• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Brushing/polishing guide needed

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
hello everyone,
I have a few questions regarding cleaning/brushing/polishing watch bracelets and case/case back. I have never done this myself, i live in Canada and dont know of a local modder.

below are my BP batman and JF Calibre de Cartier.
1. Are the side parts of the bracelet brushed? And gow do i remove scratches from them.
2 the center parts looks polished so how do i clean and polish that part to remove scratches.
3. The side of the case on Batman looks a bit scratched/scuffed, is there a way to get that better. I dont know if its polish or brush.

kindly guide me please (with product suggestions), ive never done this myself

Thanks lot fam!!

Brook1ja

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/2/19
I read in another forum a scotchbrite pad could "rebrush" a watch but haven't tried it. I imagine some elbow grease with a light abrasive will buff out most scratches. Did you look around Google a bit?

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
You can do it by hand with a lot of practice. It's easier to just get a professional.

I practise using small tip sandpaper sticks that model train enthusiasts use. You can get to around 3200 grit.

For deep scratches really you need to buff them out, or go very slow with 180 grit dry then wet. Then clean. Then dry. Then repeat with 320, 400, 800, 1200.

If you want to polish, keep going 1800, 2400, 3200 and use a lot of elbow grease and autosol with a microfibre cloth.

It is very important to go very slow and in one direction.

By hand will not look as good as using a wheel, especially if you don't know what you're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
yeah i read that too im gonna give that a try. Lets see how its works

I read in another forum a scotchbrite pad could "rebrush" a watch but haven't

tried it. I imagine some elbow grease with a light abrasive will buff out most scratches. Did you look around Google a bit?

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
hey, thanks for these tips.

ive never heard about these utilities. I’ll try searching online. I am confused first you said get to around 3200 grit. And then below you mentioned 180 grit onwards?

You can do it by hand with a lot of practice. It's easier to just get a professional.

I practise using small tip sandpaper sticks that model train enthusiasts use. You can get to around 3200 grit.

For deep scratches really you need to buff them out, or go very slow with 180 grit dry then wet. Then clean. Then dry. Then repeat with 320, 400, 800, 1200.

If you want to polish, keep going 1800, 2400, 3200 and use a lot of elbow grease and autosol with a microfibre cloth.

It is very important to go very slow and in one direction.

By hand will not look as good as using a wheel, especially if you don't know what you're doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brook1ja

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/2/19
180 grit is really abrasive, so I don't know that I'd do that...I see how it might be necessary in some cases but you may have better results using a finer grit and taking a bit longer and working a bit harder to work out the marks. Taking your time will definitely be necessary to get good results.
btw I think you can generally pick up mixed packs of fine-grained sandpaper from hobby stores or online even on eBay.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Honestly about the only thing I would do by hand would be scotchbrite. You can remove light scratches and get a nice brushed surface by hand by going in 1 direction and 1 surface at a time. It works pretty well for things like clasps that get beat up easily.

If you want to remove deeper scratches or get a polished surface it can be done by hand, but it is really a lot of work and will take quite a bit of time. Get yourself a polishing wheel & thank me later.

Reactions: ssouthall6

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Honestly about the only thing I would do by hand would be scotchbrite. You can remove light scratches and get a nice brushed surface by hand by going in 1 direction and 1 surface at a time. It works pretty well for things like clasps that get beat up easily.

If you want to remove deeper scratches or get a polished surface it can be done by hand, but it is really a lot of work and will take quite a bit of time. Get yourself a polishing wheel & thank me later.

Hey man thanks, i ordered and tried the scoth bright it does work but not quite. Alot of me. I only did like 2 mins. Maybe im not doing right. Im trying to get a longer term solution. I read on some posts about sanding sticks and sandpapers or dremel machine. Which ones would you suggest or a technique for professional kind of finish for bracelet and cases moving future as i get more and more franken watches.
Thanks all those who guided, appreciate it :)