• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SS 316L vs. 316F vs. 904L- The final VERDICT- A technical study

LEBLANC

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/3/17
Many thanks thedj for your kind comments, and I very happy you agree

WOW, very interested thread, I read it straight through!

Can anyone help me to find out which SS was used to build the PloProf V2 Noob?

316L or 316F?

Thank you

kbui57536

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/18
Nice topic. Very interesting. I always thought all stainless steel were the same.

aggestjimbo

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
25/7/18
California
im curious if the new "904L" marketed models actually come with it now, since this original analysis was years ago

NDJ2

22/11/16
Australia
im curious if the new "904L" marketed models actually come with it now, since this original analysis was years ago
Being an engineer (mechanical) myself, I severely doubt it.
Despite what you may read on replica forums about people being able to tell 904L from cheaper steels by the difference in 'shinyness', they actually can't. So why would the rep factories bother?
People who believe they are buying a rep made of 904L probably also believe it when they are told the watch has a 'swiss' eta. (although at least with those it's fairly easy to tell if you remove the caseback)

Akonoypi

Known Member
13/12/18
That's some serious stuff! Very educational. Learning as I go along. Thanks

loewenzahn

Mythical Poster
16/12/14
Germany
Being an engineer (mechanical) myself, I severely doubt it.

One point speaks for the authenticity of the factories using 904L - it's the known suspiciousness of REP-forum experts. I'm confident that the whole rep industry would take severe damage in case of attempted fraud in this regard.

fly958

Looking Around
31/12/18
As a newbie who just read every word in this thread;
I just don’t get good vibes that an advertised “904L” is authentic. Maybe cause as an engineer, would want to see creditable third party analysis.

Reactions: NDJ2

NDJ2

22/11/16
Australia
One point speaks for the authenticity of the factories using 904L - it's the known suspiciousness of REP-forum experts. I'm confident that the whole rep industry would take severe damage in case of attempted fraud in this regard.

Well they've been proven to have lied once before and there was no backlash and as far as I know no one has proven one way or another since.
The bottom line is these are fake watches we're talking about here people!

NDJ2

22/11/16
Australia

Good to see there's some truth to the claims but at the end of the day there are two things to consider when deciding whether to pay more for a 904L replica:

1) Is it really 904L?
Just because one person buys watch model XX' made by 'YY' factory from 904L
and tests prove it is so, doesn't mean you or I will also get a 904L version. We don't all have access to metallurgical test equipment and will never really know for sure. It's not unusual in replica watches to not get what was promised. I have bought watches from TDs with eta 'swiss' movements - and upon opening the case back found seagull movements inside.

There is a thread somewhere where someone tested their 904L replica and found only the bracelet was 904; the case was 316.

2) Do you really need to spend more to get a replica watch made of 904L?
904L is not an expensive metal like white gold; it's just more salt water and acid resistant that 316L steel (which is why 904L is used in pipes that transfer acidic liquids). Aesthetically it looks, feels, weighs and smells no different to 316 steel. Any difference in appearance is attributable only to finishing.
Keep in mind that other high end brands (often much more expensive than Rolex) manage just fine without 904 steel.

What I think is more important in a rep than the steel its made from, is the quality and cleanliness of the movement, and the QC generally. I'd much prefer to put the extra money to those more tangible improvements.

loewenzahn

Mythical Poster
16/12/14
Germany
Good to see there's some truth to the claims but at the end of the day there are two things to consider when deciding whether to pay more for a 904L replica:

What I think is more important in a rep than the steel its made from, is the quality and cleanliness of the movement, and the QC generally. I'd much prefer to put the extra money to those more tangible improvements.

+1
On this I agree totally. Furthermore I don't spot a difference between the SS alloys. Neither visually nor tactile nor in the shine.

Reactions: NDJ2

hulkamaphone

11/1/19
I've always wondered if reps will stay to use 904l but I guess the benefits are not enough to justify the cost.

xwx_000

Known Member
11/5/18
Thank you for a educational and fun "article". Would you say the game has changed now since you're last post. Are the reps made of 904l ss just a haux or are they actually made of 904l ss?

Alexinho70

Horology Curious
30/9/18
I think 904l it s good but also 316 is good, the problem that some watches are done with not good steel and you fel it whrn u touch it.

dongdong

24/8/16
Now that 904 ARFs and Noobs have been around for some time- is there any more clear answer on if their 904 is legit and of the stated benefits? Given that this article states its 50-100x more expensive to manufacture (or at least used to be), what's changed to make 904 possible in reps for similar price points?

One more question - Some people seem to say visually impossible to discern between 316 and 904 while others state the sheen is different. Thoughts?