• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

State of the collection, what's to be replaced? Suggestions welcomed

Donplayer813

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/6/13
SOH ii- blue/mesh GF

A little different than most diver/marine watches, questionably a NWBIG.

Nice collection bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
SuperLory I will definitely ping you on my impressions on the 438. But since you ask, I would like to know why were you disappointed with it? J

the crystal and the bulkiness of it...mind you I do have PAMs but, for some reasons I can't really point, the 1950 case + ceramic bracelet didnt make it a sleek watch rather an imposing black presence. We didn't bond

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Hinclimincli I had not thought of GMTs before and yep, noted. I can already see one advantage of GMT over the Sub - one does not have to worry about the platinum paint job on the bezel!!

naturaqua the pic is good buddy, just rechecked.

Donplayer813 I dont recognize the acronym bud. You should give me more information :) It took me a minute to two to recognize acronym SMP300 and that was only because while browsing a week to two ago, one had caught my attention and I did ask my wife for her opinion. The fact that she had liked it then helped me in recollecting the model.

SuperLory thanks. Noted that it is just your personal preference. I was wondering if it was due to some fault with the watch. I will purchase this 438 as it does have enough merits. I did have a Titanium Destro (model x69) once, and it felt like I was carrying around a buckler attached to my wrist.

Donplayer813

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/6/13
Hinclimincli I had not thought of GMTs before and yep, noted. I can already see one advantage of GMT over the Sub - one does not have to worry about the platinum paint job on the bezel!!

naturaqua the pic is good buddy, just rechecked.

Donplayer813 I dont recognize the acronym bud. You should give me more information :) It took me a minute to two to recognize acronym SMP300 and that was only because while browsing a week to two ago, one had caught my attention and I did ask my wife for her opinion. The fact that she had liked it then helped me in recollecting the model.

SuperLory thanks. Noted that it is just your personal preference. I was wondering if it was due to some fault with the watch. I will purchase this 438 as it does have enough merits. I did have a Titanium Destro (model x69) once, and it felt like I was carrying around a buckler attached to my wrist.

Sorry bud I was referring to the Breitling Superocean Heritage II from GF factory. It might end up as a super rep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Curious to see your impression on the 438

it was one of my most favourite pam on paper then once in hand it was errrrrr

as for your collection i’d say nautilus looking at the pattern, might be wrong

Just received the PAM 438 today. My impressions
(i) It is heavy with the ceramic bracelet! I removed it and put the asso strap.
(ii) For a bulky watch, it sorta sits well on my wrist. Unlike the PAM destro titanium 569 which I sold a while ago. This is a bit smaller than 569 of course.
(iii) Is very comfortable with the asso strap. I have to figure out how to remove links on the ceramic strap. It looks like pin and sleeve assembly, but normally watches with such have an arrow on the links which show direction to push the pin out.
(iv) Watch being extremely simple in design, there was pretty much nothing to QC. No bezel markers to check alignment. No rehaut. Nothing to check on dial for alignment as every feature is machined. I still feel that under artificial lighting conditions and some viewing angles, the color of hands and hour numerals are slightly different. But maybe it is to do with the fact that the lume of hour markers is a few mm below the hands
(v) The lume is impressive. Easy to read in low light conditions. Dont know how long it lasts yet.

Will I wear this? Absolutely. Will I keep this? Yes, as long as it keeps good time. Out of the box, it is indeed accurate, but beat error is high. See 6 position measurement in next post.

Now for criticisms. This being such a simple watch in design it is easy to get it to super-rep status. No complaints on VSF replication. But I have significant complaints against the Gen.
(a) That 12 hour GMT is a completely useless feature. Compounded by the fact that it is adjustable only in 1 hour increments. There are some weird parts of the world where the timezone is 1/2 hour away. This is pretty much useless if one is in those parts, or one wants to reference the time in those parts. A 24 hour GMT would definitely have been more useful, at least as AM PM indicator. The rep can become better than gen BTBIG (better than buying in gen) if it is 24 hour GMT, or adjustable in 1/2 hour increments.
(b) Lack of seconds markers - say you want to time 3.5 minutes for some purpose. Not really that easy. Perhaps they drill small holes around the circumference on the dial to show seconds markers? Will make it BTBIG in my opinion.
(c) Anti-glare coating on sapphire will make it BTBIG, although it is easy to read time even in high glare situations. Dont know if gen AR or not

Thats it for now forks, until I post the timegraph pics

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Not bad at all, better than chronometer grade certification, with stable (within the screen width of timegrapher) 0 to -3 s/d in 6 position. with a little bit of careful regulation it should be adjustable +/-1.5 s/d over 6 positions. BTBIG!! But then, what about that jittery 2nd line?

Also, under flashlight, color difference between hands and hour markers is not that noticeable.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
A lumeshot, in comparison to the Noob. Charged with say 5-10s of UV light

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
yes but with the asso strap it's a 441 and no longer a 438. Game over..

Removing links is a PITA.

And yes the crystal is not the best one around..don't say I didnt warn you ;)

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
yes but with the asso strap it's a 441 and no longer a 438. Game over..

Removing links is a PITA.

And yes the crystal is not the best one around..don't say I didnt warn you ;)

Well, I did resize the links. Removed bottom most 2 from either side, and it does fit well. I always had a problem with AP links, I need a 1/2 link, and since I couldnt find them on the rep market, disposed of them. But this one just fine, for this time and temperature.

Resizing is not that difficult. A google search leads to the procedure on RWG as described by mysterio many years ago. I am familiar with pin and sleeve. Resized weight is 200g or 7 oz. It is indeed heavy for a watch, so maybe I should just buy the AP ROO Diver with steel bracelet again for the other wrist, just for symmetric muscular development.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
On a different matter, why are people fascinated by high priced watches, gen or rep? This is perhaps a philosophical discussion, but see the below picture. The two products are about the same lug-lug. About the same theme in color. One is 200g, other is 100. The RHS would beat the LRHS like say the NEP beating an ordinary high school team.

One note though, after 24h, overnight rest and daytime wear, this rep has maintained within +/-1 s w.r.t. to Astron. The Astron has layn dormant in dark for who knows how long, but both are +/-1s to real time. It is difficult to say for the LHS as it does not have seconds markers.

Why would you (the reader) or me (the poster) or others (gen or rep buyers) consider the LHS? Do note, I am wearing the Pam as I type this, not the Astron. And my little kinder gardner just waltzed in and I gave him a quiz, which one L or R you like better. He instinctively pointed to the L.

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
I started my hooby as an Omega fan and a rep that everyone should have its the LMPO, its such an amazing piece, every single part its really striking and i have the spectre, the 300, the crpo, and the speedy reps, its such a wonderful watch.

The noob daytona if its a sa4130 super clone thats a keeper for me.

try to get a TC but meanwhile get a JF 16610lv and franken, the kermit its my most used watch.

since i changed to rolex and started to explore the vintage ones I got a thing for the 1016 and the 1680/5513 gilts its a piece that everyone should try at least once

and the 6538 bond its also one of my favs.

I love my cafe racer chrono zenith i just love everything about the vintage design.

The schummy its such a striking piece too

and finally the most popular rolex replica ever the SeaDweller 16600 from BP all times most replied thread in RWI and best OOTB rep watch ( with tc gone now)

Reactions: Hinclimincli

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I started my hooby as an Omega fan and a rep that everyone should have its the LMPO, its such an amazing piece, every single part its really striking and i have the spectre, the 300, the crpo, and the speedy reps, its such a wonderful watch.

The noob daytona if its a sa4130 super clone thats a keeper for me.

try to get a TC but meanwhile get a JF 16610lv and franken, the kermit its my most used watch.

since i changed to rolex and started to explore the vintage ones I got a thing for the 1016 and the 1680/5513 gilts its a piece that everyone should try at least once

and the 6538 bond its also one of my favs.

I love my cafe racer chrono zenith i just love everything about the vintage design.

The schummy its such a striking piece too

and finally the most popular rolex replica ever the SeaDweller 16600 from BP all times most replied thread in RWI and best OOTB rep watch ( with tc gone now)

Thanks buddy. The Noob Daytona 4130 is definitely a keeper, just because of its exceptional functionality under heavy use.

I need to add an omega, somehow I am drawn to the bumblebee with a black NATO strap with thin yellow stripe(s). I know there are a bunch of other excellent models within the brand, but I would like an Omega on NATO to replace the YM. Given this, I should look for smaller thinner watches although there is some model there which looks exceptional in red white and blue.

The Zenith cafe racer is appealing too. I seriously considered the Zenith Range Rover in gen (no rep) but then I relocated and sold my Range Rover. Which factory would you recommend for this cafe racer?

The SeaDweller, looks too much like a Sub which I want to get away from. The Hulk will go. The two tone I will keep, to wear only occasionally, unless replaced by a full gold :)