• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why Aren’t Speedmaster Reps Better?

Oldschool Gwhiz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/12/18
Nor Cal
I was curious of people opinions to why Omega Speedmaster reps haven’t gotten to the super rep status the Rolex reps and others have gotten to?

I just received a Speedy replica from Toro and it’s ~ok~. What I am about to say is not a knock on the TD, Toro did everything right! I’m more talking about the fit and finish of the rep.

The bezel insert is a screaming, dead give away and the dial is a shiny black, not matte. I know the sea gall manual movement doesn’t allow the 6 o’clock needle to function as a genuine, and Ill freeze it if I keep it, but it seems to me that with the Omega Speedmaster not changing much scince the 1960’s and seeing how well factories are nailing other reps, the Speedy’s should be farther along by now...

Am I missing something that makes these watches harder to replicate?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
There is no mechanical movement out there with the correct sub dial spacing other than the gen. My guess is that probably turns a lot away, so you get a lot of variations with what is available.

Reactions: Oldschool Gwhiz

Oldschool Gwhiz

14/12/18
Nor Cal
Oh, got it. If you can’t get something as big as that right then why bother with putting the cost into the rest of the build.

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
If they can't rep the movement correctly, there is no incentive for anyone to rep the dial w/ correct sub dial spacing. They will just continue to produce the current dials that can also be used by other non Omega watches with compatible movements.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Ultimately, the speedmaster is popular in the US because it's the "space watch". Rest of the world not as much.

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
They could do it, just like they did with the 21j Daytona super rep from JF , faux Cronos, high Quality parts and the cherry on top: able to house a gen 861, then whatever movement as long as big chrono works gives the time and Frozen subdials.

I have been asking for this, years, i guess its a vicious circle , as there are not good speedy reps, people dont buy, and if people dont buy what to rep speedy for?

My advice, if you are reading this, go to puretime section and find a thread called " what watch would you like be repped " and ask for a Speedy super clone, yes you reading this, go, now.

I will be saving for the gen from now on, lets see what happens first.

internet

29/11/18
Germany / NRW

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
if you don't mind it not being near perfect...there are some fantastic speedy reps out there. I wear mine all the time. No one else is going to care or notice.

Oldschool Gwhiz

14/12/18
Nor Cal
They could do it, just like they did with the 21j Daytona super rep from JF , faux Cronos, high Quality parts and the cherry on top: able to house a gen 861, then whatever movement as long as big chrono works gives the time and Frozen subdials.

I have been asking for this, years, i guess its a vicious circle , as there are not good speedy reps, people dont buy, and if people dont buy what to rep speedy for?

My advice, if you are reading this, go to puretime section and find a thread called " what watch would you like be repped " and ask for a Speedy super clone, yes you reading this, go, now.

I will be saving for the gen from now on, lets see what happens first.

Wow, I didn’t know we could request replications! I’m sure it’s a years long process and needs a ton of us to ask for the same thing but pretty cool though. I’ll head over to puretime today and check it out.

Xilikon

20/8/19
I have looked at many Omega AD in HK and Taiwan and I didn't see a lot of Speedmaster on display (I was specifically looking at them to try on my wrist during my trips). Guess it is less of a thing in Asia than in the US and maybe that's why it isn't repped so much.

I do agree they could do it if it is requested often enough. I won't bother with this because Speedmaster is one of the rare watches I'm willing to pay for gen.

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go

Oldschool Gwhiz

14/12/18
Nor Cal
Do they even make Bulova reps? The precionist and accutron movements are pretty damn awesome, and I usually hate quartz.

You reminded me about something I wanted to ask on this forum... I have a few Bolivia watches from years ago like a marine star automatic and a precisionist that I haven’t worn in a long time. Do moders use these movement? Should I save them for any reason?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
I was curious of people opinions to why Omega Speedmaster reps haven’t gotten to the super rep status the Rolex reps and others have gotten to?

I just received a Speedy replica from Toro and it’s ~ok~. What I am about to say is not a knock on the TD, Toro did everything right! I’m more talking about the fit and finish of the rep.

The bezel insert is a screaming, dead give away and the dial is a shiny black, not matte. I know the sea gall manual movement doesn’t allow the 6 o’clock needle to function as a genuine, and Ill freeze it if I keep it, but it seems to me that with the Omega Speedmaster not changing much scince the 1960’s and seeing how well factories are nailing other reps, the Speedy’s should be farther along by now...

Am I missing something that makes these watches harder to replicate?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Maybe, just maybe, they ARE that good but no one’s told US since they’re laughing about it all the way to the bank.

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
You reminded me about something I wanted to ask on this forum... I have a few Bolivia watches from years ago like a marine star automatic and a precisionist that I haven’t worn in a long time. Do moders use these movement? Should I save them for any reason?

Bulova is owned by Citizen, who also owns Miyota. Those Marine Stars have pretty decent movements that are useful to modders and anyone looking for a genuine Miyota movement.

The Precisionist movements aren't very useful to modders and are a bit more difficult to offload, but some watchmakers will buy them up for future stock.

internet

29/11/18
Germany / NRW
Do they even make Bulova reps? The precionist and accutron movements are pretty damn awesome, and I usually hate quartz.

No, to my knowledge there are no reps. Even if it's just quartz, the Accutron's creeping second is absolutely mesmerizing.

Oldschool Gwhiz

14/12/18
Nor Cal
Bulova is owned by Citizen, who also owns Miyota. Those Marine Stars have pretty decent movements that are useful to modders and anyone looking for a genuine Miyota movement.

The Precisionist movements aren't very useful to modders and are a bit more difficult to offload, but some watchmakers will buy them up for future stock.

Good to know, I’ll hang on to them. The marine star is pretty old and still keeps great time to this day. I have been really impressed with this watch even if it’s not a sought after piece.