• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex ARF 114300 Power Reserve/Accuracy

fletch77

Horology Curious
4/1/12
Hi all,

I have been a member for a while but mainly reading and taking in lots of info. I recently purchased and Rolex 114300 ARF in Rhodium from a trusted dealer, I received the watch about 6 weeks ago and I must say it looks amazing.
However I did notice over the first few weeks it was losing a bit of time (about 20 secs a day) and that the power reserve is about 6 hours tops, naively I thought the watch might just need wearing in to build up the power reserve etc but it seems to have remained static.

So my question is, are the time loss and power reserve within what most people think are reasonable? I completely appreciate that it is a rep watch and therefore it’s not going to be perfect, but it just feels that every morning when I wake I have to set the time as the watch has stopped. I suppose the good thing is that it negates the 20seconds a day loss :)

Finally, any advice on options? Should I mention it to the TD or is it too late? Is there anything I can do to improve the time loss and power reserve?

Thanks in advance everyone

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Might be a silly question but do you manually wind the watch ?

Last edited:
Reactions: fletch77

fletch77

Horology Curious
4/1/12
I do wind it sometimes in the morning after it has stopped, but only a couple of turns, I’m always a little worried about going overboard and doing some damage. Maybe I should be winding it more? I still thought general wearing would be ok for the power reserve, but I’m honestly not sure on the mechanics.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
I have the JF version with the same SH3132 movement and the power reserve is fine. From what I read on the movement its a hit or miss. A lot of these movements came dirty, lack of oil or too much oil. Its been recommended by owners and modders to have the movement serviced upon receipt. There's some threads in the Rolex sub-forum about the SH3132 movement problems.

Faj

10/3/19
It is like it is - I don’t take them off so I won’t notice.
service.. my best of the best caretaker says only do something if you have trouble.

therefor is it troubling you - get it serviced. Wouldn’t go through hassle with dealer the more if it’s dry is not their business- the Rep song.

For me with the SH movement it’s a hit and a hit, I love them.

Maybe the power reserve could be a bit short from time to time.

Last edited:

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
A watch even GEN won't keep accurate time or power reserve chap by just setting the time and putting it on your wrist while also taking it off intermittently. The main spring never gets fully wound .
Try this : 1) Let you watch go flat 2) Undo screw down crown and gently give the watch 25 winds clockwise ( upwards) 3) Stop second hand at 12 and set watch to correct time at the nearest full stick marker 1, 2 , 3 , 4 etc ( So if it is 10.28 set the watch to 10.30 ) 4 ) Then take out your mobile phone a Google CORRECT TIME WERE EVER YOU ARE ( +- GMT ) and get on the on one of the sites that come up in the results . As soon as the time hits 10.30 start watch . This will allow you to check time more accurately . From what you say you don't seem to be setting watch very accurately to gauge a 20sec a day loss 4) Then give the watch another 25 gentle winds clockwise and close the screw down crown. 5 ) Now place the watch face up on a flat surface for 10 minutes and then put on wrist .

I guarantee the watch will keep much better time , and will still be running when you wake up in the morning.

If this doesn't help then that watch has an SH3132 which are sometimes sent out the factory dry ( some people recommend getting the ARF 114300 you purchased serviced immediately on receipt of watch from dealer ). It probably needs an oil/clean / service . So I would get a friendly watch Smith to take a look at the movement ( depending on location you will find one on forum ) and give it a service . No use bothering the TD he doesn't make the watches , and I believe it is also a nightmare sending watches back to China .

Last edited:

fletch77

Horology Curious
4/1/12
Thank you guys for your input, especially for the tips Chocolito. Like you say Faj it’s not overly troubling so I can live with it, I will try Chocolito’s tips and go from there.

Appreciate all the input :)

Reactions: Faj