• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Should I expect a seiko 5 level Finish/quality (300 dollar watch) for my 350 dollar rep watch?

Pixelman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/11/19
Just how durable are rep watches? would I be expecting too much for a seiko 5 level of Finish?

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
The Seiko 5 will be better in quality and movement durability than a 350 dollar rep. I own both sample(s) of each.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
The Seiko 5 will be better in quality and movement durability than a 350 dollar rep. I own both sample(s) of each.

Oh please. Many reps use 2824 and 9015 movements. They are more than reliable and super easy to service.

Inviato dal mio iPhone 11 Pro utilizzando Tapatalk

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Oh please. Many reps use 2824 and 9015 movements. They are more than reliable and super easy to service.

What are you talking about ?

An A2824 is more reliable than even a basic Seiko movement ?

Japanese QC is light years ahead of Chinese QC, because QC doesn't even exist in China. They don't know what it is - the round eyes had to explain.

Even a basic Seiko will last for years and years, most reps will not - because they aren't designed to.

Reactions: Tucker

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
I’ve said more than reliable, not that will last longer than a Seiko made one (even if there is the possibility). Just saying there’s nothing to worry about IMHO. They’re easy to service if any problem occurs

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
$350 rep vs $300 Seiko? Seiko wins just about every time. The Chinese reps are assembled in an underground factory by craftsmen with questionable training/skills, while Seiko is the product of a century old establishment with very good QA/QC.

IMO the reliability of any new rep is luck of the draw. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes not. If you browse the forum, you'll know to stay away from certain reps (movements) to minimize the chance of getting a dud.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
There won't be any crooked markers, misspelled words, non-centered dates etc......... on a Seiko 5. There's a reason you're provided QC pictures with a rep.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area

You haven't been around Seiko's much I can see. Their quality is miles ahead of reps. tripdog is right, basic 7S26 can last well more than 10 yrs without service. Seiko has the best bang for your buck watch at their price point, hands down.

Reps are all about what it looks like....once you get past the obvious, reps really are second rate to any gen watchmaker.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
You haven't been around Seiko's much I can see. Their quality is miles ahead of reps. tripdog is right, basic 7S26 can last well more than 10 yrs without service. Seiko has the best bang for your buck watch at their price point, hands down.

Reps are all about what it looks like....once you get past the obvious, reps really are second rate to any gen watchmaker.

I have 4 Seikos, actually. I love them! But try to compare the finishing of a VSF seamaster SMP with a entry level Seiko.

Unless it’s 1k+ models we’re talking about. But a Seiko 5? Nah man. Look at it closer.

Btw I do agree the 7s26 is a workhorse and can last for more than 10 years without needing a service.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I have 4 Seikos, actually. I love them! But try to compare the finishing of a VSF seamaster SMP with a entry level Seiko.

Unless it’s 1k+ models we’re talking about. But a Seiko 5? Nah man. Look at it closer.

Btw I do agree the 7s26 is a workhorse and can last for more than 10 years without needing a service.

I want some of what you’re smoking.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Lol . Seikos are miles ahead .
Ive got a 500$ Prospex Ninja Black Turtle and it looks and feels light years ahead of any 500 even 600 $ rep

Shh, don’t tell that out loud.

Who wants to compare a SA4130 to a 7s26? Come on.

Hats off to Seiko, they’re the very best in their market at their price tag. But this doesn’t mean the reps are lighter or less finished than them, by any means.

I’d take a good rep over a let’s say SKX007 every single day

MisterGu

I'm Pretty Popular
3/10/13
Mirroring what many have already said; Seikos are arguably unbeatable in terms of bang for buck in whatever price range they are in.

My $3500 Grand Seiko was hand assembled in a clean room, under a microscope, to ensure perfection. I’ve seen Rollie’s at an AD under a loupe with a spec or 2 of dust or fiber on the dial.

That being said, we’re all on RWI for a reason; you won’t find much argument against reps here!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Mirroring what many have already said; Seikos are arguably unbeatable in terms of bang for buck in whatever price range they are in.

My $3500 Grand Seiko was hand assembled in a clean room, under a microscope, to ensure perfection. I’ve seen Rollie’s at an AD under a loupe with a spec or 2 of dust or fiber on the dial.

That being said, we’re all on RWI for a reason; you won’t find much argument against reps here!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Couldn’t agree more.
Check my 16622: the lume at 1 o’ clock is dirty. And that’s a over 6k watch.

4929dff2f1154f9582899ab58315372f.jpg

MisterGu

I'm Pretty Popular
3/10/13
Couldn’t agree more.
Check my 16622: the lume at 1 o’ clock is dirty. And that’s a over 6k watch.

4929dff2f1154f9582899ab58315372f.jpg

Brutal!

From my experience, rep owners are much much more conscious of the tiny details. We notice things that AD sales reps don't notice let alone the typical watch owner. My friends family business is a high end watch and jewelry store, I told him my JF 15400 is a rep, he doesn't believe me, thinks I'm being humble and/or trying not to hurt his feelings that I didn't buy from him.

Bigcity777

31/7/19
US / Closing deals
Let me put my 2 cents in .. one of my lower end gen watches is a Steinhart ocean 1 that I ordered direct from the AD and that has the swiss 2824 movement in it .that watch cost me about $550 US and its definitely a well built watch but compared to my ARF sd43 the stienhart pales in comparison with fit and finish . The steinhart bracelet is not as buttery smooth its links are quite loose infact and the lume on the steinhart is close but not as strong and long lasting as my ARF .. so it all depends on the the rep in question that you're comparing to a gen watch as I've seen some REALLY crap reps in my lifetime...

Last edited:

Marbe78

29/9/20
Spain
An IWC Portuguese 7 days ZF latest version can be compared with a Seiko Presage gen?
I'm talking about finishes, quality of materials, etc. no of movements

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
An IWC Portuguese 7 days ZF latest version can be compared with a Seiko Presage gen?
I'm talking about finishes, quality of materials, etc. no of movements

No for both of your questions, those gen will be ahead, without talking about the movement. Rep won't be bad at all, even very good, but gen will be ahead