• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Crystal fogging up

jfdupuis

14/5/10
So I had a watch crystal fog up a bit last night after a hot shower

I removed the case back and let it air out afterwards. Fog dissapeared and i couldnt see any signs of water inside. The watch still performs flawlessly.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Just with my car windshield in the morning.

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
Yes. Happened to me while I was pretending to be a modded. Its due to the humidity of the air trapped inside of the watch when you sealed it. The temperature change simply made it condense.

Also it could be a break in the seal somewhere. I wouldn’t go swimming until you are sure.

jfdupuis

14/5/10
Well I thought the watch was working okay after getting rid of the condensation, but now the movement works for a little bit but then stops after a few minutes...any idea of what might be causing it and suggestions on how to fix it. Any members working on movements in Canada or US? If it needs a new movement who could install that for me? My local watchmaker (who is useless btw) doesn't work on replicas or any chinese shit movements (his words..)

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
If moisture got in and settled within the movement, then iron oxidation likely occurred. You should send it in for service soon before rust gets progressively worse.

blee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/11/15
It’s possible that the brief exposure to water caused some degree of rust within the movement. You’d be surprised how fast certain metals can react to it. I have seen this occur In quite a few ETAs and Japanese movements. Of course, an inspection would be the most definitive way of confirming that. Feel free to browse through the watchmaker subforum. There are quite a few North American based makers that may be able to fix the issue.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Moisture is dangerous, but just condensation doesn't mean that any more moisture got inside the case, if you go for a hot shower or put an ice cube on the crystal of most watches you'll see condensation inside.

But if the watch stops after a few minutes like you just said something bad must have happened, i'd open it up

Reactions: wkim8732

applestooranges

Known Member
18/7/18
If you're keen to fix it you should send it for a service ASAP. Light rust can still be dealt with relatively easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: jfdupuis

pippo

10/1/10
Wise decision.

No proof any any correlation between the fog inside the case and the watch running inconsistently but it's safe to assume something is going on.
If it's a watch you plan to keep, get it checked by a professional.