• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF 36 DJ with a gen or better date wheel - questions

Samsmitty

Horology Curious
5/1/20
Hello everyone.

I am new to all of this and was wondering if anyone could provide some help.

I am looking to purchase a ARF 36 DJ and I would like to replace the date wheel so it looks more like a gen.

Will this date wheel fit on this watch?

date wheel:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Rol...wAAOSwCGVcrtik

watch:

https://puretimewatch.io/datejust-36...et-sh3135.html

The date wheel is pretty expensive so I was wondering if anyone knew where I could purchase a rep one that looks better than the ARF one.
Also how do you replace the date wheel? Does anyone know someone who does it? Or should I try and find someone where I live.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
The price on these gen roulettes will hold pretty firm as they are not easy to come by. The one you have linked is def in the right ball park. I paid around £180 for mine. If your going to go to the trouble of replacing the dw on the arf I would suggest there’s no other [better] way than gen.

if your less fussed take take a look at the djf dj 36 but the arf is overall much better if you disregard the dw/ cyclops issue.

Last edited:

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
Generally speaking there are lots of dwo for non clone movements but I haven’t come across any rep dw for the sh3135 but other members might be able to help you, as I said though my suggestion would be to go gen then the arf becomes an incredibly close to gen rep, switch the crystal hands and dial and you have a superfranken.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
I bought genuine, but I’ve seen some people mention that there might be a noob datewheel people can buy from a TD for $15 or maybe it was $30 and that they think it’s not awful. Sorry that I don’t know any more detail to share about that though

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
From what I heard, there is a newer version of the ARF 36mm with a new corrected date wheel, it could be version 3. I suggest you look into it.

Samsmitty

Horology Curious
5/1/20
Generally speaking there are lots of dwo for non clone movements but I haven’t come across any rep dw for the sh3135 but other members might be able to help you, as I said though my suggestion would be to go gen then the arf becomes an incredibly close to gen rep, switch the crystal hands and dial and you have a superfranken.

So the gen should fit on this watch. The watch should pretty much look perfect correct? Like the dial isnt that much far off from a gen rolex.

trendconcept

Renowned Member
13/6/16
The date wheel on the ARF V3 still sucks. It's a real pity. A genuine date wheel is a must.

Does it have to be a Roulette DW? Because the normal ones (all numbers black) would be a lot cheaper. A new one is available for $150, a used one for $100.

I used an ARF Datejust 36 as a base for my Genstein.

Rep

Genstein

In my eyes, the differences between the rep and the gen roman dial are quite drastic.

Countess Koscowicz

1/1/20
UK
So the gen should fit on this watch. The watch should pretty much look perfect correct? Like the dial isnt that much far off from a gen rolex.

The arf dial is pretty decent, obviously nothing will ever match the true clarity of a gen dial but on the wrist unless you are a watch nerd or work for an ad you won’t be called out. Depending on colour you can pick up a gen dial from £200-800 for the 116234 but essentially the only thing you’d need to change is the dw. And yes the arf has a 3135 clone movement so it will accept gen parts - sometimes there can be some compatibility issues but nothing a good watch smith can’t manage - I would suggest getting the movement serviced before use too as they can become temperamental otherwise

Reactions: Linky80

trendconcept

Renowned Member
13/6/16
The arf dial is pretty decent, obviously nothing will ever match the true clarity of a gen dial but on the wrist unless you are a watch nerd or work for an ad you won’t be called out. Depending on colour you can pick up a gen dial from £200-800 for the 116234 but essentially the only thing you’d need to change is the dw. And yes the arf has a 3135 clone movement so it will accept gen parts - sometimes there can be some compatibility issues but nothing a good watch smith can’t manage - I would suggest getting the movement serviced before use too as they can become temperamental otherwise

Absolutely right. Maybe just an addition. For the DW to fit into the SH3135 movement and to get the date perfectly centered, it might be necessary to make some adjustments on the asian movement. Many people build in a gen Rolex 3135-600 Date Indicator Seating:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-3135...enuine-Rolex-Part-Sealed-Package/222757342037

Samsmitty

Horology Curious
5/1/20

ok so just clarifying.

im going to get this watch
https://puretimewatch.io/datejust-36...et-sh3135.html

with the roulette dial
and i should ask the watchmaker to service the movement before he replaces the date dial?

thank you for all your help

Last edited:

Samsmitty

Horology Curious
5/1/20
Absolutely right. Maybe just an addition. For the DW to fit into the SH3135 movement and to get the date perfectly centered, it might be necessary to make some adjustments on the asian movement. Many people build in a gen Rolex 3135-600 Date Indicator Seating:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-3135...enuine-Rolex-Part-Sealed-Package/222757342037

I think that may be a little over kill for me it looks like a very expensive part.
I am just going to go with a ARF polished watch because the gen fluted bezels are usually gold and a real date wheel.
Thank you for the help

trendconcept

Renowned Member
13/6/16
I think that may be a little over kill for me it looks like a very expensive part.
I am just going to go with a ARF polished watch because the gen fluted bezels are usually gold and a real date wheel.
Thank you for the help

That sounds like a good and reasonable plan. A skilled modder will be able to mount a gen DW in every SH3135.

McDuck888

🌞
22/2/17
UK
If you’re not planning on modifying the watch, and don’t want datewheels and crystals to deal with maybe you’d much prefer a DJF datejust. They look fab too right out of the box.

trendconcept

Renowned Member
13/6/16
If you’re not planning on modifying the watch, and don’t want datewheels and crystals to deal with maybe you’d much prefer a DJF datejust. They look fab too right out of the box.

That's a good input. A DJF would be the most economical option if you want a good OOTB rep without spending a lot of extra money on parts, service and shipping. The DJF has the more reliable A2836 movement in it. But it's not 904 steel and you can't install a gen dial, gen DW and gen hands later, if you ever want to. As qualitative drawbacks, the DJF has poorly engraved rehaut, the bracelet is a bit flimsy and the brushing isn’t as nice. But this is complaining on a high level.

Samsmitty

Horology Curious
5/1/20
That's a good input. A DJF would be the most economical option if you want a good OOTB rep without spending a lot of extra money on parts, service and shipping. The DJF has the more reliable A2836 movement in it. But it's not 904 steel and you can't install a gen dial, gen DW and gen hands later, if you ever want to. As qualitative drawbacks, the DJF has poorly engraved rehaut, the bracelet is a bit flimsy and the brushing isn’t as nice. But this is complaining on a high level.

Im going to get a DJF that has a 904 case and then get an ARF jubilee bracelet with i also think is 904. Does anyone know where I can get a ARF jubilee bracelet without purchasing the whole watch?

and has anyone purchased a DJF with a diamond dial. Any recommendations?

trendconcept

Renowned Member
13/6/16
Im going to get a DJF that has a 904 case and then get an ARF jubilee bracelet with i also think is 904. Does anyone know where I can get a ARF jubilee bracelet without purchasing the whole watch?

and has anyone purchased a DJF with a diamond dial. Any recommendations?

I ordered an ARF Jubilee from Chazingtime last week. It costs $138 ($148 with shipping).