• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Advice before embarking on a Rolex 6538 Big Crown Project

OlivStan

Looking Around
22/3/15
Hi There,

I’ve been “loitering” on the forum for years (and benefited enormously). I don’t consider myself a watch aficionado but I do really appreciate an interesting watch.

In the most part I’ve previously leaned towards the “out of box” super-reps or pre purchase modded watches like BK subs.

However recently I’ve been tempted into potentially modding myself… this time because I simply can’t buy the watch I want from a trusted dealer. I’m particularly interested in the 6538 Big Crown, which obviously means a slight "ageing" project is in the offing. I’ve read up on the “guides”, but I’m currently suffering from a debilitating crisis of confidence (I’m sure I’m not the first person!).

I’m interested to know if anyone has actually had any formal training in watchmaking or if it is all based on knowledge gleamed from the forum?

Secondly did anyone have a fall back plan? I feel confident that I could take the watch apart and do the ageing process itself… however my concern is that I might not be able to put it back together again. Are there any friendly watchmakers in the UK/Europe that might take on the final stage of the project? (Or alternatively take on the whole project).

DavidModic

13/9/15
EU
I wish you the best of luck, mate (not sarcastically). My advice to you would be to play around first. Buy a watch you do not care about and is not too expensive (or use one you already have) and tear it apart, then reassemble it. You’ll get the hang of it and also learn which tools you need and which you don’t, really. You will also learn little tricks that work for you, I know I did, and I had to play around (I now know, for example that black bergeon screwdriver works best for removing the stem from an ETA28xx. For me, that is, I don’t know about anybody else). It did not help to just read about these things. To an extent, I envy you, for discovering all this new cool stuff, but only to an extent, because it can also be extremely frustrating :).

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
I have had a few different builds of the 6538s.

The helenarou is stunning out of the box and a seriously well built watch however it feels a little big in comparison to a real 60s sub it also comes with Sapphire glass not plexi but their dials are stunning.

The best one I had was the 2836 vesrion from Sead, I got it with the 2836 so there is no need to cut the dial feet on the HR dial. I sold it since so I will just link to the sales thread so you can see the spec. The main people you need to know are big_dazza and NCRich.
https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...ond-rolex-6538

Reactions: rabl253

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Hi There,

I’ve been “loitering” on the forum for years (and benefited enormously). I don’t consider myself a watch aficionado but I do really appreciate an interesting watch.

In the most part I’ve previously leaned towards the “out of box” super-reps or pre purchase modded watches like BK subs.

However recently I’ve been tempted into potentially modding myself… this time because I simply can’t buy the watch I want from a trusted dealer. I’m particularly interested in the 6538 Big Crown, which obviously means a slight "ageing" project is in the offing. I’ve read up on the “guides”, but I’m currently suffering from a debilitating crisis of confidence (I’m sure I’m not the first person!).

I’m interested to know if anyone has actually had any formal training in watchmaking or if it is all based on knowledge gleamed from the forum?

Secondly did anyone have a fall back plan? I feel confident that I could take the watch apart and do the ageing process itself… however my concern is that I might not be able to put it back together again. Are there any friendly watchmakers in the UK/Europe that might take on the final stage of the project? (Or alternatively take on the whole project).

Join RWG. Buy this watch with a 2813 movement and rivet bracelet. I would strongly recommend marvellousreplica as they sell these for $100. Send a picture and tell them I sent you and they will know what to ge. tI'd get this and the 6204 in the second link so you have two to play with. Get those two and follow my tutorial.

Best cheap 6538. https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?...xpensive-6538-out-of-the-box-now-modded-5517/

Best tutorial for this case. https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/...auss-and-6204/

You will screw stuff up, don't sweat it. Only way to learn. As hobbies goes it is cheap. There are a lot of tutorial in the vintage section at RWG, and in my sig there. Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Raddave

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
Make a gilt decal dial! It sounds a bit daunting but its really simple.

1) Take a dial and sand it down or use paint stripper to reveal the brass beneath it. Polish it so its nice and shiny like.
2) Print decal (I can send you a template) on transfer paper and let it dry
3) spray a coat of varnish, let dry, spray again and let dry.
4) cut out the dial and get it wet and slide it onto the dial
5) Bake it and when cool, add more spray varnish.

It will take about 2 days or so to have a finished product but worth it. If you mess up, just start over till you get one you like. The dials are really cool when the light hits them. Happy to answer questions.

Also, get ready to mess something up!