waits at the sorting center, gets on trucks, arrives in your mailbox. And all this between 10 and 20 days depending on the country...

Frankly, the chance of catching the virus is almost nil, especially if you don't lick the watch it comes from.
If you really want to be careful, put gloves and mask on when opening the package, throw it away quickly and disinfect the watch.
But it's more for your peace of mind.

Reactions: leo6929

erekose

Renowned Member
Supporter
13/2/12
Tokyo
If you believed you were healthy and were imprisoned in a city of the damned / plagued / flue’d you’d try and escape too. Most people would. I would.
She knew she was sick. I wouldn't, many people would not. I saw an American teacher in Wuhan taking about how she won't leave because she might infect others.

I'm in Japan and don't need idiots like this coming here...though we already have had a few....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TastyTreats

21/5/12
Never Land
You would probably have more chance of getting the wrong watch you ordered than picking up something off the parcel.

I dare say this is going to get a little worse before it gets better.

Most don't even know they have as trends are telling us 1-2 weeks before symptoms hit.

Run for your lives there is a shit cloud coming.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17

No one knows that yet.

Caution and containment are required, and a sense of perspective - 150,000 people died from measles last year.

Bill_C

21/10/19
North of Mexico, South of Canada

While I suspect this was said tounge-in-cheek, this type of thinking is why the market took a dump yesterday and my portfolio is down.

Panic is more contagious than the virus itself. Thankfully the market is shaking it off like a bad hangover.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lmagg00

30/3/18
CONUS
While I suspect this was said tounge-in-cheek, this type of thinking is why the market took a dump yesterday and my portfolio is down.

Panic is more contagious than the virus itself. Thankfully the market is shaking it off like a bad hangover.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreed! But I doubled my holdings of Boeing, Visa and Nvidia first thing in the morning and I’m already in the green. There’s still time though! Got for it.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
I have friends that have left Wuhan for Bangkok, I have friends in south Guangzhou & I have friends in Chengdu. Im informed first hand that the situation is pretty hairy in China. Im waiting to hear back from Yantian, but China has shut down until Feb 3rd , schools, factories , offices, Macdonalds etc. People are scared shitless. We will probably see massive delays in REP orders going forward. I have 4 x PAMs that I probably will not see until March.

All the best to the guys on the ground over there. Apparently CV is no joke.

Reactions: sputim and leo6929

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
Reps will always be around.

Good luck to the people in China, this situation couldn't have hit at a a worse time - Chinese New Year celebrations.

lmagg00

30/3/18
CONUS
I have friends that have left Wuhan for Bangkok, I have friends in south Guangzhou & I have friends in Chengdu. Im informed first hand that the situation is pretty hairy in China. Im waiting to hear back from Yantian, but China has shut down until Feb 3rd , schools, factories , offices, Macdonalds etc. People are scared shitless. We will probably see massive delays in REP orders going forward. I have 4 x PAMs that I probably will not see until March.

All the best to the guys on the ground over there. Apparently CV is no joke.

Given that you know people there, what’s the sense you got about the news that the official numbers given out by the Chinese government are not true and underestimated on purpose?