• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

'But I Don't Need a Sales Thread'

Oris

Public Figure
Supporter
25/7/13
With the influx of new members from general forums like Reddit and other third party channels, I've noticed a larger number of watches appearing for sale on RWI which have come from outside the rep forum sphere of 'provenance', or which have come from other slightly hazy origins.

I've also been approached by several new members purporting to be selling items I have active WTB threads for, or by new members claiming to be buying reps 'privately' and even from other RWI members, but without current or previous forum sanctioned sales threads.

On more than one occasion, I've also had newish members ask:
'But why do I even need a sales thread? Because, I know the seller and they are trustworthy' or 'Because the seller lives a block away from me' or
'Because I just want milk that tastes like real milk. Is that too much to ask?'

Sure, it's great that you trust your buyer/seller, and perhaps the most obvious reason for a sales thread is that RWI may be able to help you in the event that a transaction goes south, but there are other really good reasons for sales threads.

In the world of rare watches, cars and antiques, there's little thing called 'provenance'.

provenance
/ˈprɒv(ə)nəns/
noun
  1. the place of origin or earliest known history of something.
    "an orange rug of Iranian provenance"
    • the beginning of something's existence; something's origin.
      "they try to understand the whole universe, its provenance and fate"
    • a record of ownership of a work of art or an antique, used as a guide to authenticity or quality.
      plural noun: provenances
      "the manuscript has a distinguished provenance"
  • A past sales thread can be helpful when you go to re-sell an item, because it serves as a record of what the watch is, how it was sold, and what it was sold with. It also provides a record of its monetary value.
  • Sales threads are documented with descriptions and photographs of your watches. This can prove invaluable several years down the track when there may be details which even the current owner has forgotten.
  • Such sales threads can also be a useful selling point for potential future buyers (and sellers) for the same reason.
  • A sales thread can also be helpful for you as a buyer because it's a public (even when reserved for you) thread, which all members can see and comment on, and so if there are issues, they can be scrutinised and pointed out to you.
Of course, another side effect of watches appearing on RWI from external channels is that some watches may have previously been overpaid for, and the new member will wish to pass on that 'surcharge' when starting a sale here. Profiteering is not generally something that goes down well on RWI, and could bring unwanted scrutiny upon the price you are asking. But I digress.

Back to the point. Even if you trust your 'private' seller, or don't think you'll have an issue with a close friend or 'private' buyer, sales threads can be a good idea. They add provenance to your valuable items and transparency to the history of the watches you are offering. They can be helpful in ascertaining the origin of a piece. They also help ensure a good deal for all involved - all quite aside from the obvious; forum support in the event of an unfavourable outcome.

These are just a few reasons why it makes sense to pop up a sales thread, but I'm sure others will have anecdotes and remarks on this topic to share.

Have a great day,

Oris

Last edited:

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Very well said !

I just hope it will be a stickie so all new members can read it

Reactions: Oris

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
well said !

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Hell, I am.looking at selling some.gens over at Chrono24 and will adopt the; name, date, and website name format for sales there too. All you command makes sense.to me.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
I cannot agree more Oris .Very eloquently stated.

Yes backdoor sales happen but can lead to a whole load of trouble in the sales area when people try to ascertain provenance.

Reactions: DaleM and Oris

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Very well said sir!

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Here is another point for thought , People dont put up sales threads because they dont want to sell the watch they just posted in "What are you Wearing today" Constant PMs asking will you sell me your XX watch are annoying. I have a whole list of friends across multiple boards who have first dibs on my more desirable watches so dont PM me asking if u can buy my watch. Thank You very much.

Your commentary was very articulate and made some excellent points. This is why I keep such detailed records Oris

Last edited:

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Nicely put Oris ! Who knew you had that in you? :lol:

You are exactly right, your comment came right off of Antiques Roadshow!

Last edited:

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I love the M2M area and the rules for using it. When I talk to someone on the board, I can talk and discuss details with confidence knowing that we all know anything sold has to be posted on the M2M area. It gives me some comfort knowing it will be put in front of the board and most likely scrutinized or at least in front of the forum. And no one wants to get a reputation as someone who’s trying to scam other people so it’s a way just to feel comfortable people are honest. Because this is, after all, the internet and it’s tough to feel comfortable doing business on the internet. lol.

Also, as the op mentioned, it’s also nice to post threads so that we can see trends and current prices. So when I go to buy a watch, I can search for the exact same watch (make and model) and see what it’s going for.

Reactions: APjumbo and Oris