• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

For those with large collections: How many watches are in your rotation?

For those with large collections: How many watches are in your rotation?

• I only have a few watches and I think you are Crazy for having so many watches

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I have lots of watches, but 1 or 2 get almost all of my wrist time

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have lots of watches, but a few (3-5) get wrist time

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I have lots of watches and I get at least 7 watches into the rotation

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have lots of watches and I get every watch into my rotation no matter how many I currently have.

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I have been thinking about this lately as for me I am wondering why I am keeping so many watches. The best answer I can come up with right now it that they are all so nice that I just can't bring myself to sell them even though logically I know I should. I currenty have 19 watches but I only wear 3 on any sort of regular basis. It makes me think maybe I should sell my 12 spot watch box and buy one quite a bit smaller and purge the rest. I have 16 others but the only 3 that get wrist time are my Seiko 62 Mas Remake sbdc051, VSF Omega 2018 Seamaster smp 300 & my Noob Breitling SuperOcean 2 44.

I am thinking that this question mostly applies to anyone that has at least 7 watches, but I have provided an answer for those that have smaller collections as well.
How about you, what is your rotation like?

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It'll be interesting to see how this poll looks after a number of responses. I'm closest to an "option 4" - with 50+ watches I try to vary what I wear, but I do have a small number that get more repeated wear than others, some I barely ever wear, and some that I've worn only once.

Reactions: gilrob

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Back to 3 watches in rotation per week now, although for several months I only wore the Noob Daytona. It is still in regular rotation.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
My rotation is incredibly sporadic. Sometimes I’ll wear three different watches in a day. Other times, I’ll stick with the same one for a week or longer. I have ~80 watches in my collection and my daily preferences are driven by both convenience and dalliance. I don’t feel that I owe it to a watch to wear it — if one watch serves a specific need (looks great with a certain tux or is perfect for a day on the sea) I’ll keep it to wear once a year just to know I have it and to look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
I find that I go through obsessive phases where I wear one watch every day straight for a week and then only sporadically for 3 months, and then I rediscover my love for it somehow and start wearing it obsessively again, rinse repeat.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a 19 watch collection.

I have a few watches that I never wear unless as a tool (looking at you heart rate monitor watch) and then some that have sentimental value and I never wear (burger king happy meal toy). I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I do wear them once a year or so just to wear them, but it's there for the memories not for the style.

I do think a 55 watch collection is excessive though. Once you're pushing 20ish watches IMO, you ought to reconsider your life choices, that money could be making 8% in the stock market after all... A few pieces for sentimental value is okay. Too many is hoarding.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
6 full watch boxes...I get around to all of them eventually, but entirely depends on mood of the day. There are time I will wear a watch for 2 weeks, and some others only a few hours.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
36 watches, like 3-5 in rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psssniper

Supporter
Certified
25/4/17
Somewhere around 70 watches. I'll see someones wrist shot and say "oh hey that nice!" and dig though the box to see if I have one. Lately it been the TC YachtMaster, Noob Daytona 116500, B&R 03-93 a recent pickup from RWI, Bulova Accutron Astronaut found in a thrift store, also picked up a Ploprof from DreadPirateRobert in black and lo and behold i have a white one in the box. Been wearing them both lately. Its just random and fun.

schlonz

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/16
roughly 55 to choose from
have my office watch that I wear for a week then change while wearing a different one (or two lol) in the evening and changing maybe 2-3 on the weekends
I do have my favourites that get more time than others but that changes with weather and mood

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
25 watches, one gets 40% of the wrist time, other three gets 50% and all the rest share the 10% that remains.

I feel no guilt.

Reactions: Nivka

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Problem with rotating within a large collection is display and visibility, I have numerous boxes and a drawer full of watches that I forget about till I need a pair of socks. Love to have a wall system built to display them.
For the rotation part, I work outdoors and most of them are to nice for construction so i make it a habit to wear a different one around the house. Been here going on 3 yrs now with about 50 pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toni-CH

Horology Curious
31/1/19
Yurup
60+ watches. 48 and 12 main boxes + some smaller ones. The 12 watch box contains my current favorites which are in rotation. I keep changing the selection when I feel bored or want something new to wear but It does have maybe 6-7 more permanent members.

Reactions: p0pperini

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
I used to have a big collection (45+, 3/5 were old Seiko and Orient), sold most of it as I couldn't justify having them sitting in a drawer. I now have about 18 watches, the rule I made is: If it stays in the drawer for over 3 months, it is for sale.

I try to wear at least 9 per month but on average wear about 6 pieces every month.

Reactions: rabl253

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
When I get a new watch everything else stays in the box for a week or so. Then back to daily change full rotation of all the watches . Often two different watches in a day

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Currently at 15, but I've been as high as 30 in my collection before. ideally I would like to be at 12, but I'm at a point where I really don't have anything to cut.

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
I have about 25. Three get 70% of my wrist time (gen 16610LN, franken 116200, noob 116500), 3 get 20% (TC 16610LN, franken1680, noob bluesy) and the remainder get 10%

Reactions: D Ramone

D Ramone

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/7/18
UK
I have about 25. Three get 70% of my wrist time (gen 16610LN, franken 116200, noob 116500), 3 get 20% (TC 16610LN, franken1680, noob bluesy) and the remainder get 10%

7 seems to be a good and sensible number. I currently have 5 and I’m only looking for one more which sadly is no longer available.

Even if I had loads of money available I wouldn’t want a large collection of replicas. For the same money as 30 decent reps you could have 4 or 5 beautiful gens. I would take the gens over the reps any day.

Bill_C

21/10/19
North of Mexico, South of Canada
I have 20+ and they are a mix of low and high-ish value / rep and gen. I have my first rep bought in Korea in the 90's. Cool little DJ that never gets worn and hardly ever even looked at, but I hold on to it as a reminder of how far this hobby has come.

On average I wear 4-5 different watches a week and those change with the weather or activity. I have winter watches, summer watches, beater watches and dress watches. Should some go? Probably. Am I concerned about that? Nope.

At the end of the day your conscience should determine your collection size, not the frequency of wear... but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk