• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How Good is Good Enough?????

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
While sifting through the many reviews of latest rep offerings, it's clear that most of the criticisms are focused on some very minuscule flaws these days. Given the fact that rep prices are quickly escalating as the factories deal with trying to make a 100% cosmetic rep, when is enough, enough? I sunk $700 into one of the Noob Pepsi GMT's only to have the movement fail the first week, in spite of reading the setting instructions and treating it with kid gloves. After a movement swap to 2836 ICHS, I'm now into the piece for just under $1100. Gorgeous watch cosmetically, but worth $1100? NOT.

Today's Rolex reps are amazingly accurate, but the price point has escalated to as high as $600-$700. When do we reach a point cosmetically, where even higher prices are no longer justified? I never find myself looking at my reps through a magnifying glass and when looking at them on my wrist, they look to be nearly perfect. Certainly, better movements that have been properly assembled and calibrated, would justify somewhat higher prices, of course.

Done venting for now..........

Reactions: schlonz and RobSe1

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Individually subjective as far as "what's good enough".

As long as the luxury brands continue to escalate the retail pricing while limiting the supply, the grey market will drive prices even higher. Of course the Replica market will continue to increase prices with minimal and sporadic quality improvements.

Quite frankly, as long as replicas appeal to consumers willing to spend more money on cheap materials assembled to resemble the gen brands, rep pricing will continue to increase.

mew

18/12/15
Germany
I sunk $700 into one of the Noob Pepsi GMT's only to have the movement fail the first week,

That actually sounds like a refund case. But tbh, there is a reason why these movements are classified as time bombs and why most members stay away from them.

I do think that noob got quite greedy in the last year and that a lot of their offerings are way below value (with exception to maybe the 4130). There are fantastic bargains from VSF / ZZF etc. I try to stay in the 300-400 bracket and rather invest some more money into a gen crystal / dwo.

bubblegummers

Known Member
15/12/18
Rep market is also partly driven by consumers who are tired of the supply scarcity and massive grey market premiums of the gen. I'd happily buy a 116500 or 5711 at retail if available; but at grey market prices it doesn't make sense, especially as these are simple steel watches with very simple complications. That's what moved me towards reps, and diverting my funds to proper gen watches with proper complications.

Reactions: Nivka

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Most people regard the pricetag of the Noob BLRO GMT as ridiculous especially when combined with that movement. Nevertheless, everyone who bought one would have known about both - so you can’t be salty about either.

A lot of the talked about flaws are actually quite big - Date font, cyclops, crystal, though I agree there are some which are just silly - the length of an ‘=‘ sign, the engraving on a case you can’t even see...

Like any commodity, they are worth what people are prepared to pay, which given the frustration in the real Rolex market driving people to the dark side, with the help of Watchfinder, is a lot.

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
IMO the high price of a rep is driven by number of reasons: the nature of business (risky), technology (factory), dealers and us (buyers). The more we demand reps to be closer to gen, the more expensive it gets.

I own several reps that are far from close to gen, and I am happy with the watches and it only costed me couple hundred dolars.

So it is up to you to chase a rep that you think is excellent and it will cost you more for sure. Are you ok with BP rolex not Noob? Do you reject your QC often to search for perfection?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
It depends on a number of factors, not least of which is reliability of movement. I am STOKED with my franken 116200 with serviced sh3135. It’s as reliable as my gen 3135 and is 50% gen for 15% of the cost. Similarly I love my noob 116500 with cf bezel and $2,50 after market retaining ring. I would never pay for a noob chs 3186 because the movement is an unreliable time bomb. The law of diminishing returns is inescapable in this hobby.

Reactions: efajri

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The law of diminishing returns. I have $150 - $250 watches I'm happy with, despite the fact they aren't perfect copies.

When you spend $600 + on a rep, the flaws frustrate and that's all you end up seeing.

mew

18/12/15
Germany
The law of diminishing returns. I have $150 - $250 watches I'm happy with, despite the fact they aren't perfect copies.

When you spend $600 + on a rep, the flaws frustrate and that's all you end up seeing.

Hell, my first rep was a Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17RS2 (I know, hell of a name) quartz replica for 60$, bought in the streets in Malaysia 10 years ago. That watch brought me joy for years without end and actually came with a sapphire crystal.

I realised building my franken Kermit, that it doesn't actually make me more happy knowing that with gen movement parts and a gen crystal, gen dw, the watch is easily worth 1500$.

I'm more happy with a good working rep that's 400$ and knowing that if I ever lose it, I won't lose much sleep over it.

Reactions: efajri