• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Are watches treated differently than other products at ISC New York (USPS) Customs?

watchnerd23

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/19
I have bought branded sunglasses and wallets over the years from Aliexpress and DHgate and every single order has sailed through ISC New York in less than a day. I discovered this forum, did some research and ordered my very first rep watch from a TD on this site. The watch has now been sitting at ISC New York for 6 days. I'm a little nervous. I read posts where people say this is totally normal. So my question is how come my rep sunglasses and wallets never sat more than 24 hours in ISC New York? Do they treat packages that say "watch" on the declaration form any different than ones that say "sunglasses" or "wallet"?

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
I do t know what dealer you have used, but I've never had an order come through with "watch" written on the declaration, "measuring equipment" "gift bracelet" but never watch, unless yours if different I imagine it's just a coincidence

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
Once received a package from puretime which was declared as toy watch.

watchnerd23

10/6/19
I do t know what dealer you have used, but I've never had an order come through with "watch" written on the declaration, "measuring equipment" "gift bracelet" but never watch, unless yours if different I imagine it's just a coincidence

Gotcha ok. I dont know what he declared on the package, that was just my assumption. I bought from Watchfinder aka Fat Panda. So maybe then its just coincidence that its being held up. Have you all had packages held at customs this long?

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
Fat Panda usually declares it as a bracelet. I bought a lot from him.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mrrobot

14/7/16
Just exercise patience, it’s the best advice anyone could give. I too have had stuff be in customs for a day, but others for over a week. Just depends. The combo of it being your first rep watch + knowing the customs risk can get your mind going.

It’ll come. And if not, well...you’ll find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: watchnerd23

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I had 1 out several dozen seized. The vast majority of the time when people worry about this it is for naught. 6 days is very normal + the tracking often doesn't get updated properly. Give it another 10 days before any serious worry.

Gfpatt

Trusted Dealer
15/12/18
Always had delays there. Especially being the last two weeks of summer I’m not surprised. Hang in there.

JMS2016

Only Sloths
Patron
Certified
24/2/16
Lol just don’t use DHL you should be fine.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
DHL, if i recall correctly does not go through ISC New York (USPS) Customs.... it has their own. I used to live in NYC and when buying from DHGate and other Chinese websites, the shipments go through ISC New York customs. On the other hand, I received two shipments from TD's who use DHL and it went through their own customs just fine within the day. Not ISC NY back then. Is there a reason you say not to use DHL JMS2016 ? Seems to bypass ISC NY better than EMS for NYC but maybe I am wrong...

Last edited:

watchnerd23

10/6/19
You should be fine.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Well, today is 21 days that my Cartier Santos is sitting in ISC NY. I spoke to Fat Panda, he said the customs declaration form says "sports timer". He suggested I call customs and inquire about it. Either they will tell me they seized it, or it's still sitting around somewhere and they havent even looked at it yet if at all. He said if they ask what the package is, to just say "a watch" and nothing more. This sounds like a risky gambit. Should I call customs or should I wait some more? This sucks.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Well, today is 21 days that my Cartier Santos is sitting in ISC NY. I spoke to Fat Panda, he said the customs declaration form says "sports timer". He suggested I call customs and inquire about it. Either they will tell me they seized it, or it's still sitting around somewhere and they havent even looked at it yet if at all. He said if they ask what the package is, to just say "a watch" and nothing more. This sounds like a risky gambit. Should I call customs or should I wait some more? This sucks.

Will Fat Panda replace/refund the item if seized by customs. If yes, follow his advice.

bc1221

30/4/14
I wouldn’t worry too much. Sometimes it takes a loooong ass time. They prob sat it aside to take a longer look. Their main concern now is mainly drugs coming from China so they’ll prob x Ray it again and then release it.

I’ve had watches get here in a week and I’ve had watches take a month after they got to NY.

Did you get a tracking update after it hit New York with a expected delivery date?

watchnerd23

10/6/19
I wouldn’t worry too much. Sometimes it takes a loooong ass time. They prob sat it aside to take a longer look. Their main concern now is mainly drugs coming from China so they’ll prob x Ray it again and then release it.

I’ve had watches get here in a week and I’ve had watches take a month after they got to NY.

Did you get a tracking update after it hit New York with a expected delivery date?

I hope you're right! Yeah once it hit ISC NY, USPS site said expected delivery date of August 20th. After several days of it sitting at ISC NY, USPS removed the expected delivery date altogether. So now, there isn't one. I can't believe my TD suggested I call customs. He gave me their number, and said if they ask what's in the package, to just say "a watch". If I am a customs worker taking that call, I am going to go check that package after getting a call from someone asking "where's my package?" Or does it not work like that over at customs?

bc1221

30/4/14
I hope you're right! Yeah once it hit ISC NY, USPS site said expected delivery date of August 20th. After several days of it sitting at ISC NY, USPS removed the expected delivery date altogether. So now, there isn't one. I can't believe my TD suggested I call customs. He gave me their number, and said if they ask what's in the package, to just say "a watch". If I am a customs worker taking that call, I am going to go check that package after getting a call from someone asking "where's my package?" Or does it not work like that over at customs?

Did the message say processed?
That typically means that it went through customs. If it didn’t, you’ll most likely get a letter from customs pretty quick.

bc1221

30/4/14
I’ve also had this happen before.
That has sometimes been the last message I got and the package just show up. USPS pretty much sucks at tracking so it could show up at your door tomorrow with no update on tracking.

I wish we could get shipping from China using ups or fedex. Something that has real time tracking would be awesome.