• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SS 316L vs. 316F vs. 904L- The final VERDICT- A technical study

WatchestoPlay

Timelord
12/8/16
"There are not at all replicas made with SS 904L either. All dealers know that, it is economically impossible making a replica with 904L. Therefore, the dealer who indicates SS 904L on his catalogue, be sure, he is lying to us and we cannot trust him absolutely. "

is this statement still correct? there are more reps with 904L now....
This is not correct. ARF watches have been tested and returned as 904l

gsxin

8/11/07
To those saying that this post is incorrect as there are 904L replicas out there... keep in mind that the first post goes back to 2011 when indeed there were NO replicas with 904L.

SubVette

Known Member
26/4/18
I would be interested in an edit to the sticky calling out the new 904L SS watches. Most are nearly $500. Although I love the REPS, I cannot "see" the difference between the latest versions for $500. Is 904L heavier? I'll take all the earlier $300 versions I can find. I suspect there will be some in the M2M section as those with older Subs buy the latest and greatest. I recently bought a M2M sub from RSH. I really cannot see the difference with my naked eye from the GEN. I am glad I am not OCD about these watches LOL

Reactions: MyNameIsJack

904L

Known Member
Certified
11/9/10
I would be interested in an edit to the sticky calling out the new 904L SS watches. Most are nearly $500. Although I love the REPS, I cannot "see" the difference between the latest versions for $500. Is 904L heavier? I'll take all the earlier $300 versions I can find. I suspect there will be some in the M2M section as those with older Subs buy the latest and greatest. I recently bought a M2M sub from RSH. I really cannot see the difference with my naked eye from the GEN. I am glad I am not OCD about these watches LOL

Yeah this certainly needs an update. I understand the original post was 2011 however it is now not true and if the thread is not fully read it could discourage people from trusting TD's

pfbweb

Horology Curious
10/5/18
At a minimum, it seems like older threads where the first post is not only incorrect, but significantly misleading should be un-stickied if not updated... Mods?

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
At a minimum, it seems like older threads where the first post is not only incorrect, but significantly misleading should be un-stickied if not updated... Mods?

The information is still useful and was correct when it was written 7 years ago - and was still correct 1 year ago. It's not misleading to anyone using common sense, which is a better way of using a forum than consigning thousands of threads to purgatory because they are old.

Chris ARW

Looking Around
18/7/18
Since 2018, the AR factory and NOOOB imitation watch factory have used SS 904L.^ ^

Instramental1

Horology Curious
15/6/18
UK
Being new to this site, I find it most informative and quite eye opening, As yet only purchased one watch The Rolex Daytona Cosmograph 11650,(Noob) AR.

I think I paid too much, However it’s good to know I’m in a group of knowledgeable people.

Thank you for that extremely interesting write up and comparison between L and F, I will pay more attention
to this when choosing my next purchases.

kaddy

Known Member
14/7/18
Am I the only one who prefers 316 variants instead of 904L due to the lower nickel content? Nickel allergy is a very real thing and develops gradually the more you're exposed to it.

The original post was informative even if it is pretty outdated now that rep makers are using 904L.