• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

State of the collection, what's to be replaced? Suggestions welcomed

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Here is the state of my collection. From L to R on top
  • Noob Explorer II CHS w. prof crystal (first purchased perhaps 3-4 years ago)
  • Noob Hulk V9 (first purchased about 1Y ago)
  • Noob Daytona (first purchased about 1Y ago)
  • ARF Sub 2 tone (first purchased about 2M ago)
  • ZF Calatrava (first purchased about 1Y ago)
  • Noob YM (first purchased about 3Y ago)
  • JF Oyester (first purchased about 3Y ago)
  • ZF Portugese Annual Calendar (first purchased about 6M ago) Missing
Why ask for suggestions? I would like to keep the collection to 8. That number fits this travel pouch and is also the capacity of my winder. I want to get a few more, so a few have to go.

What would I like to get?
  • Super-reps. But I can make concessions.
  • The PAM 438 Ceramic - as I dont have a PAM as of now
  • Black dial Explorer I as can use my Everest strap originally intended for the Panda, for some useful purpose
  • 2019 Omega Super-rep something - dont remember as of now
What would I like to keep?
  • Super-reps. But I can make concessions
  • The White daytona (runs perfect to the 5 seconds over long term wear). Extensively used in the field, got a bunch of dings and scratches for its character, so there's a legitimate bond.
  • The 2 tone sub - doesnt run to my satisfaction, but intended only for occasional wear. No point in flipping.
  • The purple JF oyester - it was perfect when it came, never remember wearing it recently, and that Hadley Roma croc strap fits it so perfectly.

Thanks fellas

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
If you don't have an Omega SMP 300 VSF (any colour) in your collection you're seriously missing out on one of the greatest reps of our generation

By the way:

1) Absolutely MAGNIFICENT collection sir. That's a well balanced, gorgeous set you have so far

2) Your watch holder is also unique. Where did you get it?

3) Shameless, helpless plugin but if you make a concession on your JF OP 39 I'd be the first to grab it and shower you with coin

Sent from my DHGate Shitter using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: OldNavitimer

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Any collection os down to personal preference, so I would lose the explorer and yacht master and replace with AP Royal Oak 15400 or 15450 depending on size preference and Omega smp 300

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
If you don't have an Omega SMP 300 VSF (any colour) in your collection you're seriously missing out on one of the greatest reps of our generation

By the way:

1) Absolutely MAGNIFICENT collection sir. That's a well balanced, gorgeous set you have so far

2) Your watch holder is also unique. Where did you get it?

3) Shameless, helpless plugin but if you make a concession on your JF OP 39 I'd be the first to grab it and shower you with coin

Sent from my DHGate Shitter using Tapatalk

(1) Thank you sir! I am going to look at your Omega suggestion. It is perhaps what I was referring to.

(2) I think I got watch holder on Amazon. I will need to dig up to post details, but will be a later time

(3) Thank you - but I did mention, for whatever reason, that JF OP is what I would like to keep!

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Any collection os down to personal preference, so I would lose the explorer and yacht master and replace with AP Royal Oak 15400 or 15450 depending on size preference and Omega smp 300

I had 2 APs, disposed of both. One was the diver and other 15400. The 15400 had the miyota movement which sounded like a chopper hovering over me whenever I was in a quiet place. But yes, replacing one of the not-so-frequently-used Rolexes with an AP even if it is not so frequently used will improve the collection!! Thanks

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I have looked a bit more at the Bumblebee, with the black NATO strap, and I find it more appealing than the SMP 300 - the super-rep of this year! I will look around some more and see where it stands as a super-rep.

And yes, thanks for re-enforcing my opinion that the Explorer II and YM could probably find other homes. Maybe the Hulk and Calatrava too.

Thanks guys Spitfire63 Cheesemonger kennygconspiracy

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
I think you need a blue dialled watch
e84855fa2151af5295536c78acf64eeb.jpg

This is just a shameless excuse to post my new watch hehe!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I had 2 APs, disposed of both. One was the diver and other 15400. The 15400 had the miyota movement which sounded like a chopper hovering over me whenever I was in a quiet place. But yes, replacing one of the not-so-frequently-used Rolexes with an AP even if it is not so frequently used will improve the collection!! Thanks

Man its a 10 minute or probably £20-£30 fix. You just take the rotor off, bosch a touch of d5 mobius in the bearings and its silent as a nun in church. Cant let an easy fix put you off a very sexy watch. If your in the uk ill do it for free, i love ap and i advise anyone to get one :)

HerGy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/19
(1) Thank you sir! I am going to look at your Omega suggestion. It is perhaps what I was referring to.

(2) I think I got watch holder on Amazon. I will need to dig up to post details, but will be a later time

(3) Thank you - but I did mention, for whatever reason, that JF OP is what I would like to keep!

Impressive collection!

Just a note regarding the SMP300, the yellowish lume issue can be frustrating when you look at it.
I would go for the newer ceramic version (lume-issue fixed) if it's to your liking.
I would also suggest you to look at the Omega LMPO V6, well it's not from 2019 but It's definitely an impressive-looking watch.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Thanks!

Spitfire63 I do have a blue dial. The IWC annual calendar. Currently listed as missing as it is at the local watchmaker. I probably will replace the PP Calatrava for the blue dial PPF Nautilus

Dr Fun Socks appreciate your offer. Currently in ModiDesh and will return to the TrumpLands early next year. Yep, I will have to get one nice AP representation. There was one up and commin TD, who got barred - the fella who had a caseback which shaved 1/2 a mm off the 15400 or something like that. Anyways, at that time I didnt have a local watchsmith.

HerGy one omega for sure, will decide between the SMP 300, bumblebee, LMPO V6.

Patsanchik yup, Subs, I am just too self conscious to wear. I feel it is just as obvious as taping a subway 6" on to your wrist and going about!! But one Sub is compulsory in any collection, period! So perhaps, I just keep the two tone for now until I find a full gold to fondle once in a while :giggle:

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Forgot to add, the PAM 438 full ceramic VSF is pretty much on the way.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Thanks!

Spitfire63 I do have a blue dial. The IWC annual calendar. Currently listed as missing as it is at the local watchmaker. I probably will replace the PP Calatrava for the blue dial PPF Nautilus

Dr Fun Socks appreciate your offer. Currently in ModiDesh and will return to the TrumpLands early next year. Yep, I will have to get one nice AP representation. There was one up and commin TD, who got barred - the fella who had a caseback which shaved 1/2 a mm off the 15400 or something like that. Anyways, at that time I didnt have a local watchsmith.

HerGy one omega for sure, will decide between the SMP 300, bumblebee, LMPO V6.

Patsanchik yup, Subs, I am just too self conscious to wear. I feel it is just as obvious as taping a subway 6" on to your wrist and going about!! But one Sub is compulsory in any collection, period! So perhaps, I just keep the two tone for now until I find a full gold to fondle once in a while :giggle:

It was locolouis i think. Several others offer a caseback thinning service, myself included. You can achieve gen thickness on a jf 15400 without too much trouble. Or just buy the zf!

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Very nice collection mate. I had that same Calatrava and it's one of the most beautiful and classy watches I have ever seen. I've also got the same case, and I can tell you that any bracelet that can be folded straight will be a pain. Forget about those Royal Oak or Nautilus, the case is really hard to close with one of them in there.

With that being said, I think every watch lover should have an iteration of any of those two icons, Nautilus and Royal Oak. And what about a GMT? You have a chrono, a dress watch, a diver, etc. That collection screams GMT to me too! Now that ARF and VRF have both released their cloned GMT movements you have no excuse.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Curious to see your impression on the 438

it was one of my most favourite pam on paper then once in hand it was errrrrr

as for your collection i’d say nautilus looking at the pattern, might be wrong

Reactions: Hinclimincli

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Dr Fun Socks yep it was LocoLouie. Thanks for the ZF tip. I didnt know ZF made the 15400s. Even intime doesnt show this yet, but PT site shows it as a recent addition.

Hinclimincli thanks. The Calatrava is indeed beautiful. I find it a bit of an issue with getting real croc strap (cheap and quick) for its lug and buckle dimensions though. Unlike the Oyster. This particular piece has a bit of history too. The one I received had date window frame fallen off. After fix, the timegraph was like somebody coughed over it with a mouthful of fluid. Sent it back to intime who did a great job fixing it. Ok - then within the next few days of wearing it, I dropped it on polished tile from a height of 3-4'. The fall dislodged the 11 marker and some screws. My local watchmaker refused to take on the responsibility of removing movement and sticking the marker back unless I went for a full service. Price was a bit high and so I ordered a new movement from Ryan. As of now, it is working just fine.

On bracelets, or even straps which cant be folded straight, I should still be able to fit the watch in the case - if I remember to carry a springbar tool and a jewelry screwdriver set along with me on travel. Just have to get extras and place them in my travel toiletry case. :)

On GMT, or just generally, yes, I have become a fan of full clone movements (or as fully cloned as currently possible). But going back to GMT, the Explorer II sorta addresses it, but when I get rid of it, the PAM 438 would scratch that itch :) :)

SuperLory I will definitely ping you on my impressions on the 438. But since you ask, I would like to know why were you disappointed with it? Jtime has sent me the price, but not final price including shipping and minus discounts for bitcoin. If he had, I would have transferred the BCs already. I think an all black ceramic with clone movement, and it being a PAM plus GMT should secure it a place in the 8. I plan to use it while swimming or other outdoor activity and have asked for a water pressure test.

And generally, even if I am committed to limiting collection to 8 the collection should represent the marquee brands, complications, and of course, be as super-rep as can be!

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Nice one, so it's a special piece then, not just the standard Calatrava. I love It when a watch gets some history behind it, rep or gen, I find it gives the watch a special character.

On the GMT I said so because ARF and VRF have literally just launched the first real clone of a Rolex 3186 and Rolex 3186 calibers respectively. No more 2836 transformed to GMT or whatever, but real clones of the real McCoy.

naturaqua

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/7/18
r0b9502 Could you please upload the picture again? It seems like it doesn’t work longer...