• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Accurate Moonphase Thread?

PennyForTheGuy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/6/19
Southern California, USA
Maybe I just suck at using the search function, but since we have super-rep threads and the like, I thought it might be useful/interesting to put together a thread of reps that have an accurate Moonphase function (not the day/night moonphase function). Does anyone know of any, or have any to post pictures of?

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
Start here :) It is the first rep I know of with an accurate moonphase and it caused quite a storm when it came out. Great little watch. I do not know if the movement was used in other brands since.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/jaeger-lecoultre/6667655-zf-master-ultrathin-moon

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...thin-moon-zf-side-by-side-with-gen-comparison

VS6Z02.jpg

VgNR0R.jpg

VRtoCZ.jpg

VvwGNf.jpg

ACDXF.jpg

4f9Go.jpg

tD81Z.jpg

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I believe there's an ALS and there's the Blancpain Villeret Quantième Complet with a true moonphase, but semperfi55 will be able to confirm that better than me

Reactions: C Master

semperfi55

I'm Pretty Popular
25/4/18
UK
I believe there's an ALS and there's the Blancpain Villeret Quantième Complet with a true moonphase, but semperfi55 will be able to confirm that better than me

Cheers mate. Impressive memory!

Indeed there are:
2l9Sk.jpg

Lange Saxonia Moonphase with big date
Great clean look but be advised it is thick

and also
2l1PD.jpg

Blancpain Villeret 6654

The Moonphase disc looks great in sunlight, but you can’t really see it here as the artificial light is too harsh.

Decent thickness for the functions available. It has date, day, month and Moonphase functions. All adjustable via its unique pushers that are hidden underneath each lug, like the gen.

Apart from these + JLC above, I don’t know of any others.

Worth noting also, the watches that do NOT have a functioning Moonphase (because TD specs aren’t the most accurate either)
-The new JLC Perpetual calendar
- Glashütte Senator “Moonphase”
-Vacheron Constantin Harmony Calendar

Reactions: Dmage

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I wonder if those two aren't true moonphase too :

https://puretimewatch.io/heritage-s...-dial-on-black-leather-strap-miyota-9015.html

and

https://puretimewatch.io/star-legac...-dial-on-black-leather-strap-miyota-9015.html

There's no video on the second one, but semperfi55 at the end of the video present on the first link, you can see the time being adjusted and the moonphase shifting, given that you have true moonphase watches, does the movement feel like that on yours, or is it too fast on the video, which would indicate a day/night disc.

It feels kind of fast to me

PennyForTheGuy

11/6/19
Southern California, USA
Reactions: ffuhcu

semperfi55

I'm Pretty Popular
25/4/18
UK
I wonder if those two aren't true moonphase too :

https://puretimewatch.io/heritage-s...-dial-on-black-leather-strap-miyota-9015.html

and

https://puretimewatch.io/star-legac...-dial-on-black-leather-strap-miyota-9015.html

There's no video on the second one, but semperfi55 at the end of the video present on the first link, you can see the time being adjusted and the moonphase shifting, given that you have true moonphase watches, does the movement feel like that on yours, or is it too fast on the video, which would indicate a day/night disc.

It feels kind of fast to me

Yup definitely a day/night indicator. You would not notice the Moonphase disc moving when adjusting the time.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Yup definitely a day/night indicator. You would not notice the Moonphase disc moving when adjusting the time.

Cheers man !

You also did some research on the Longines posted above (you have one yourself right ?)
Can't remember this having a functional moonphase since it's a 7753 ETA Clone

semperfi55

I'm Pretty Popular
25/4/18
UK
Cheers man !

You also did some research on the Longines posted above (you have one yourself right ?)
Can't remember this having a functional moonphase since it's a 7753 ETA Clone

Oooh I’m unsure about that. Mine was a gate cheapie. Was because it died on the operating table :/

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I have the Longiness moonphase chrono. It is a true moonphase and it is quite nice. One of the few on the keeper list so far. I have been through about 60 watches in the past 3 yrs and I have kept about 15. This watch, the Longiness moonphase, was one of my earlier purchases & I still have it and that is saying something.

PennyForTheGuy

11/6/19
Southern California, USA
I have the Longiness moonphase chrono. It is a true moonphase and it is quite nice. One of the few on the keeper list so far. I have been through about 60 watches in the past 3 yrs and I have kept about 15. This watch, the Longiness moonphase, was one of my earlier purchases & I still have it and that is saying something.
Which factory is making the best one? I see GF on a couple TD sites...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Which factory is making the best one? I see GF on a couple TD sites...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mine is the YLF 42 mm version. I know a smaller dia one was made too. I don't remember the reasons, but I think at the time the ylf was the one to get. I bought mine new back in June of 2017 and it had already been out for a while at that time. 1st thing I would do is just e-mail your TD or a few TD's & see if they can get it still. I would guess that there is a decent chance that it won't be available still, but who knows, maybe you will get lucky. Mine came with both a bracelet and a crappy cognac Croc strap. I think it looks best on the croc strap, but you have to replace the rep strap with something better. I think it looks great on both black, brown or cognac. This pic is on an Orloff Black Croc strap which is very nice.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17

It's a beautiful and underrated watch ! Thanks for confirming the info on the working moonphase.

When you think about it, this is one of the most complicated rep out there : full working chrono, day, date, month, moonphase

I've heard that it could be a tricky watch, did you had any issue with it ? Our sadly departed admin on RWG had his repaired a lot of time

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
Just to make sure, when you all say working moon phase, do you mean working and correct? My Blancpain, which I love, has a moon phase that goes the wrong direction: it rotates in a counter clockwise direction, which is not only inaccurate to gen, but also inaccurate to the earth as we know it.
I asked a few others and theirs did the same, so I assumed they all did that.

Reactions: iff0