• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bought a rep, seizes by customs (Belgium) -> Letter from lawyer's office demanding €250

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
A friend ordered fake clothing and got a letter a year ago, he called to ask what it was about, they told him "the clothing you ordered is fake, we had Gucci send someone to verify it for us". He denied ordering anything and said it was probably someone who ordered it to his address. They didn't follow up or send anything else after that phone call, think OP will be just fine by ignoring the letter.

Reactions: Rolemars

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Belgian news has reported that a 21 year old medical student was arrested at his home on Wednesday. Belgian Customs officials seized 17 fake watches, 12 pairs of fake sneakers and 3 bottles of fake perfume.
The guy risks up to 6 years in prison and a 120,000 euros fine.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I remember some guy about 2 years ago was going to full on take his rep case to court - the thread died here but went on over at RWG. He was a trainee lawyer or something - and from Belgium / Benelux - he went quiet too.

Maybe Rolex got a black ops team in that part of the world.

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
My own experience: 3 IWC Big Pilots seized. I actually went to customs office. They shown me these watches and said “they are fakes or not - if you want them, we need to calculate a fee for that. “ I said: “that’s crazy! It is like three months ago I asked some Chinese watch building company for few examples of their work to be used as an advertising gifts to my customers. I have received several packages with examples and will decide which design to choose. And now this... cannot accept them!” So they said: you can reject the reception and we will simply send it back. Let it be - I said. Watches got back to dealer and were resent again, this time with triangle shipping....

Last edited:
Reactions: rabl253 and gilrob

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I remember some guy about 2 years ago was going to full on take his rep case to court - the thread died here but went on over at RWG. He was a trainee lawyer or something - and from Belgium / Benelux - he went quiet too.

Maybe Rolex got a black ops team in that part of the world.

Exactly, he did not listen my advice on this matter (or any other advice) and was decided to fight it, I don't know what happened next since the guy never updated his topic

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Exactly, he did not listen my advice on this matter (or any other advice) and was decided to fight it, I don't know what happened next since the guy never updated his topic

Probably doing 20. No chance of parole.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Probably doing 20. No chance of parole.

I'd say : probably not did what he said he would, and haven't bought any other rep by fear of dropping the soap later on ...

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I would try to google the "law firm" that sent the letter and see if it comes up as a scam.

Oh it's not a scam, those are legitimate law firms commissioned by the brands to do that type of work, but they get paid whether they complete a case or not, so it doesn't really matter for them for such low quantity of products

Reactions: keivoc123

Typelements

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/8/19
EU
Curious how this went down in the end? After an error by the shipping company not using triangular shipping, I received the same (registered) letter today from a firm representing Omega within Belgium. Asking to submit all details about the buying process, dealer, a 250 euro fine, and allowing them to destroy the watch. It also included about 10 pictures of the watch and the package. If I do all of that they will not start a lawsuit against me. Also included is a draft agreement to sign and send back within a week that claims I imported the watch and agree with the destruction and fine of 250 euro.

Looking at the forum everyone states; just ignore the letter. Can I also do this with the registered letter? Of course, I never ordered anything, maybe one of my Instagram followers send me a gift or something, no idea... I don't want to contact them by phone or email because they then have those details as well.

Last edited:

loewenzahn

Mythical Poster
16/12/14
Germany
Just ignore the letter. As long as it's coming from a firm, it has no legal meaning. In the moment you'd get a letter from the customs bureau or the official legal department you have to answer accordingly, of course. As was described here by several members, strategy is that you did not order a counterfeit watch - instead it was a homage watch offered and purchased... just for example.
Most important sentence from Belge customs ecc link is :
  • You buy a counterfeit product on the internet
    Customs has permission to seize and destroy your counterfeit product. The associated costs are for the trademark holder, but, in its turn, the trademark holder could charge them on to you, depending on the national law. In Belgium, it could also require damages, except if you are able to demonstrate that you purchased in good faith (for example, the website indicates no trademark, the price is credible, etc.). In our country, you do not risk a legal sanction as consumer. In other European countries, a punishment may well apply.

Typelements

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/8/19
EU
Just ignore the letter. As long as it's coming from a firm, it has no legal meaning. In the moment you'd get a letter from the customs bureau or the official legal department you have to answer accordingly, of course. As was described here by several members, strategy is that you did not order a counterfeit watch - instead it was a homage watch offered and purchased... just for example.

I'm indeed ignoring the letter and should the law firm send a follow up I will respond with a very short letter that I did not order anything and that I am unaware of the whole package as Cicero advised me. I will keep you updated on the outcome. In the meantime, the watches are being resent to a different address and on a different name.

Last edited:

Tig990

Known Member
6/5/19
I'm indeed ignoring the letter and should the law firm send a follow up I will respond with a very short letter that I did not order anything and that I am unaware of the whole package as Cicero advised me. I will keep you updated on the outcome. In the meantime, the watches are being resent to a different address and on a different name.

If the law firm sends a follow up, ignore that letter too.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Don't sign anything

Where do you live? In the USA it's not against the law to own or even buy counterfeit items. Only to sell them.

I can't imagine this is accurate. I would look into it but deny everything and tell them to gfy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
My advice is way outdated. Nevermind.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk