• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CURRENT AFFAIRS

DRVJA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/3/06
CHONGQING, China (Reuters) - China is the biggest loser from intellectual property violations and needs to stamp out piracy to build global corporate champions, U.S. Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez said on Monday.

Gutierrez was speaking in the southwestern city of Chongqing at the start of a visit to China to prepare for high-level U.S.-Chinese meetings in Washington next month.

In a speech to students and businessmen, Gutierrez said widespread counterfeiting was not only harming U.S. companies but also posing a threat to China's own long-term development.

"Ironically, it is China that is most affected by violations of intellectual property rights," he said.

A Chinese official conceded the country had rampant copyright piracy but said the problem could not be eliminated overnight.

"We still have a serious problem of piracy. We need to study more forceful and effective measures to curb it," Yan Xiaohong, deputy chief of the National Copyright Administration, told a news conference in Beijing.

Gutierrez welcomed Chinese efforts to crack down on counterfeiting -- Xinhua news agency reported that 14 compact disk operations had been punished for illegal copying -- and praised Vice-Premier Wu Yi for taking the lead in tackling what he said was clearly a complex issue.

"We need to see results, but we should also recognize the tremendous effort that's being made. That's a very positive development," Gutierrez told Reuters after his speech.

NO SPECIAL FAVOURS

U.S. music, movie, software and other copyright industry groups estimate they suffered some $2.4 billion in lost sales in China last year because of piracy.

American manufacturers also say they lose billions of dollars a year because of counterfeiting and patent violations in China.

But Gutierrez said China was also bleeding tax revenue as a result of software piracy.

Failure to curb piracy could thwart the country's efforts to create firms able to strike out on to the world stage, he added.

"Without effective intellectual property protection, China's intellectual property and inventions would be the target of illicit enterprises," he said.

Gutierrez also said China needed to do more to improve access for foreign firms to its booming markets and to address U.S. concerns that the yuan is being held down at unfairly cheap levels.

"We're not asking for special favors, we're not asking for special considerations, we're not asking for an artificially developed goal or number. We just want a level playing field and the ability to compete," he told Reuters.

Gutierrez stressed the importance of open and fair trade to support economic growth and said the large U.S. trade deficit needed to be reined in to keep protectionist sentiment at bay.

"We don't want it to become so big that what happens is that people who want to isolate the United States, who want to be protectionist, may find a welcoming ear in the American people because of the trade deficit," he said in his speech.

Several U.S. law-makers are preparing legislation that would punish China unless it takes concrete steps to reduce its trade surplus with the United States, which hit $202 billion in 2005.

U.S. officials hope an April 11 meeting of Gutierrez, U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman and Chinese Vice Premier Wu will set the stage for successful talks when President George W. Bush hosts President Hu Jintao at the White House on April 20.

"This is a relationship that is evolving, it's maturing, and ... we both have the opportunity to show just how much it has evolved and how much it has matured," Gutierrez said.

©2005 Reuters Limited.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
ohmycocker said:
I believe in copy-un-right...only this could boarden our knowledge...
And how does trademark law relate to copyright?

willster

Renowned Member
15/3/06
1. “China is the biggest loser from intellectual property violationsâ€

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
I agree with Willster

What you said is right...The whole lot...it is like sorry to say but US Govt some kind of jealous to asian country now..becoz of the ecomony factor..and at the same time..they are using all the asian workers for cheap labours but Consumers have to buy their product way far more expensive then you could imagine.

I just wonder and not even come to my senses that products that are made in China, thailand , vietnam, india ..indonesia..and all others ....they sell it t oconsumers with very expensive price tag..plizzz think ..

and dont blame people becoz of their economy growth...

dcrooz

Horology Curious
27/3/06
This has much more to do with music/movies/software. If you can't get your favourite album, or windows software pirated you go out and buy the real deal. The same does not apply to watches. How many of you have not bought a gen because you could get a rep. I know that does not apply to me, not necessarily because of the financial implications, but partly yes. The counterfeit watch market doesn't really eat up the Genuine one, it is merely percieved to cheapen it.

The real aim of this US initiative is to make the record companies, and Microsoft richer. I think at the last count the whole of China was running off 1 pirated copy of XP!! :lol:

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
airblade said:
The only international language is MONEY :!: :!: :!:
To be honest, that's not the case. Money doesn't exist. Before you go on and say "in that case, give me all yours", decide whether or not you want me to take you seriously.

Money is a faith system. The value of the notes in your wallet is set by a government-backed belief system that is decided by what comes in and goes out of a country. If a country has few imports and lots of exports, it is rich. Oil, for instance, makes the middle-east rich. Africa has a lot of needs for basic imports and is therefore poor.

Thus Money is a side affect of International Communication. Running down problems as "It's all about money" is exceedingly short-sighted and allows governments to perpetuate their doctrines as long as you're hung up on the money issue.

Power and Force are the international languages. You can trade in these and as a side effect, you have money.

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
Pugwash said:
Power and Force are the international languages. You can trade in these and as a side effect, you have money.

Ok so then...

Power = Money, But Knowledge = Power and Money = Power. So power and money actually cancel each other out. Then Knowledge = Power = Money So then wouldn't information be the worlds currency? Becasue Information = Knowledge = Power = Money But then how do you get the information? Buy it? Money = Information = Knowledge = Power = Money. But isn't it also true that Ignorance = Bliss? So does that mean that people of knowledge are not happy? So Information = knowledge and Ignorance = Bliss and Knowledge = Power = Money mean that Money can't buy you happiness.