• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

M spacing on Submariners

repboy19

Known Member
9/6/19
USA
Anyone have any insight or information as to why the “m” in “1000ft=300m” varies in distance from the “300” on submariners? I’ve looked at multiple reps as well as gen submariners and even on gen subs the m seems to vary in distance from 300....

Is there any crazy Rolex reasoning or meaning behind this or am I just too anal? Is it a matter of model year?

Pics for reference. Both are gen subs from verified dealers I’ve found for sale on chrono24 for example:

047f4023e088e88def14a57732df2af6.plist

57f704f343da15c235b8760e495296c7.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Rolex changed the dial font , the first picture is a 2017 > watch ( I believe some watches purchased late 16 have new font )
The second picture is 2010 -2016 Hulk < 2017

Last edited:
Reactions: repboy19

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
It depends on the model year and font or more specifically, the dial. Rolex changed details on the dial from where the D or “date” starts. On some it is just under the end of the x in Rolex. On some it starts after. Other details you may notice is whether the f in ft is long or short. You have an example of both in the 2 pics you posted. The equal sign as well as the “ft” and “m” being in a standard font or italicized font (also different in the 2 pics you posted) The 1in 1000 being straight or having a little serif on the end. Also the different fonts Submariner is written in.

I’m sure you’ve heard the terms mark 1, mark 2, mark 3 dials? Those are the releases of different dials with different details.

Reactions: repboy19

repboy19

Known Member
9/6/19
USA
Rolex changed the dial font , the first picture is a 2017 > watch ( I believe some watches purchased late 16 have new font )
The second picture is 2010 -2016 Hulk
That’s what I was figuring! Thanks for clarification!

I’ve got a 2017, makes sense!

6a5516309eea8b055708d225692abf77.jpg

repboy19

Known Member
9/6/19
USA
It depends on the model year and font or more specifically, the dial. Rolex changed details on the dial from where the D or “date” starts. On some it is just under the end of the x in Rolex. On some it starts after. Other details you may notice is whether the f in ft is long or short. You have an example of both in the 2 pics you posted. The equal sign as well as the “ft” and “m” being in a standard font or italicized font (also different in the 2 pics you posted) The 1in 1000 being straight or having a little serif on the end. Also the different fonts Submariner is written in.

I’m sure you’ve heard the terms mark 1, mark 2, mark 3 dials? Those are the releases of different dials with different details.

I see. Thanks for the info! Slowly learning more and more! Yes, I’ve heard of mark 1, 2, 3! I appreciate the info.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
The second picture is 2010 -2016 Hulk
That’s what I was figuring! Thanks for clarification!

I’ve got a 2017, makes sense!

6a5516309eea8b055708d225692abf77.jpg

As someone points out there have been lots of subtle font changes on the Submariner. You can find sources to explain them but you might fry your brain surfing the internet.

The Hulk has had two dials 2nd photo ( 300 m ) 2010 -2016 and the 1st (300m) from 2017 .

So if you are worried about your watch it has the correct dial for the year .

I have read via loads of sources that they have discontinued the HULK . I don't think this has been confirmed by Rolex and it is still on their website . Funnily though the computer generated pics show the pre 2017 dial :D Great watch and good investment flying up in price on the used market.

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
When Rolex make a mistake on a dial batch or one of their suppliers does it’s called ‘period correct’

When a Chinese factory does the same some people run around shouting ‘instant tell’ and ‘can’t unsee’

Reactions: Glaude and SRBJKU

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I see. Thanks for the info! Slowly learning more and more! Yes, I’ve heard of mark 1, 2, 3! I appreciate the info.

Although, IIRC, smoke says there is no such thing as the Mark 1/2/3 issue, just the two correct-for-period fonts as noted above.

Hazing

9/5/19
It doesn't always go by year or serial number because if you send a watch in to service, Rolex could change a dial and they won't change it with the dial version that's appropriate for your watch. They just change it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
It doesn't always go by year or serial number because if you send a watch in to service, Rolex could change a dial and they won't change it with the dial version that's appropriate for your watch. They just change it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rolex don't unilaterally change hands or dials on watches during service ? They only change them on a request from the customer at a further cost and with mutual discussion. As far as I know they while they change moving serviceable parts ' no longer operating under Rolex standards ' they are very reluctant to change dials or hands on their watches especially updated ones if they aren't year specific .

Last edited:

Hazing

9/5/19
Rolex don't unilaterally change hands or dials on watches during service ? They only change them on a request from the customer at a further cost and with mutual discussion. As far as I know they while they change moving serviceable parts ' no longer operating under Rolex standards ' they are very reluctant to change dials or hands on their watches especially updated ones if they aren't year specific .

Correct. I wasn’t trying to say they just swap out dials. Randomly and often. Just that if you send a sub for service and it needs a new dial, they don’t take any extraordinary steps to make sure you get the same dial your watch originally had. They just give you an LV Submariner dial. Or whichever model you have.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
I can imagine Rolex top guys laughing their asses out every time some publisher releases a book like this, talking about how the dial writings are +.1 or -.1 mm differently spaced between different year models

Inviato dal mio iPhone 11 Pro utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: Glaude

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
Correct. I wasn’t trying to say they just swap out dials. Randomly and often. Just that if you send a sub for service and it needs a new dial, they don’t take any extraordinary steps to make sure you get the same dial your watch originally had. They just give you an LV Submariner dial. Or whichever model you have.

Correct you get whatever dial they have in the parts bin.same goes with the xtal, the clasp and all the other parts that rolex keep changing.rolex dont care about period correct or anything like that

Last edited:

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I'm not nearly as smart as smoke and many others with respect to the "tells" of a rep Hulk, such as the dial (I've never seen a gen dial yet in person!), the case, crystal etc. For me, the markers are the fastest way to spot a rep - I saw a 116610 LN on a guy's wrist 2 days ago... one look at the squared-off markers on the dial was all it took for me to know it was a rep (no,I did not say anything to him!)