• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The transitional story of just wanting a good rep, to franken mods addiction!

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
As a preamble to this post, I, in no way, mean to come across as a know it all in "all things rep" (which I certainly am not). Just my thoughts and personal conclusions (which certainly don't have to be your conclusions). Basically, this is my warning story of slowly turning into a franken addict, and my hope to "save" at least one person. I have been "clean" from ultimate franken mods addiction for about 6-7 years now (you may clap, cry, or role your eyes at this point). I believe many new enthusiastic rep collectors, like myself, (and still am, just not young and new anymore) started out just wanting a good out-of-the-box rep, for a reasonable price, and not get ripped off. We then got VERY lucky and stumbled upon RWI, and learned about the BS of SWISS reps, AAA+++, and all that crap. As we read, we found our Trusted Dealers, and learned from those on here that truly know their stuff. And, alas, we learned of the "DREADED TELLS!" OMG..."I can't have any of those, so I will do some mods!" (and the slow spiral of franken addiction begins!) Like most, I started with a "small" crystal mod, or (then) gen metal bezel insert. "There now...not too expensive, it looks way better, and I feel better...right?" Wait...another member is pointing out the bezel itself is wrong, or the lugs need to be re-shaped...etc, and those 'tells" must be corrected! I remember thinking to myself, the rep looks pretty damn close already, but I literally found myself unable to sleep, as that newly pointed out "tell" cried out like sirens in Greek mythology for me to correct! I literally felt that everyone must know for a fact my watch was a rep! I then went ALL OUT "franken" to get it like the gen (or as close to as possible). I got so obsessed, I would at times, if they would fit the case, put in gen Rolex movements (really), have the correct model numbers, and find correct serial numbers of gens from various sources, and have them engraved in-between the lugs on the older models. I would then get blank Rolex warranty cards, get the correct watch info onto the cards (complicated process BTW) and Rolex boxes (along with all the other hardware like booklets, tags...etc). If you look at some of my way back first posts (don't bore yourself, just trust me) you may find a post or two of my extreme endeavors. Anyway, it got to the point where I put in $4,000-$5,000k into a watch! I then found I was actually mad at myself! I've since dubbed this "franken remorse" as I knew I spent way too much, there were still "tells" (the biggest one in my mind knowing it was a rep!). In the end, I would sell the franken for way less then what I put into the watch, and either get a gen, or get the original rep and maybe do a modest mod or two. And, you know what, I was way happier! The rep looked just fine to me the way it was (that is the HARDEST part ACCEPTANCE) and, I finally recognized that 99.99% of the public could not tell the difference!

I want to be careful here, I'm in no way stating don't enjoy the hobby, a mod or two, or doing what makes you happy with the watch. It can be fun, but it really can become cost-vs-"tell" highly ineffective. Anyway, this is just my humble 2-cents for those of you that are on the fence regarding...go out-of-box, simple mods, or franken.

Last edited:

xray7

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
1/4/18
Old Dart
As someone who has not once, but twice, taken a TC 16610 LN, regarded as being the absolute pinnacle of repping the 5 digit sub... and installing gen crystal and gen inserts not once, but TWICE, only to flip them... the bug is real.

Congrats on remaining engaged by reps though, you've no doubt seen some changes to the game (and some game changers) on that timeline.

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
As someone who has not once, but twice, taken a TC 16610 LN, regarded as being the absolute pinnacle of repping the 5 digit sub... and installing gen crystal and gen inserts not once, but TWICE, only to flip them... the bug is real.

Congrats on remaining engaged by reps though, you've no doubt seen some changes to the game (and some game changers) on that timeline.

xray, as you say, the "bug is real." And, yes, it is amazing the game changing "super reps" or at least some of them, that are real game changers in deciding to leave alone, mod, or franken. One of the biggest conspiracy theories back then, and perhaps still now, is the factories would purposely correct a "tell" but "break" (for lack of a better term) something on a watch that was fine...very aggravating!

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
I can empathise with your struggle. It’s a real art getting the right balance between upgrading parts and maintaining value. The laws of diminishing returns and opportunity cost certainly apply.

I start feeling uncomfortable around 15% of the value of the gen or usd1000, whichever is less. I then question whether it’s worth having that much of my money in a franken - it would need to be a high rotation watch to justify the expense.

I find Rolex quite tricky because the need for a black hole and a decent datewheel instantly pushes the price up. I’ve got an arf df41 and a BP gold daydate. I’d love to do each of them up with gen crystals and date wheels. I think the DJ41 would then be satisfying at least. On the other hand, I just got an arf 116613lb. Beautiful watch, but it needs a crystal, datewheel, insert and dial - sure I could do it, but it will cost a few grand and isn’t worth the investment, when I could buy a gen moonwatch for not much more.

The rolex watches without a date are wonderful, eg OP and Daytona. I love my op stock and I’ve got a cf bezel on the way for my Daytona. I’ll lower the crystal slightly when I change the bezel and leave it at that I think.

Then there’s the non-rolex nwbig like my ap v7diver. I would never have bought that normally because if it’s size, but I found a cheap one m2m and I love it. The flaws don’t bother me because it’s a great watch in its own right. I don’t wear it super often, but I’d be crazy to sell it because it’s such good value and I love it when I put it on.

I totally agree with you the franken path is a slippery slope. I frame it in terms of:
1) how much will it cost me to get it to the standard I’ll be content?
2) what else could I do with that money?
3) if I spend that much on it, will I get enough value in terms of $:wear ratio?

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
Hi Nivka, l like the “slippery slope “ analogy. I wish, I had the sense in my younger franken days to STOP, right around that 15% mark you mention. I won’t even try to guess at the amount of money I spent over the years on mods/franken. And, good luck (generally) getting close to what one has put into the watch. I “get” the fun-hobby aspect of it. But, for me, I lost sight, and worried too damn much about the “tells.” I love our hobby, but even though I generally can afford the mods, it’s, as you put it, “the laws of diminishing returns and opportunities” That took the joy out of it for awhile.

Rawbe

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/15
CA, USA
Between 3.5 to 4k into a full franken 116610L right now. Everything other than the case (noob v9 brushed per gen), bracelet (ARF, also rebrushed) and movement (serviced SH3135) is gen. I think it will retain most of its value but still, the franken bug hit me hard .. I will think twice before I do something like this in the future.

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
Between 3.5 to 4k into a full franken 116610L right now. Everything other than the case (noob v9 brushed per gen), bracelet (ARF, also rebrushed) and movement (serviced SH3135) is gen. I think it will retain most of its value but still, the franken bug hit me hard .. I will think twice before I do something like this in the future.

Sounds just like me Rawbe! IF, you can stop at just one, (I could not) it takes some of the sting out of any "franken remorse!" The watch does sound beautiful though! If you can, let's see some picts when done!

Last edited:

JohnnyBe

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/1/16
I completely understand and agree with you.
The struggle is real,OCDs kicking in,but the hardest part that cant be modded is ACCEPTANCE,because a rep will always be a rep and thats it.
I d have to add that while i enjoy this hobby it has made me a serious watch flipper.
I remember when i started i had 3 pieces and i was so full,i rotated between these 3 and was quite happy,then i started collecting more up to the point i think i had 17 pieces at once,after that i found my first franken so i sold 4 of my reps to fund it.Then i had it and after a year i decided to sell it,and the story goes on up till now that i ll buy a watch that i like and probably get bored of it in the next month.

Ramone50000

Horology
10/5/18
Can totally relate to this OP.

Started out just looking for 1 (ONE!) Panerai as a daily beater - turned quickly into 30++ watches..

Sold most of those already thinking I'll use the funds for something else - then the franken bug hit and it's still going strong a super frankens later.. sigh..

Any cure to this addiction?

Wait, do I even want a cure?..

Reactions: Warrcraft

alfonzo

25/7/19
The only cure is the next franken. I am at the cross roads of a 116523 or a 16610LV not sure of the direction but one thing is sure another 5-6k into building my next franky. No remorse here just excitement at the possibilities. Franken equation is N+1

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
If In Rolex you need top money in to do a Franken you can live with,
just switch sides to Omega with VSF latest watches which all are top notch.

They are, but just not my "watch type." Women and watches, always have been my downfall! Lol

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
Can totally relate to this OP.

Started out just looking for 1 (ONE!) Panerai as a daily beater - turned quickly into 30++ watches..

Sold most of those already thinking I'll use the funds for something else - then the franken bug hit and it's still going strong a super frankens later.. sigh..

Any cure to this addiction?

Wait, do I even want a cure?..

You are young and eager grasshopper! Lol Give it a few more thousand dollars, and a bit of aging, and get back to us! Lol

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
The only cure is the next franken. I am at the cross roads of a 116523 or a 16610LV not sure of the direction but one thing is sure another 5-6k into building my next franky. No remorse here just excitement at the possibilities. Franken equation is N+1

God! I'm like a junky, just reading these replies makes me feel the franken adrenaline! I MUST-MUST unsubscribe to my own post! :(

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Please RWI, open a detox thread and hire a schrink ah ah!

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: Warrcraft

MasterChief117

Looking Around
23/8/17
Hi guys I dont mean to thread high Jack but your the only activity iv seen on this forum in a while. I'm looking to buy super rep. Iv always been skeptical on spending so much money on a replica name brand watch. My concerns are reciving a basic rep or nothing at all or a watch that has problems later on. I want a Rolex submariner.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk