• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

carbotech or ceramic? what do you think?

adi…italy

10/8/18
Italy
Hello guys! What do you think about composite watches? Carbotech or Ceramic?
I would like to buy a Panerai Pam292 Carbotech, what do you think about it?
better carbotech or ceramic?
Many thanks

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Not sure there is a 'better'. Both are lightweight materials and very scratch resistant, so your watch wont 'age' like a metal one.

Carbotech is lighter, although I don't think anyone knows how strong it is vs the original material, though I'm sure it's comparable.
I've never seen a broken carbotech watch, but ceramic can shatter if you give it a real hard knock or drop it.

Personally, I tired of the carbotech pattern quite quickly and prefer the monotone lightweight hardness of ceramic.

The bottom line is you should get the one you prefer the look of most. I don't have a ceramic Pam, but I'm delighted with my Ceramic AP Diver.

Reactions: adi…italy

SCShrek

SpoonFeeder
7/9/18
South Carolina, US
I have the PAM 441 Ceramica and it's the second most worn watch in my arsenal. Ceramic is extremely scratch resistant vs SS. It definitely not blingy if that's your style.

Reactions: adi…italy

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
Aaaah sadly Carbotech delamination seems to be a thing in my collection... PAM616 v2 delamination at the lug. Promptly replaced with a v3 - and delamination occurs again... Now, not critisizing the material, because chances are I am too ham handed to care for these properly, but I will definitely replace with a ceramic PAM on the next go...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Aaaah sadly Carbotech delamination seems to be a thing in my collection... PAM616 v2 delamination at the lug. Promptly replaced with a v3 - and delamination occurs again... Now, not critisizing the material, because chances are I am too ham handed to care for these properly, but I will definitely replace with a ceramic PAM on the next go...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I wondered if the layers separating on the carobotech may be an issue. The layers on gen are baked together under high temperature and pressure so if there were any corners cut by the rep factories they would probably be here as the material, like ceramic, is neither special or rare.

i’m after a v3 bezel if you’re interested in selling bits?

RamTab

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/7/19
I too am a ceramic fan. I own a PAM441 as well. I am curious about carbotech and someday may purchase one. My 441 is my main watch that has more wrist time than my other watches. Surprisingly, I haven't scratched it (yet).

Mr_B

Known Member
20/2/16
UK
I'd go Pam 438 Ceramic on bracelet, probably my favourite ceramic watch, or maybe favourite black watch full stop. Asides from the carbotech being a little cheap feeling its ok but nothing compared to the ceramic
0-A28-E1-BD-44-C2-4-AF6-A40-F-6201-DD92-AC3-E.jpg

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
Get both. You will eventually anywayz. :p
The addiction will grow stronger. :hypno:

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
I like the dial on that.

It's gorgeous. It changes in every light; the subdial contrasts with the dial, the 'zebra' bezel shimmers away adding to the spectacle. Cracking watch. It's been my most worn watch since I bought it.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
But it's so light and wearable! Size is all in the head. I've only got a 16cm wrist and I still rock that bad boy.

Food for thought. I have a Pam 616. I never really fell in love with it. That carbotech just seemed to suck in light, so the effect was very dark overall. I could go for that other one they just launched - with the blue lume, titanium case and carbotech bezel.... But I'm into my 5 digit Rolex phase at the moment and the Pams will make them feel tiny.

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
What, no votes for the Carbotech!!?! Well I'm voting carbotech. Have any of you guys who are voting for ceramic got the new VSF 979 Carbotech? It's amazeballs! Universally loved as per this thread:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/panerai/7976587-vsf-pam979-new-release

I bought the 616. I loved it in the pictures and in theory. The high tech material, super light super strong jadajada.

as soon as I put my hands on it. I knew that I would never wear it. It looked and felt like a toy watch. I was so disappointed. Had it in my watch box for a while and sold it.

The ceramic on the other hand is so beautiful. A specially when brushed and polished ceramic is mixed on the same watch.

Durable, light and a beautiful depth to it.