• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replica Watch reliability, durability, and repair.

jiggyjigz

Horology Curious
26/8/19
Guys I'm just want to know your personal experience with the reliability and durability of your replica watches? How long have you been wearing your reps without any issue? Or if your rep did died, how long (years) did it lasted? Have you had your reps repaired (or serviced just like a gen)?

Sorry if there's an existing thread regarding this but I tried searching for an existing thread but I can't find any. Thanks.

Just Frank

Looking Around
13/9/19
Netherlands
In short? Lady luck!
I've owned a gen Omega Seamaster Chrono 300M; yes the fabled 3D facial SM everybody wants. I have done everything with it; para-jumps, diving, shooting range, you name it and hand to hand stuff (I am a bouncer ????) and after 10 years IT FELL APART! I kid you not! It was serviced 4 times in 6 years... 3 times under warranty! As I was told, a "design hitch" in the first series clockwork.
When the bracelet started to fall apart, I sold it.
I own a hand wound Omega Seamaster Chronostop from 1968, inherited it from my dad. The apple did not fall far from the tree. The watch has seen mayor hardship. My dad bought it new when it came out. In the 50 years the watch was worn... It was serviced twice! I took it on a dive this summer in Croatia. Works flawlessly. Sow... Both gen; one auto, one hand and 34 years difference in age and a total difference in reliability and quality!
I have owned a multitude of diving watches; Seiko, Citizen and a rep Marina Militare from Parnis. Last one stopped working after three years, but three years of hardship and it ran 3 minutes short every 5 days. Still that watch saw some heavy duty. The repairs were not worth it. Even the sentimental value was not worth it. It only resolved the question if I wanted a Pam and not pay the price of a nice new car for a watch.

Hence my point. Lady luck. If you buy a "monday morning model" (Dutch slang for a total dud, made on monday morning in a foul mood and a hangover after a hard weekend) it's just bad luck.
The same watch, bought from the same TD will function without a hitch for your neighbor.

jiggyjigz

Horology Curious
26/8/19
In short? Lady luck!
I've owned a gen Omega Seamaster Chrono 300M; yes the fabled 3D facial SM everybody wants. I have done everything with it; para-jumps, diving, shooting range, you name it and hand to hand stuff (I am a bouncer ????) and after 10 years IT FELL APART! I kid you not! It was serviced 4 times in 6 years... 3 times under warranty! As I was told, a "design hitch" in the first series clockwork.
When the bracelet started to fall apart, I sold it.
I own a hand wound Omega Seamaster Chronostop from 1968, inherited it from my dad. The apple did not fall far from the tree. The watch has seen mayor hardship. My dad bought it new when it came out. In the 50 years the watch was worn... It was serviced twice! I took it on a dive this summer in Croatia. Works flawlessly. Sow... Both gen; one auto, one hand and 34 years difference in age and a total difference in reliability and quality!
I have owned a multitude of diving watches; Seiko, Citizen and a rep Marina Militare from Parnis. Last one stopped working after three years, but three years of hardship and it ran 3 minutes short every 5 days. Still that watch saw some heavy duty. The repairs were not worth it. Even the sentimental value was not worth it. It only resolved the question if I wanted a Pam and not pay the price of a nice new car for a watch.

Hence my point. Lady luck. If you buy a "monday morning model" (Dutch slang for a total dud, made on monday morning in a foul mood and a hangover after a hard weekend) it's just bad luck.
The same watch, bought from the same TD will function without a hitch for your neighbor.

Ok so your rep Pam (or was it a homage Pam) lasted for 3 years? Am I correct?

how about your other reps?

Just Frank

Looking Around
13/9/19
Netherlands
I had a rep Tag and a Tank. I gave them away. Both still functioning. Middle of the nineties. Tank's a quartz by the way. Takes a new battery every 3 years. My mother's favorite... :p
My point is, even a gen can be a piece of sh*t.

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
The clone ETA's or SWISS (if real) are reliable. I still don't trust the SH3135 movements. Too complicated, or "jury rigged" to make look like a gen 3135, but really fools nobody.

Reactions: jiggyjigz

jiggyjigz

Horology Curious
26/8/19
I had a rep Tag and a Tank. I gave them away. Both still functioning. Middle of the nineties. Tank's a quartz by the way. Takes a new battery every 3 years. My mother's favorite... :p
My point is, even a gen can be a piece of sh*t.

I’m asking regarding reps, not gens. But your point’s taken. Thanks.

jiggyjigz

Horology Curious
26/8/19
The clone ETA's or SWISS (if real) are reliable. I still don't trust the SH3135 movements. Too complicated, or "jury rigged" to make look like a gen 3135, but really fools nobody.

So basically reps with clone ETA or SW will last as long as gens?

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
So basically reps with clone ETA or SW will last as long as gens?

Well, nothing beats a gen, however, if serviced regularly and properly, they are reliable and should last a long time. (much better then a tweaked SH3135 clone) Barring abuse, or falling for the "with-standing water" claims. (Just a way to get more money from us) Now, there are pro's on here that can do waterproofing for you, but straight from the factory...no way am I risking that! I always keep a rep out of water, even when washing my hands. Remember, these are reps, they DON'T (NOT EVEN CLOSE) have the water resistance/water proof a gen has. Yes, there are people whom state "they take showers/jump in the pool with their rep's...etc. I would not take that chance!

PurePete

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/8/19
Aust
Reps are cheap so maybe people are reluctant to spend money servicing them?
That and finding a watch smith that will work on a rep.

If you're seriously into reps it's best to become proficient at doing your own basic serving and repairs. It's not as hard as you may think.

jiggyjigz

Horology Curious
26/8/19
Well, nothing beats a gen, however, if serviced regularly and properly, they are reliable and should last a long time. (much better then a tweaked SH3135 clone) Barring abuse, or falling for the "with-standing water" claims. (Just a way to get more money from us) Now, there are pro's on here that can do waterproofing for you, but straight from the factory...no way am I risking that! I always keep a rep out of water, even when washing my hands. Remember, these are reps, they DON'T (NOT EVEN CLOSE) have the water resistance/water proof a gen has. Yes, there are people whom state "they take showers/jump in the pool with their rep's...etc. I would not take that chance!

Copy that chief o7

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
Súper avenger 7750 working good for about 9 Yeats
panerai 104 .. I dont remember the mov. But working good for 8 years
and 3 other 7+ years working good , including AP 7750 seconds at 12 , working good for more than 6 years, so enjoy , they are good.
no service for anyone.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Or, a simple "No" works as well.

Reps are not put together in the clean environment with the same quality control as genuine watches. I have a rep with a Miyota movement that is 25-30 years old, never serviced, and still runs. I have purchased numerous reps that are D.O.A. It’s gotten better buying reps but still hit or miss.

Gaslight16

Speed Demon
5/7/19
Singapore
Really depends on the movement.

My first rep was a 2813 AP 15703ST diver. Ran without a hitch for a solid 5 years and I sold it.

Got a supercloned PAM P.3000 movement , came dead on arrival and it was such a pain to fix. Virtually no spare parts.

Had watches with miyota 8215 movements and they are abit more fragile, they can be quite allergic to being dropped.

Generally I have almost no issues with 28XX’s or 7750’s or miyota 90XX movements . Many I had going for 5-7 years with and without service and they are all running fine.

I have a few SH3135’s and they’re pretty solid too. Parts can be swapped out for gen parts and they run well even without a service.

i generally try to avoid superclones because parts for them can be Super hard to find and some may not be replaceable with gen parts, so I rather go with movements that are commonly available, so if need be, I can always swap out for the gen ETA or valjoux movement and keep the watch running. Service is also cheaper , shouldn’t run you more than a couple hundred or 300 bucks for an overhaul depending on the movement

jiggyjigz

Horology Curious
26/8/19
Really depends on the movement.

My first rep was a 2813 AP 15703ST diver. Ran without a hitch for a solid 5 years and I sold it.

Got a supercloned PAM P.3000 movement , came dead on arrival and it was such a pain to fix. Virtually no spare parts.

Had watches with miyota 8215 movements and they are abit more fragile, they can be quite allergic to being dropped.

Generally I have almost no issues with 28XX’s or 7750’s or miyota 90XX movements . Many I had going for 5-7 years with and without service and they are all running fine.

I have a few SH3135’s and they’re pretty solid too. Parts can be swapped out for gen parts and they run well even without a service.

i generally try to avoid superclones because parts for them can be Super hard to find and some may not be replaceable with gen parts, so I rather go with movements that are commonly available, so if need be, I can always swap out for the gen ETA or valjoux movement and keep the watch running. Service is also cheaper , shouldn’t run you more than a couple hundred or 300 bucks for an overhaul depending on the movement

copy that chief o7

Madmax283

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/1/16

Hi have two 3135 Rolex and (touch wood) no problems at all