• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What to do with a dead Miyota?

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
This is a PPF ZF calatrava. When I received it from intime, it had the date frame fallen off. I sent it back for repair, and Intime did an excellent job repairing and shipping it back.

All was fine till I dropped it on a concrete/tile floor from a height of about 3-4 feet. Various parts became dis-associated as seen below. There was a deco screw visible from the backside blocking movement of rotor. Kept this aside for a bit, and decided to tackle it now. As of now the mainspring refuses to oscillate and second hand doesnt move. It used to move for a bit after fall is what I think.

a baby butterfly is called

Movement pictures are shown below. I am thinking of removing movement to check for any other dis-associated particles blocking function, and of course to reglue that fallen marker. But, stem has to be removed to remove the movement, and I do not see any button to pull out. Perhaps it is hidden under some deco plate. Any advise on this is welcomed.

Tanks!

hm11esh

4/9/18
buy another miyota movement and swap it out. cheap and easy

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
Yes you can swap it but unfortunately, most of miyotas that in patek have been modified/thinned so you will have to do some tweaking especially to fit the datewheel.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Its a beautiful watch, why risk it and don't use a watch smith?
:drool:

AlphaProt

Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
Get the watchsmith to buy a new miyota mate.
Its not an easy switch! Things like deco plates and datewheel need to be swapped also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gfpatt

Trusted Dealer
15/12/18
Did you send some pics to Intime? Maybe they can get you some answers as to take it apart. Beautiful watch!!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Mate why not get your TD to send you a new movement, then ask him to send a new dial, hands case and crystal and have your watch maker put it together for you ?

Actually, the button is under this curved plate here, if your lucky the 2 screws will be real screws, not a glued on plate, and you'll be able to access stem release button.

IMG-3565.jpg

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Thanks all. I thought there were no watcsmitshs around here, but searching "automatic watch repair" on google maps showed 2 prospects, a good one and other not so good. Will go check them out soon.

Thought not best to bother Ryan on this. He has fixed it once, and this time is fully my fault for dropping it.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Mate why not get your TD to send you a new movement, then ask him to send a new dial, hands case and crystal and have your watch maker put it together for you ?

Actually, the button is under this curved plate here, if your lucky the 2 screws will be real screws, not a glued on plate, and you'll be able to access stem release button.

IMG-3565.jpg

This I could do. Buy a mioyta movement from Ryan. If that is the case, I may as well attempt some repair myself and ruin this fully!

AlphaProt

Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
Where are you based? Could send it off to one of the forum’s watchsmith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Ok folks - took this and the other one (IWC annual calendar) to the nearest horologist (watch smith) with good reviews as shown on google map search.

The good gent, showed me holes where 3 screws have fallen out. Told me he wont disassemble it unless I agree to full service. Pointed to that oscillating spring (?) and told me that it will just fall out if he tries to disassemble.

Full service is a bit expensive as quoted, approaching 3/4 of price I paid for the watch. I have asked Ryan if he can source a replacement movement.

The moral of this story: ask around the forum, and then do a google search

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I think he’s charging you GEN price for it then.

Sorta, but not exactly. Asked equivalent of about $300. He came down to about $200, and he told me that even though it is a rep, it is a excellent copy and still has value :giggle:

If I am able to source a replacement movement, he will swap it in for maybe $20-30. I will donate this dud movement for his apprentice to practice on