• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Favorite "smaller" size reps? Under 40mm

hung123

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/8/19
Hi guys, couldn't find a post on this topic via search so my apologies if this has been asked before.

I have pretty slim wrists a shade under 6.25 inches and am interested in smaller reps. I've recently ordered a 37mm APRO 15450 by J Factory and am debating the 35mm Cartier Santos by GF. I've heard the ARF DateJust 36mm is another good one too.

Can you guys suggest other reps under 40mm that you enjoy? I'm interested in all sorts of styles (sports, dress, etc) and would prefer a reliable swiss movement that I can easily repair or replace (ETA, Sellita, Miyota is okay).

Big watches that wear smaller with under 48-50mm lug-to-lug I'm interested in too (my daily driver is a gen-16610), just no PAMs or Hublot please lol.

Svitzer

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Rolex Explorer 214270? 39mm and a real stunner: both dress and casual. Very close to gen.

53bc90b829d651a1a828557195f26ad8.jpg

PS I believe it’s in 36mm as well but not sure which factory makes good reps of that one.

Rush

I'm Pretty Popular
29/5/16
CONUS
My Santos watches are 38mm. A good choice.
6fe5521be714e36378c76118f25b7a5d.jpg
51d16691439d8c1370e7cec7feec2a7a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: centrum

tructure

Supporter
6/1/15
lots of choices

Tudor blackbay 58
Tudor blackbay 36mm
Rolex perpetual 39mm
Rolex datejust 36mm
Rolex yachtmaster 37mm
Rolex vintage daytona
Zenith Pilot 40mm (wears smaller)

Reactions: Danii

hung123

Banned
13/8/19
Thanks for chiming in guys.

Rolex Explorer 214270? 39mm and a real stunner: both dress and casual. Very close to gen.

PS I believe it’s in 36mm as well but not sure which factory makes good reps of that one.

Your Exp1 looks great on you! I was debating between the Rolex gen-14060 and the gen-114270 as a weekend watch before I discovered the world of reps. I think the 39mm is too big for me so I would prefer the 36mm version but I've heard only BP makes one and the dial isn't good?

My Santos watches are 38mm. A good choice.[/IMG]

Your pair of Cartiers look superb. Love the bold and masculine look for a dress watch.

lots of choices

Thanks for the suggestions! Let me nitpick a bit here:

Tudor blackbay 58
- I've read on here that the grey dial on the rep is a tell vs. the gen. Also, I've seen the gen-BB58 in person on wrist - it's much bigger than its' 39mm case size suggests. I don't know, it just seemed very thick and slab-sided I could be wrong on this and my perception might have been skewed since I did not try it on.

Tudor blackbay 36mm
- I'm personally not a fan of the dimensions of the snowflake hands to the dial, I've heard that Tudor's design department just used the same hands from their Black Bay divers for this watch.

Rolex perpetual 39mm
- The movement is a dealbreaker for me, I would prefer to have the watch running reliably from day 1 vs. having to service immediately. My preference is for swiss based movements > Chinese clones since I can easily repair or drop a new movement into the case if something goes wrong (which happens with some regularity from what I've read on these forums)

Rolex datejust 36mm
- I mentioned the ARF version in my OP. Also, considering DJF version as well.

Rolex yachtmaster 37mm
- This watch is actually super small in person, even for my wrist. The diameter of the dial is shrunk even more by the diver bezel.

Rolex vintage daytona
- I used to collect vintage gens and for some reason, I just don't want to venture into vintage reps (yet). This a personal reason for me and doesn't have anything to do with the watch itself.

- interesting suggestion, I'll have to look more into this one. Here's a link to the RWI thread here for anyone else reading this thread and is interested https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/zenith/310084-looking-for-info-on-this-40mm-zenith-pilot

centrum

27/7/14
Here are my favorite small rep watches under 40mm:
Tudor Black Bay 58
Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114300
Rolex Explorer I 214270
Cartier Santos-Dumont
and perhaps the 36mm Rolex Datejust?

Reactions: Faj and Danii

centrum

27/7/14

Your Exp1 looks great on you! I was debating between the Rolex gen-14060 and the gen-114270 as a weekend watch before I discovered the world of reps. I think the 39mm is too big for me so I would prefer the 36mm version but I've heard only BP makes one and the dial isn't good?

Your pair of Cartiers look superb. Love the bold and masculine look for a dress watch.

Thanks for the suggestions! Let me nitpick a bit here:

Tudor blackbay 58
- I've read on here that the grey dial on the rep is a tell vs. the gen. Also, I've seen the gen-BB58 in person on wrist - it's much bigger than its' 39mm case size suggests. I don't know, it just seemed very thick and slab-sided I could be wrong on this and my perception might have been skewed since I did not try it on.

Tudor blackbay 36mm
- I'm personally not a fan of the dimensions of the snowflake hands to the dial, I've heard that Tudor's design department just used the same hands from their Black Bay divers for this watch.

Rolex perpetual 39mm
- The movement is a dealbreaker for me, I would prefer to have the watch running reliably from day 1 vs. having to service immediately. My preference is for swiss based movements > Chinese clones since I can easily repair or drop a new movement into the case if something goes wrong (which happens with some regularity from what I've read on these forums)

Rolex datejust 36mm
- I mentioned the ARF version in my OP. Also, considering DJF version as well.

Rolex yachtmaster 37mm
- This watch is actually super small in person, even for my wrist. The diameter of the dial is shrunk even more by the diver bezel.

Rolex vintage daytona
- I used to collect vintage gens and for some reason, I just don't want to venture into vintage reps (yet). This a personal reason for me and doesn't have anything to do with the watch itself.

- interesting suggestion, I'll have to look more into this one. Here's a link to the RWI thread here for anyone else reading this thread and is interested https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/zenith/310084-looking-for-info-on-this-40mm-zenith-pilot
The Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114300 from BP uses the reliable A2824, which is far more reliable than the clone 3135.

I wear one myself, and in fact, it's been my daily watch on holiday here in Korea.
93f71b3f4f22d3afaba175c4d9f10413.jpg

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Svitzer

Renowned Member
22/1/17

Happy to help! Pic is from the internet, but I do own one myself as well. ARF, which is amazing.

Hope somebody can answer your question on the 36mm good rep options. Maybe try a 39mm if you’re at a local dealer if possible to be sure size-wise. Good luck and lots of good

hung123

Banned
13/8/19
The Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114300 from BP uses the reliable A2824, which is far more reliable than the clone 3135.[/IMG]

I have the same issue with the 114300 as I do with the 214270 - it's a bit too big for my wrist. I've tried the white dial gen version on at a Rolex AD and much prefer the way my 5-digit gen-Sub fits on wrist so much better. Enjoy your watch and safe travels in Korea.

Reactions: nest1

hung123

Banned
13/8/19
For me it's my JF AP 15400 RG in Black leather strap.

Thanks for your suggestion. I've heard the 15400 lug-to-lug is 52mm which immediately disqualifies it for me. Beautiful watch though, I've seen you post pics of yours before. The 15450 on the other hand is 46.7mm lug-to-lug (according to a Watchbox video) which makes it pretty much perfect for me in terms of the dimensions.

Reactions: WATCH HACKER

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
Thanks for your suggestion. I've heard the 15400 lug-to-lug is 52mm which immediately disqualifies it for me. Beautiful watch though, I've seen you post pics of yours before. The 15450 on the other hand is 46.7mm lug-to-lug (according to a Watchbox video) which makes it pretty much perfect for me in terms of the dimensions.

Thanks =)

So I'm guessing you have a small wrist? Actually I never thought of the size of the lug to lug. I have a small wrist which is 6.5 therefore, IMO the 52mm L-2-L is not a deal breaker.
In the picture it looks big but in person, it's not.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
I have a small wrist as well. The 39mm Explorer sits LARGE on a small wrist.

A 40mm Daytona has a smaller presence than the 39mm EXP1.

The sweetspot for me is 36mm for Datejust/OP. AP15450 (37mm), Sub 5 digit, Yachtmaster/Daytona (they feel smaller on the wrist when on a bracelet). The Patek 5711 is also 'smallish' for 40mm and could work (although haven't tried it yet). The Aquanaut was slightly too big for me.

Reactions: Danii

nest1

Known Member
2/9/18
I have a small wrist as well. The 39mm Explorer sits LARGE on a small wrist.

A 40mm Daytona has a smaller presence than the 39mm EXP1.

The sweetspot for me is 36mm for Datejust/OP. AP15450 (37mm), Sub 5 digit, Yachtmaster/Daytona (they feel smaller on the wrist when on a bracelet). The Patek 5711 is also 'smallish' for 40mm and could work (although haven't tried it yet). The Aquanaut was slightly too big for me.

Have you tried an OP 39 mm and can tell the difference with a 5 or 6 digit Sub? Does it wear as the Explorer1 maybe?

Wish they have made an OP 36 mm, maybe I will consider a Tudor Black Bay (36mm)

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18

The 15450 will be a great choice for you

Reactions: hung123

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Have you tried an OP 39 mm and can tell the difference with a 5 or 6 digit Sub? Does it wear as the Explorer1 maybe?

Wish they have made an OP 36 mm, maybe I will consider a Tudor Black Bay (36mm)

Yes I tried an OP 39mm (same case and dimensions as an explorer1) and it was too big for my liking. Settled on an OP36 instead, perfect size for me.

roly.jpg

Reactions: Danii and nest1

nest1

Known Member
2/9/18
Yes I tried an OP 39mm (same case and dimensions as an explorer1) and it was too big for my liking. Settled on an OP36 instead, perfect size for me.

roly.jpg

So beautiful! But it’s Gen I guess