• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The very unusual way I got into Replicas - New Series?

fettersack111

Known Member
13/1/19
Germany
Hi everyone,

I did some searching around the forum and thought it would be nice to have a few members share unusual stories of how or why they started buying replica watches. Perhaps this could become a new series? Feel free to share your journey into the world of Reps here.

How I got into replica watches: tl;dr Got robbed. Now I buy reps of all my gens to wear outside.

I started my passion for watches early on. After always coming home too late my parents gifted me a dark blue G-Shock, probably also because I tended to drop/break stuff. From there I upgraded to a dark blue ICE Watch and then finally to a "dressy" RG Daniel Wellington... I know, I know I'm still ashamed. Whilst working along with side school at a men's tailor to save up for a proper watch my parents had caught on to my passion and decided to chip in some cash so that together with my grandparents, I was able to get a ceramic Sub with a date just in time for my graduation. I loved the living hell out of that watch. I didn't even look for additional watched or upgrading to something more expensive. To this day I believe it is the single greatest watch ever made. Sure it is not the most complicated to pressure... and it doesn't have the history or importance of a Royal Oak.. but to me, it is just the greatest allrounder. The one to do it all. Fast forward 4 years and I find myself wearing the watch EVERYWHERE. I don't even think about it anymore. Sometimes I even forget to take it off at night. One night I decided to go out for a couple of drinks with a few mates as it was a public holiday leading to a long weekend. Since most of them smoked I was used to them coming and leaving but at some point, I was all alone. They had wandered down the street to grab something to snack. As I leave the bar to see where they went, I hear a laugh that sounded like one of my mates from an alley next to the bar. I figured they went down there to escape the cold wind. As I walk a few feet into the dark alley toward who I thought was my mates, the men start sprinting towards me and push me up against the wall. They took my wallet, phone, and ofc... my watch. Although my watch popped up in a pawn shop 400km south, the criminals were never caught. I was however very lucky as my insurance did cover this kind of theft. As I know my AD very well, I was able to get a new watch within a month but I could not shake the bad feeling. I was so scared to lose something like this again due to no fault of my own. This was when I remembered that on my little private detective hunt around eBay for my stole watch a couple of weeks earlier, I had found a site offering fake watches. I thought... why not get an Identical fake. If something like this happens again, My GEN with all its memories and sentimental value is safe at the bank. So I stumbled upon RWI and RepGeek though Reddit and finally signed up... eventually buying my first rep here though m2m. I am very happy with my current situation. I know what I have and feel safe and comfortable wearing the watches out daily.

Id love to hear from some of you as to what your motivation is. Feel free to comment!

Thx for reading!

Last edited:

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
I am glad you were just left shaken but not hurt. There seems to be an increase in people being mugged for watches.

I stumbled on here because I research things obsessively. I wanted to buy an Omega Constellation and I did not trust EBay. I ended up buying the rep instead of the gen and never looked back. I decided to get seriously involved when I saw the member's generosity with knowledge and assistance to fellow members when things went wrong.

The down side is I am now a slave to RWI lol.

Vg8F7T.jpg

fettersack111

Known Member
13/1/19
Germany
What an honor to hear the story of the famous C Master! Thank you, I am also very glad that I was unharmed. Yes, even the watch community on youtube reports of more and more watch related robberies. I can't agree more with you though! I have found the people here incredibly nice and helpful and I am super impressed with the level of trust and honesty in the Sales section. What a great community.

Beautiful Constellation btw!!

Last edited:

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
I had been on watchuseek for about 5 yrs and got a few gens but there were two that just kept nagging me. I didn't necessarily want to buy them and certainly didn't have the funds but I wanted to see and handle them. I just like their looks. It was the calibre de cartier white dial and Ebel BTR yellow and black watch. The only pictures really of them were coming from RWI and RWG and some of the other rep sites so that's how I found the site. I was always thinking about buying a rep but thought the websites would be full of scams or viruses if I clicked on things on them. When 100,000 members on this site said it was ok on some of these TD websites I thought I'd give it a try and now it's been 5 years and about 45 reps have been bought and sold. I still have the calibre de cartier and Ebel :)