• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SS 316L vs. 316F vs. 904L- The final VERDICT- A technical study

Accuphase

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/9/18
Hi. Anyone can advise where can I get rep 904L Stainless Steel Bracelet for Rolex Single Red SD Ref.126600? Only can find the
306L but can’t find 904L at TD. Thanks.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
So are we saying the 904L being advertised is NOT really 904L?

No were a just saying that unless you test each and every watch you can't be sure of what metal you are dealing with

mbserum

Horology Curious
19/4/19
Excellent Study - terrific to see someone explain this so well. Thank you.

Thiccboi

4/3/20
CONUS
This answered a big question of mine. Thank iiii for the thorough research and your 2017 update. Very helpful and well written. much appreciated

lambo79

Horology Curious
1/3/20
very informative, didn't know the difference of the 316F and 316L until now.. thx u

jaguarsign

Looking Around
8/4/20
1. The copper content is different: 904L stainless steel contains a certain amount of copper, but 316L stainless steel does not contain copper.

2. Corrosion and wear resistance are different: 904L stainless steel is stronger in corrosion resistance and wear resistance than 316L stainless steel.

3. Different weights: 904L stainless steel contains molybdenum, nickel, and copper, all of which are higher than 316L stainless steel, and these three metals have a larger specific gravity than iron. So in terms of weight, 904L stainless steel of the same volume will sink much more than 316L stainless steel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fidel Mena

Looking Around
26/4/20
Very Interesting article.
Thank you for sharing your ss knowledge in this forum.
Now we are on 2020, and trusted dealers are advertising Replicas made with 904L
Are they still lying? or
Are factories updating to 904L?
Your opinion will be very appreciated

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Very Interesting article.
Thank you for sharing your ss knowledge in this forum.
Now we are on 2020, and trusted dealers are advertising Replicas made with 904L
Are they still lying? or
Are factories updating to 904L?
Your opinion will be very appreciated

Unless you get your product tested, it's still impossible to tell what's true or not, however, they are no real reason to falsely advertise that now, this whole 904L frenzy is a bit over with and getting 904L isn't really more expensive for factories, they are so many variation in quality that they can always get the same deals on materials

Reactions: Malik321

Rohlex

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/4/20
Rip they're selling 316F as 316L for marketing as 316L is a good name in watchmakeing I guess.

Very good post almost 10 years old but still so relevent thank you!

JohnnyDangerous

Known Member
29/3/19
I admit I haven't read the whole thread yet, but will soon... I do have comment though
I see your point in not being able to source *Rolex's* 904L, but the factories are in China, where there are many, many (many) steel mills.
If one orders 904L steel (which we all know the composition of), they can souce the 904L steel directly from their choice of mills...
The only way we can know if these cases advertised are actually 904L is if we send a case to a metallurgist and have it tested... Then we can call them liars, or not.
I suspect the forging, machining, and finishing processes would be more involved and expensive with 904L... but I think sourcing the ingots wouldn't be so difficult if it were purchased in bulk... The cost would be in the product manufacture.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I suspect the forging, machining, and finishing processes would be more involved and expensive with 904L... but I think sourcing the ingots wouldn't be so difficult if it were purchased in bulk...

Forging is not the question for the rep manufacturer, they don't forge anything, they receive already forged materials. Machining & finishing is exactly the same and not at all more expensive, 904L will behave exactly the same in the mill using the exact same tooling, that's just the myth Rolex tried to feed people to justify their cost. Ask any machinist working with Stainless and he'll tell you the same

There's isn't hundreds of tools to work steel with a mill, and 904L certainly not require anything special if anything, maybe a minor tweak in the speed & feed rates but I don't think they bother

Clearly sourcing the material isn't an issue anymore if ever it was, cheap steel mostly come from India, but as you said, China is well able to produce the same stuff