• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Favorite "smaller" size reps? Under 40mm

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
So beautiful! But it’s Gen I guess

Yes this is gen. That new black with sunburst dial is awesome IRL. You get a really deep black from it and when the sun hits it you get just a tiny touch of deep gray sunburst to it. Really really nice.

I've seen some 34mm reps available (although not in black) - I considered going for one of those as well. Size is not bad because of the large case. the 36mm is more like 38 and the 34 I guess is more like a 36mm vintage datejust. It all depends on your taste, I see people with small wrists PROUDLY rocking 55mm diesel watches ;-)

Absolutely nothing wrong with trying out a 39mm to see if the size is ok for you. In any event you can sell it M2M within an hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: nest1

nest1

Known Member
2/9/18
Yes this is gen. That new black with sunburst dial is awesome IRL. You get a really deep black from it and when the sun hits it you get just a tiny touch of deep gray sunburst to it. Really really nice.

I've seen some 34mm reps available (although not in black) - I considered going for one of those as well. Size is not bad because of the large case. the 36mm is more like 38 and the 34 I guess is more like a 36mm vintage datejust. It all depends on your taste, I see people with small wrists PROUDLY rocking 55mm diesel watches ;-)

Absolutely nothing wrong with trying out a 39mm to see if the size is ok for you. In any event you can sell it M2M within an hour.

Thank you for your feedback!

Yes for now I think I am going to order a 39mm for now and see how it is.

I’d like a smaller one and I’ve seen the new reps of the 34mm but I don’t really like the colors of the dials.
Then I will hope in a nice 36mm rep or think about a magic gen like yours ;)

hung123

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/8/19
IWC Mark XVI

I was actually after a gen 36mm Mark XV on the legendary IWC 5-link bracelet for a while. I'm kind of over pilot watches but thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks =)

So I'm guessing you have a small wrist? Actually I never thought of the size of the lug to lug. I have a small wrist which is 6.5 therefore, IMO the 52mm L-2-L is not a deal breaker.
In the picture it looks big but in person, it's not.

Yeah, mine is 6.25" on a hot sweaty day so I'm usually right under 6.25". It's literally the bane of my watch collecting existence haha! I've dabbled in vintage gens like Omega Constellations, UG Polerouters, Rolex Datejusts etc etc just bc they fit me better.

I have a small wrist as well. The 39mm Explorer sits LARGE on a small wrist.

A 40mm Daytona has a smaller presence than the 39mm EXP1.

The sweetspot for me is 36mm for Datejust/OP. AP15450 (37mm), Sub 5 digit, Yachtmaster/Daytona (they feel smaller on the wrist when on a bracelet). The Patek 5711 is also 'smallish' for 40mm and could work (although haven't tried it yet). The Aquanaut was slightly too big for me.

Ah, another small wristed watch lover! Nice suggestions and I think you're spot on with the 39mm Exp1. I've seen it side-to-side vs. a Sub and the all-dial Exp1 will dwarf a Sub on wrist bc the Sub dial is shrunken by the diver bezel.

I'll check out the 5711 although the idea of wearing a watch that is clearly out of my lifestyle in public would make me paranoid. Good intel on the Aquanaut, I was gonna check that out since it's on the NWBIG thread.

hung123

Banned
13/8/19
Yes I tried an OP 39mm (same case and dimensions as an explorer1) and it was too big for my liking. Settled on an OP36 instead, perfect size for me.

Great watch, I'm a fan of the double batons/markers at 3 6 9 Rolex Crown at 12. The blue explorer dial of the OP36 is interesting but I prefer classic black. Too bad no factories are making OP36 reps which is weird bc you'd think they would be popular in the Asian market....

Reactions: nest1

nest1

Known Member
2/9/18
Great watch, I'm a fan of the double batons/markers at 3 6 9 Rolex Crown at 12. The blue explorer dial of the OP36 is interesting but I prefer classic black. Too bad no factories are making OP36 reps which is weird bc you'd think they would be popular in the Asian market....

Would be fantastic to see a nice rep of the 116000

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU

I love the dial+hands on the EXP1 (+ chromalight) but I just couldn't get with the size of it. If they still made the EXP1 in 36 I would have one of those. Like you said, next to a Sub the 39mm indeed looks larger because of the large dial.

With that said, I'm still extremely happy with it. Even if it will most likely drop 20% off retail (unlike other steel models) . Size is just absolutely spot on for me and couldn't help but buy it after the AD had pulled it out from their just received inventory. (Seems like every AD in 200 miles radius currently only holds two-tone models)

Last edited:

tedit

Supporter
12/3/18
Hello all,
I’m selling my 15450 with leather strap.
If anyone is interested please check my thread.
Thanks,
Tedi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hung123

Banned
13/8/19
Here are some pics and a video wristroll of my JF 15450 https://imgur.com/gallery/eRmzVUo

Love the way this wears on the wrist, reminds me of the way a 5-digit sub wears (not too big, not too small)

Reactions: csthe

recan1ze

9/1/17
Germany
same problem for my girlfriend.
she loves her ARF 37mm yachtmaster rhodium BUT the bezel click sucks compared to gen...

40mm are big for woman wrists

Eatdirtfartdust

Known Member
17/4/19
STL. MO USA
Would you share some pictures for us? :)

Also curious to buy this watch (the 41mm OXF one at least which was recently released)

Hopefully this iCloud sharing link works, because I don’t have success uploading pics to this board otherwise.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bTdWx3kxHSLdyegkH8cigPTQ

The strap it comes with is trash. Doesn’t adjust properly and is not comfortable on a small wrist. It will scratch and poke the hell out of you. A Bond NATO strap goes beautifully with it, I think.

If I had to buy this piece over again, I would look closely at the date wheel. The date wheel on mine is a smidge too far to the left, so when you get into the 20s and 30s, the left character is cut off a bit, and you can see the gap on the right.

G

I have a small wrist so I understand where you're coming from...

I have AP 15450 by JF which fits like a glove on my wrist. I love it.

Also ARF oyster perpetual 39mm.

And of course a 38mm BP datejust.

These are my go to small watches...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

LinaMinelli14

Known Member
16/10/19
Hey Im also looking, i i found:

Datejust 36 mm (you get a date)
Blackbay 36 mm (looks clean)
Vintage Explorer 1 36 mm (still being sold)

Also check some women's collection Omega e.g.