• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Automatic watch & vibrations

kanagawa

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/8/19
Hello

I would like to know who uses an automatic watch on a motorcycle?

I've put one of my watches under revision. While talking to the watchmaker, he told me not to wear an automatic watch on a motorcycle, that the movement could be damaged.
I find these comments a little extreme. To be late or early yes, but to be damaged I don't think so.

What do you think of that?

Flinnt

Known Member
31/5/19
Downunder
I probably wouldn’t take it motocross riding but I can’t imagine a road ride being an issue.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
How bad are the roads you ride on?

The vibration will not damage the automatic watch movement, but it may affect the balance wheel regulation/accuracy. I wore my Hamilton Khaki on mountain bike down Big Bear's Grout Bay Trail. It was an unplanned excursion. The Hamilton needed adjustment service afterward. Definitely not the same as cruising on paved road, but I'd avoid exposing automatic to excessive vibration just the same.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I've worn mine with every activity including intense roller coasters, bicycling, boating, sledding, ungracefully falling on ice, digging a ditch....well, you get the picture. Never had an issue with any of my watches.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
How bad are the roads you ride on?

I’m in England so the roads are pretty terrible.

Certainly mountain biking is much tougher - not comparable to being on a bike on a road. I wear a G-Shock for that.

But to the OP’s original question, which I assume did not include off road / trail on a motorbike, I don’t see any issues.

futuretime

Looking Around
22/8/19
I actually do not ride my motorcycle with my automatic watches for this same fear, but I'm actually not sure on the results.

When I ride for a couple hours, and get off, I do feel vibrations running through my hands for about 15 minutes, so it is a concern on how it would affect my watch movements.

Would also love to see if anyone successfully rides a long time on a motorcycle with no ill effects.

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
I have a BMW sport touring bike that I ride with all manner of 7750, 2824/36, 3135, 4130 and even a low-beat 2813. Never an issue.

Now if you’re riding an unbalanced twin bone-shaker, I could understand where that could be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

kanagawa

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/8/19
I only drive on asphalt. sometimes several hours or even the whole day if the weather is right. I never really paid attention when checking before and after.

Amguy1

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
25/9/18
That’s why there is an Incabolic to absorb shocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk