• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GEN VS SUPERCLONE

brycrob

Known Member
26/10/19
hello. I’m a newbie to the replica world, so excuse me if my question seems misplaced.

I’m curious, If you could only have 1 watch. Would you rather have a high-end superclone/franken or a gen shinola/Oris or equivalent (under $1000)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Neither of the crap you mention, I would have the Seiko Astron or Citizen Eco-Drive, both world timers and satellite synced.

Reactions: joeyc and Blutoe73

brycrob

Known Member
26/10/19
Seiko would definitely be in the list. Just was throwing out some names of “better quality” non-luxury names. I agree, I would take a seiko as well.

More trying to see if the quality and desire for a good clone is higher than the other.

schlonz

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/16
the next 10 answers will give you 20 more opinions
for me, a decent Steinhart, Squale, Armida would be the choice

brycrob

Known Member
26/10/19
Thanks. I’m sure it’s straight up the opinion of the person. It is good to know that a $500 rep could be better quality than a $500 gen though.

I have 2 gens and 2 reps. The reps were gifts from my sons, so they mean something to me. Trying to decide if I have $1000 to spend, would I rather get a decent seiko or other brand or a very nice rep (or 2).

Figured I’d start up a discussion.

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
I’m in the Rep camp. I have lower end gens like Hamilton and Oris. Some of my reps are way better in quality. I have the rep and gen versions of a few watches where the reps are so good I can’t tell unless I look at the serial number.

Yes some reps fall short in certain details but those can typically only be seen at 5x or better. Any recent ARF, ZZF or Noob Sub, for example, is better build quality than most lower end gens.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: brycrob

brycrob

Known Member
26/10/19
My father in law is a big luxury gen collector. I had to explain to him that the $150 automatic rep my son got me would be double that amount for an equivalent automatic watch. Even the band on the rep would cost me $50-60 to buy it by itself off eBay or whatever

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Honestly, if just one watch for around a grand or less, I'd get a quartz tag or used Omega diver. Quartz will be the most reliable and accurate.

brycrob

Known Member
26/10/19
My father in law is a big luxury gen collector. I had to explain to him that the $150 automatic rep my son got me would be double that amount for an equivalent automatic watch. Even the band on the rep would cost me $50-60 to buy it by itself off eBay or whatever

alfonzo

25/7/19
Funny I should say gen Seiko when I am a Franken/Genstein guy. I Gotta add that the V3 Noob Daytona is compelling. I bought it to Franken and that is still the plan but I wear it now and it is Very Nice for under a grand:

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
...... If you could only have 1 watch. Would you rather have a high-end superclone/franken or a gen shinola/Oris or equivalent (under $1000)?

a) why in the world would you limit yourself to just 1 watch?
b) Shilola makes fine watches & all but not many of us dream of a shinola

onsafari

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/12/18
If I was limited to one watch for under a grand I’d go for a Seiko SARB033. A step up from the Seiko 5 in terms of build quality and movement and understated style that’s versatile enough to wear in just about any situation.

Octobrist

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/10/19
Baetica
I would probably choose a Seiko, a Presage. Or maybe a Citizen Ecodriveradiocontrolledawesometecnologized. :D

But seriously, why would anyone want to have only one watch?

Last edited:

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
I have gen Omega, Gen Tudor, gen Rolex (1957 DJ), rep Panerai, rep Hulk, rep AP, rep Yachtmaster, wife has Gen Omega Speedy 39 gold green (fab) 2 gen Tag Heure (nice ones), a Bamford Sub Rep, a rep Chanel auto 12, a gen Yachtmaster, we both have gen Tiffany’s.

Love them all. Hard to get a gen Hulk, my ARF is fab. Tudor’s are great value and easy to get.