• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How Much Have You Spent?

bubblegummers

Known Member
15/12/18
Have you guys thought of maybe channelling some of your spending towards some gens with complications, rather than have so many reps? I have 5 reps; 4 of which probably sees my wrist once every 2 months. I however like spending on good value gens; so far I have a Swiss tourbillon & a perpetual calendar plus various other boring mainstream gens. Seriously considering the UN Freak X next, and the Frederique Constant perpetual calendar tourbillon.

I do love reps as beaters but somehow having some serious complication on the wrist just brings the experience up one notch for me.

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
serious complication on the wrist just brings the experience up one notch for me.

There are definitely some people that experience that. Personally, I don't get the appeal of having a Rube Goldberg machine on-wrist. There are some overly complicated unnecessary complications that are impressive (the Jaquet Droz bird repeaters come to mind) but that doesn't evoke a desire in me to own them - let them sit in a museum somewhere I guess.

Now ever finer engineering in the service of man, that I can fux with. There are places, like Omega space and the Alaska projects where quartz is actually worse performing than mechanical, but if its complications you want, IMO High accuracy quartz is cool, like the twin quartz seikos from the 70s, those are cool. I look forward to the day I can wear an atomic clock with measuring the radiation off a cesium atom on my wrist. HAQ? pshaw

AlphaProt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
After updating my spreadsheet with the older reps I got.. currently sitting at 20.1k LOL.

Hi my name is down_under.
Im not an addict. I don’t need help. Just 1 more watch then I will stop. Honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TastyTreats

21/5/12
Never Land
Well ill be damned, I was only thinking of this the other day.

I did at the time, boldly put a figure on it.

Been around the traps for awhile now and I would think its $10K USD plus over a handful of years.

It got me thinking who is the winner in all of this???

The modders, the TD's, the watchsmiths or us members/hunters and collectors?

I guess we all Winners.

The thrill of the hunt for a better piece is what drives us all.

The excitement that builds when tracking details hit our account. The anxiety that builds when its closer to arrival time and ofcourse the immense joy opening that package and seeing it land on the wrist.

Thats why we spend the $$$.

I too am an avid addict which I know one more watch will cure.

Focker Out !

Last edited:

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Fun idea OP. I recently updated my insurance rider for jewelry (reps count as costume jewelry, btw) and have some rough numbers: 25k in reps, 12k in micro brands and an embarrassing number in gens. Over about a decade in collecting, I’d say I’ve spent in the 45-50k range in reps and micro brands and have generally lost money in selling both. I lump gens and micros together because they’re all made in China or HK, use the same movement and are very rarely original.

That said, the hobby is worth every penny and I regret very few acquisitions / dispositions. The ride is the pleasure that money can only rent ...

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: frankfrank

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
This is actually the first time I am thinking about how much I have spent... So let's see:
Reps:
1. Planet Ocean + Regmariner = approx. $400
2. Cheap Seamaster 300m dhgate = $60
3. Franken 116610 = probably like $2.5k (NoobV9 + gen parts)
4. VSF Seamaster 300m = $400
5. VSF Ceramic/Titanium = $400
so reps sum up to approx. $3,800

Gens?
1. Planet Ocean = $5k
2. Speedmaster = $4k
3. Seamaster 300m RG => $5.5k
4. Modded Seiko = $800
5. Citizen = $500
6. Tissot = $500
7. Atlantic = $250
8. Casio Royale = $150
so gens sum up to approx. $16,500

So it seems I just reached $20k on watches... holy f*ck... (in the rep game since Jan. 2018; collecting gens since 2010).

Reactions: leo6929

Cranberry2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/3/19
Joined 2019....
About 3,5K euros...

Easier to spend up to 500-600...then once 3,5k ????

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
7. nobby - 16.5k for 55 wins the Cheapie medallion for best cost average (not proven by pics though)
I’d like to thanks Nembo over on RG for helping me keep down the average cost with a series of bargain buys, and ditto M at Marvellous Replica for those lovely $100 JKF Roleys.

However, I’m now concerned about the effect that being placed on a league table is going to have on me... I’ve already bought another two watches since posting my confession, and can feel the pressure building to aim for a place in the top half of the table...

And regarding lack of photo evidence, I post wristies of a different watch every day dammit! :)

Reactions: rabl253 and Tompa

Dmage

Known Member
4/7/19
$105 so far, will be $205 next month.
Seems crazily low compared to you guys.

... it’s to support RWI, worth every penny :)

Reactions: p0pperini

AlphaProt

Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
I’d like to thanks Nembo over on RG for helping me keep down the average cost with a series of bargain buys, and ditto M at Marvellous Replica for those lovely $100 JKF Roleys.

However, I’m now concerned about the effect that being placed on a league table is going to have on me... I’ve already bought another two watches since posting my confession, and can feel the pressure building to aim for a place in the top half of the table...

And regarding lack of photo evidence, I post wristies of a different watch every day dammit! :)

Game on brother! Game on! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: p0pperini and Tompa

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
@schlonz ROFL Awesome!

I'm impressed with how much some of you have spent! WOW! I've managed to stay under E£15,000 EGP in the last year on reps.

Reactions: C Master

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Crazy thread this. Interesting to read how much this spending spree bugs gonna hurt me. I can project to these other guys.

As I am at 12000 usd since April 2019 on reps incl exotic straps hehe. It has helped though to have a one-in-one-out rule.

What confuses me the most.... Are these reps preventing me from buying a “x” figure gen, are they just delaying it or promoting it? Sometimes I’m close to pulling the trigger and I wonder if the reps are creating or relieving the itch.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlphaProt

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
TBH I don't want to think about it. I have circa 230 watches worth noting, that's excluding junkers or anything worth under 100 bucks or so.

OMG!!! 230... You ARE the Champions League sir :)

Skickat från min Sputnik satellit