• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How Much Have You Spent?

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19
Clothing and accessory expenses.

The DSM-5 TR should be out in May. They are accepting proposals for alterations. I am told strictly in confidence that "Watch Addiction", with sub categories of "rep watch addiction", "needing the newest version of the noob sub disorder" and "franken compulsive disorder" will indeed be included in the final release.

Hahaha been laughing my way through this thread. Especially liked the DSM comment.

Additional sub categories

“Franken seeking behavior”

“Rep hoarding NOS”

I’ve been in the hobby since last summer - around 7 months now.

Since that time I’ve had up to 45 reps at a time, but recently started selling some off the shave the collection down. In around 30 now which includes a few micros.

Have also obtained two gens in that time - pam796 destro and sub-c no date 114060

All told I’m probably in about 10k in reps plus another 1-2k in straps (caught the Pam bug, you know how that goes).

Around 15k on the gens

Get much more pleasure out of wearing the reps - when the gen is on wrist I stay several feet away from any objects harder than stainless (insert joke here) (insert insertion joke here)

Sent from the RWI App

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Get much more pleasure out of wearing the reps - when the gen is on wrist I stay several feet away from any objects harder than stainless

Exactly. I feel uncomfortable with anything more than 2k on my wrist. Only exception being my 16803 Franken which I wear like a beater, as it should be worn for a vintage watch.

fuzzmex

2/9/17
Good Lord!
I never thought this could be such an expensive and addictive endeavour.
I'm nowhere near any of the figures I see here.
There's just too many other things I enjoy that cost money as well, like traveling, eating out or learning to fly, which make it easier for me to exercise restraint
To each his own of course, but personally I find having 5 watches plenty enough to rotate without getting bored by them.
In my eyes they are just a bit of male jewelry, rather than timekeeping pieces.
After all, any mechanical watch is hopelessly imprecise when it comes to that.
Still, I understand very well how one could get lost in this hobby.

schlonz

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/16
Good Lord!
I never thought this could be such an expensive and addictive endeavour.
I'm nowhere near any of the figures I see here.
There's just too many other things I enjoy that cost money as well, like traveling, eating out or learning to fly, which make it easier for me to exercise restraint
To each his own of course, but personally I find having 5 watches plenty enough to rotate without getting bored by them.
In my eyes they are just a bit of male jewelry, rather than timekeeping pieces.
After all, any mechanical watch is hopelessly imprecise when it comes to that.
Still, I understand very well how one could get lost in this hobby.

I think you should get yourself checked out by a shrink quite soon.

The behaviour and opinion you put forth sounds a little strange to me.

Think about whether your driving alone on the side of the road where all other normal and reasonable (in your opinion ) people are driving are is the correct side of the road whilst everyone else is driving the opposite direction.

Just trying to be helpful

fuzzmex

2/9/17
I think you should get yourself checked out by a shrink quite soon.

The behaviour and opinion you put forth sounds a little strange to me.

Think about whether your driving alone on the side of the road where all other normal and reasonable (in your opinion ) people are driving are is the correct side of the road whilst everyone else is driving the opposite direction.

Just trying to be helpful

My opinion may well seem strange to you, but that is no reason for an abusive reply.
Nothing in my post suggests I claim to know what is "normal and reasonable" (your quote, not mine).
​The logic of your road analogy is lost on me, so I couldn't sensibly comment on it.
Your attempt at being sarcastic in your last sentence is ironic, as your earlier post in this thread suggests you're rather hung up on addiction and the need for medical attention yourself.
If you had bothered to read my text carefully, you might have noticed I did not condemn, accuse or ridicule anyone here.
It would suit you to do likewise.

Last edited:

schlonz

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/16
My opinion may well seem strange to you, but that is no reason for an abusive reply.

sorry mate
obviously my attempt to be funny failed miserably
no intent on my behalf to state you not being normal or reasonable
in fact, I tried to make clear (and failed) that you seem to be the only normal and reasonable person around with the rest of us being the ghost driver heading the wrong direction
hopefully the rest of the crowd did not perceive my statement as adversely as you
apologees for that

fuzzmex

2/9/17
sorry mate

Thanks for clearing that up, I really appreciate that.
I honestly did not see you were intending on having the opposite effect with your post.
But I'm not a native speaker, which might explain.
I'd be the last person to proclaim I'm normal or reasonable BTW :)
Again, I appreciate your mea culpa, the kind of which is rare in this era of social media.
Have a good one wherever you are mate!

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I think i must have about £10k of reps in the boxes. 30 is a good number (one for every day of the month...). Probably bought and sold about that many again though, im sure everyone here has bought many watches they flip within a week. Its much more cost effective than buying a gen just to see it you like it, or at least thats what i keep telling myself. Plus like a lot of people i find it fun taking them apart, wouldn't dream of taking an expensive gen apart though. Im just doing my bit to keep royal mail in business :p

Reactions: rabl253 and schlonz

bgreg

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/12
Florida
Best advice ever.....
lol

This was just one of my watch boxes. I've sold most of these.

collection-549.jpg

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
Just bought my first rep, the Noob Daytona V3 with panda dial so a grand total of about $700. The watch hasn't even arrived yet but I'm already thinking about placing an order with BK for an ARF Hulk. I've got 6 gens in my collection so it'd be nice to have six reps to match. :)

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Just bought my first rep, the Noob Daytona V3 with panda dial so a grand total of about $700. The watch hasn't even arrived yet but I'm already thinking about placing an order with BK for an ARF Hulk. I've got 6 gens in my collection so it'd be nice to have six reps to match. :)

Congrats on your first!! This hobby is quite addictive (and expensive), your collection will grow exponentially.

Buying reps is like a vacation. You think about the next one while looking at the current one. I started with one and now I am over 25 :)

JYK52800

Known Member
22/1/20
California
Oh I have no doubt that my collections of reps is going to grow quickly. I've already got my next four purchases planned out. I'm just hoping to spend less than five figures.

markie1

Horology Curious
11/6/18
Wow I only have 6 reps and I thought I was getting deep into the rep game.. although I do own quite a few gens

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
Probably $300 per year since 2005 on gens and homages.

Then $2900 since June 2019 when I finally gave into my rep addiction. 8 months. yikes.
I think it comes from making want lists for a few years before opening the flood gates. Most of my boxes are ticked now, just a few more to go. I swear. Then that's it.

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
About $2500 but over 30 watches experienced so far. I just keep 6.

3 in rotation, 3 permanent.

I'm content that at the slightest financial trouble I can liquefy the watches for coin. Otherwise I'm content experiencing different brands and different mods/builds. It's an exciting time/hobby! All thanks to this forum, mods and the amazing community.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: valueprop

AlphaProt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
About $2500 but over 30 watches experienced so far. I just keep 6.

3 in rotation, 3 permanent.

I'm content that at the slightest financial trouble I can liquefy the watches for coin. Otherwise I'm content experiencing different brands and different mods/builds. It's an exciting time/hobby! All thanks to this forum, mods and the amazing community.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Im telling your wife you got 6 watches, 3 of which are in rotations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kennygconspiracy