• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SS 316L vs. 316F vs. 904L- The final VERDICT- A technical study

ogladio

Known Member
8/7/11
Excellent and scientific post ALE! After reading your data it's clear that dealers have gone for the oldest scam in the book - sell something that's cheaper for you for a higher price just because it's new. Big thanks from a fellow engineer.

Reactions: Santana179

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Another great post mate, I feel that an award for excellent contribution should be given to you.

Hi Bonesey

As always you are very kind and nice with me!!
Many thanks for your opinions and comments

The real award is the good reception, attention and acknowledgement from RWI people like you.

Thanks my friend

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
More interesting reading here. Full metallurgical tests on reps versus gen rolex case (by a rep community member):

http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/108905-316l-really-update-%2335-gen-rolex-case/topic/108905-316l-really-update-#35-gen-rolex-case/

Absolutely. Like the break through when they learned exhaust pipe steel could be shaped and polished into DSSDs.

Gotta wonder what grade the butter soft 328s are made of...

Great post OP :)

Hi MMA
Many thanks for your comments and contribution in this post.
very useful

Excellent post and all of your dissertation is very accurate. In my field we deal with Stainless Steel in applications where corrosive liquids and heat will be distributed throughout a structure. I see the pricing of 316. I HIGHLY doubt reps are made from this. Now, I do know that China was buying up tons of our metals before the Olympics. So it wouldn't surprise me if rep factories could source it much cheaper than we can. Great post Ale !

Hi BMW760

Many thanks for your technical and friendly comments.
I’m very happy you (like an expert) agree my statements.
Like levelmanroger you are going even further than me.
I’m saying the same:
I would like to believe that you are wrong
But, unfortunately, perhaps you are right
Many thanks

Excellent and scientific post ALE! After reading your data it's clear that dealers have gone for the oldest scam in the book - sell something that's cheaper for you for a higher price just because it's new. Big thanks from a fellow engineer.

Hi my fellow engineer!

Many thanks ogladio for your kind (and authorised) comments

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
A truly outstanding post and duly awarded as such.
You guys do realise that you can nominate threads such as this for awards by clicking on the RWI Awards link at the top of the page, yes?

Col.

waterluver

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/7/11
Very Much enjoyed reading your post Ale!! Thanks a bunch. I see some dealers trying to sell the 904 on their reps for over $1000!! Now I know why they are NOT considered trusted dealers here!!

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Many thanks RWI !!!

You guys do realise that you can nominate threads such as this for awards by clicking on the RWI Awards link at the top of the page, yes?

Col.

So do the admins, so congrats to you ALE7575 for this very informaive post!

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/member.php?u=35350&tab=myawards#aw_issue59

Dear all RWI members and specially RWI forum staff,

It is for me a great honor and pleasure receiving this “Outstanding Post†award.

This acknowledgement is very gratifying and encouraging for me.

As I have already say before : “The real award is to be helpful for RWI and the good reception, attention and acknowledgement from RWI peopleâ€

Be sure, I will continue trying to be useful for all RWI members.

Many thanks all RWI forum staff for the award and their nice and kind comments. And many thanks all RWI members for the received support

Best regards
ALE7575

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11

Col.

I was not aware of this feature, but was however in the process of PM'ing you to nominate this thread! Job done then ;)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
I was not aware of this feature, but was however in the process of PM'ing you to nominate this thread! Job done then ;)

Hi bonesey
Thanks again for your strong support and your kindness
You are a big asset in this forum
Regards my friend

Thank you.

Hi ThinkBachs
Thanks for your support and cooperation

Very Much enjoyed reading your post Ale!! Thanks a bunch. I see some dealers trying to sell the 904 on their reps for over $1000!! Now I know why they are NOT considered trusted dealers here!!

Hi waterluver
I’m very happy you enjoyed this thread.
I hope, as always, to have been helpful
How many people trying to lie to us!!

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Thanls for that :)
TBH I'm not sure we have either 316L or 316F in our reps, more probably some alloy that is good enough for a watch but without the expected properties : why some of my reps scratch so easily and not the others ?

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanls for that :)
TBH I'm not sure we have either 316L or 316F in our reps, more probably some alloy that is good enough for a watch but without the expected properties : why some of my reps scratch so easily and not the others ?

Hi Pix
Thanks for your contribution in this thread
As I have already said above:
Unfortunately, you can be right!!
If you have reps with easier scratching capacity than others, it means, of course, the materials are different.
Following the evolution of this thread, we can see that the situation is more and more bad.

Thanks, I enjoyed the reading:)

Hello casca
It is a pleasure reading you like this post
Many thanks for your opinion

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
:)
I'm also surprised with the low percentage of Carbon : when one thinks steel, he indeed first thinks iron + carbon, whereas the latter is less than 0,5% of the total alloy...

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Thanks for all of your time that you put into writing this. :thumbsup:

And congrats on your Award!

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
:)
I'm also surprised with the low percentage of Carbon : when one thinks steel, he indeed first thinks iron + carbon, whereas the latter is less than 0,5% of the total alloy...

Hi Pix again
Yes they are very low in C all three
Indeed, The "L" after number ( 316L, 904L) means "Low" Carbon!!

Thanks for all of your time that you put into writing this. :thumbsup:

And congrats on your Award!

Hi Q5?

It was a pleasure using my time in this thread and being helpful
Many thanks for your acknowledgement and congrats.
You are very encouraging
Regards my friend

D

d4m.test

EXTREMELY impressive!! I felt like I was back in college. The material is challenging to learn and understand, but the presentation and style make it easy to understand. I'm putting your lecture/post in my "Favorites" file so I can read it again. Thanks so much, Ale, for the education! We owe you much!!

dave

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
Hello my friend! I don't know how I missed this thread initially, but it's top-quality. Thank you for your contribution!

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
EXTREMELY impressive!! I felt like I was back in college. The material is challenging to learn and understand, but the presentation and style make it easy to understand. I'm putting your lecture/post in my "Favorites" file so I can read it again. Thanks so much, Ale, for the education! We owe you much!!

dave

Many thanks my friend.
I think you are magnifying my merits
Just I hope to help everybody
I,m overwhelmed by your post
Anyway I'm very happy to be useful
Thanks again