• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

changing watch faces on reps

armandinLA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/9/19
Los Angeles, Calif
Is it common practice to change out a watch face on reps or is it cost prohibitive? Is it less expensive to just buy another watch? I bought 2 watches (AP Royal oak & Patek Nautilus) and would like to change to a blue face. Where would I find watch faces to buy? Thank you

Reactions: jmclr4

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
Contact your TD of choice and ask if they can source the dials you want. It will be cheaper than buying a new watch.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

iltl64

14/12/18
Is it common practice to change out a watch face on reps or is it cost prohibitive? Is it less expensive to just buy another watch? I bought 2 watches (AP Royal oak & Patek Nautilus) and would like to change to a blue face. Where would I find watch faces to buy? Thank you

It really depends on the model but you should just be able to buy the dial. The cost of the actual labor is very cheap, maybe $15. Dials can cost anywhere from $30 to $300, it just depends.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Just be aware some factories won't sell dials for particular models...I have been trying to get a LMPO noob dial now for awhile, I have the non-Zr02 dial...no luck...but the right thing to do is contact your TD.

iltl64

14/12/18

You can get dials anywhere from $30 to $3,000, it just depends what you want. Actually swapping the dial itself means removing the hands and replacing the hands, which is every easy to mess up if you haven't do it before. You can pay someone to do that (probably $20), or I would buy some junk watches on E-Bay to practice with first.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Something else to consider - You need to stick to the same factory. For both Patek Nautilus and AP RO watches, different factories put the dial feet in different locations, hence you need to go through mods each time.

iltl64

14/12/18
Something else to consider - You need to stick to the same factory. For both Patek Nautilus and AP RO watches, different factories put the dial feet in different locations, hence you need to go through mods each time.

Dial foot location should be based on movement, not factory.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Dial foot location should be based on movement, not factory.

Not true. Both PPF and PF use Miyota 9015 in Nautilus but have different feet locations. For a 1:1 clone movement, feet is in same location but otherwise factory decides.

iltl64

14/12/18
Not true. Both PPF and PF use Miyota 9015 in Nautilus but have different feet locations. For a 1:1 clone movement, feet is in same location but otherwise factory decides.

The feet plug directly into the movement so I don't understand how that's possible, but I've never disassembled s Nautilus rep specifically. I know when you buy dials and hands they are specified by movement, not factory, so I'm not sure how any of that would work, but of the 2 dozen or so watches I've disassembled, movement and dial always matched.