• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

4yo Submariner - hour marker fell off. And now?

parajba

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/5/14
As per title, I have been using a BK Submariner for 4 years. It has an ETA movement. The watch has been flawless. A few days ago I dropped it. It kind of soft landed as I managed to partially absorb the fall by using my foot but eventually it hit the ground. And the rectangular hour marker for 9:00 came off. What are my options now?

1) go to a local watchsmith and ask they to re-glue it
2) Pack it and send it to BK
3) Invest $400 in the newest replica and toss mine (I believe that BK uses Noob?)

Apart from this the watch is perfect.

My preference is option 1) if it’s easy and if small repair shops (which don’t sell watches, they just repair) don’t create trouble with Rolex replicas.

Thanks!

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
it's your choice between 1 and 3, i'd avoid 2 just because it's faster if you go with 1, but 3 is amazing as well since there have been some nice upgrades in the repgame in the last 4 years :)

hm11esh

4/9/18
This can easily be fixed. Just get a watchsmith to open it up and glue the marker back into position. It will be the cheapest fix too

Reactions: xartan

Danii

I'm Pretty Popular
16/12/15
Are you happy with the piece, looking away from the hour marker? If so get a watchmaker to look at it (local or anyone from RWI), if not: buy supporter, put it on M2M and get a new one.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Easily repaired... either have a local watchsmith do it or send it to one of the forum watchsmith.

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Or sell it here (200$?) and invest additional 200$ to get a nee ZZF. Very good ootb.

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Or option 4) Open the caseback, remove the stem, take out the movement, glue the marker back in place with a tiny drop of (super) glue. Let it dry in the open air so the glue vapor won’t leave residue on crystal, reinstall the moment and crown.

Reactions: François.Fillon

parajba

30/5/14
Thanks all!

I actually considered fixing it myself, I like the idea, the only problem is that I don’t know how to open the back and remove the stem etc. Is there a tutorial anywhere? I am quite OK with manual detailed work.

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Thanks all!

I actually considered fixing it myself, I like the idea, the only problem is that I don’t know how to open the back and remove the stem etc. Is there a tutorial anywhere? I am quite OK with manual detailed work.

Easy way: get a rubber ball as caseback opener.
DiY way: make a ball out of duct tape. Sticky side out.

Once inside, you’ll see a tiny button on the movement next to the stem. Press it gently (not to deep) and pull the crown.

Unscrew the 3 screws that hold movement in the case. Turn over the case, the moment will drop out just like that.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19

Once inside, you’ll see a tiny button on the movement next to the stem. Press it gently (not to deep) and pull the crown.

Unscrew the 3 screws that hold movement in the case. Turn over the case, the moment will drop out just like that.

There are a ton of videos on YouTube that will walk you right through this too.

parajba

30/5/14
Thanks! I’ve purchased a rubber ball case back openers, will let you know when it arrives. Once it’s open I would mind doing some basic maintenance or cleaning it up if that’s also easy?

parajba

30/5/14
I don’t seem to be able to edit my posts...
Fixed a few typos.

Thanks! I’ve purchased a rubber ball case back opener, will let you know when it arrives. Once it’s open I wouldn’t mind doing some basic maintenance or cleaning it up if that’s also easy?

Will take a look on YouTube too.

Thanks for now :)

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
I don’t seem to be able to edit my posts...
Fixed a few typos.

Thanks! I’ve purchased a rubber ball case back opener, will let you know when it arrives. Once it’s open I wouldn’t mind doing some basic maintenance or cleaning it up if that’s also easy?

Will take a look on YouTube too.

Thanks for now :)

To edit, Press the check mark ‘V’ next to like button. Same as to quote someone. But apparently it’s only possible short after a post.

Cleaning up the threads of the caseback is easy. Maintenance however is not. Greasing the gaskets and perhaps oiling the rotor are the only easy things.

You could be brave and dismantle the movement to clean and oil it. But you really have to know what your doing or don’t have to mind f*cking up the movement. Lol

*see edit possible ;-)

Last edited:

parajba

30/5/14

Ball arrived. Managed to open the back, happy days.
See below pictures.

How do I remove the stem? Do I need to do anything to the crown first? I can see two little screws, not 3 on the case.

IMG-3755.jpg

IMG-3753.jpg

Last edited:

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Underneath the picture host website you see the word ‘about’ or similar in your language. Click it and you see ‘BB code’. Copy and past that link here.

IMG-3755.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: parajba

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
But the stem release button...
In the outer gold colored ring of the movement you see a tiny hole. Just below the stem. Just left of the large gear you see peeking out of the center of the movement.
Gently press that button with small screwdriver or something similar and simultaneously pull the crown out.

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Now that the back is open, it’s a good time to grease the o-rings in the caseback and crown. You can use some non acidic silicone grease.

Last edited:

parajba

30/5/14
Thanks a lot! This one? (Blue arrow).

And to put it back, shall I simply insert the crown and I suspect it will ‘click’ into place?

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Thanks a lot! This one? (Blue arrow).

And to put it back, shall I simply insert the crown and I suspect it will ‘click’ into place?

9-B8-CF4-A7-FCFF-47-BA-A4-AC-3-E80-DAAABB80.jpg

Yes, that one.
And yes, for putting the stem back, just press it back in. But be gentle. If you feel to much pressure, don’t press harder or you’ll mess up the keyless. Just gently try again while turning the stem.

Last edited:

blee

11/11/15
TBK gives great advice. Apply only enough pressure needed to remove the stem. Anymore, and your keyless works will need to be reset. Additionally, it would help to have the stem pulled out into the minutes position prior to pulling the stem, in order to minimize slipping the keyless works into oblivion.

While others have recommended super glue, I would use gs hypocement instead, and apply it through the hole of the marker from the BACK of the dial.

Do you have a presto tool and hand setting tool for dealing with the hands?