• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PSA - Paypal Gift is the worst possible way of transacting in M2M

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
Hi all,

Just wanted to remind members that taking Paypal gift as a seller on M2M is probably the WORST way to accept monies. I was just charged back a very large sum of money while taking PP gift payments, because the buyer had funded the gift payment with a credit card. All the buyer has to do is call the issuer of that card, say it was fraud and unauthorized, and you immediately lose the dispute. Paypal cannot help in any way, all they do is simply deduct your balance or put it in a negative balance. No matter what evidence you provide, it won't matter because now you are fighting a bank and not with paypal. There is also the conundrum that even if you provide tracking, shipping, PROOF of delivery, if the payment was sent as GIFT it is against Paypal's TOS.

Stay vigilant, what they say about "buying the seller" rings true of "buying the buyer"

Last edited:

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Oh no ! I hope it was not the fucking guy from Hamburg again

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
i hate these guys :(

I was lucky in my transactions but is something can happen to anyone

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
Sorry yo, I saw that dude by 6 watches in a week. I was in awe that someone actually was doing the shopping spree that I always wanted to do. Guess there’s a reason.

I wonder if there is an etherum solution for this sort of thing.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
First, that sucks! Sorry it happened to you.

Can you give us any other insights into selling the buyer? Was this a newbie? Any signs of it going bad before it did (in hindsight)? And obviously has this person been banned and the other sellers contacted about this as the post above me eluded to?

Oh, and are we gonna release some personal info so we can tar and feather em?

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
People have the false impression that because they use or ask Paypal Gift or Friends and Family as it's called now, you are protected against chargeback, but even without going as far as to call the bank to issue a chargeback against Paypal, as in Yodog's case, Paypal gift can still be charged back, we've seen it in previous issues via the HD.

I'll not detail how it's done, but just be aware, that when you can and by agreeing with the seller, use another method of payment if possible or choose your buyer/seller carefully !

AlphaProt

Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
This sucks when this happened. Why are some people so dishonest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john45

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/4/18
Sonoma
Very sorry this happened. I know you to be very honest and straightforward in your dealings......

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I am sorry that happened to you.

BTW, Wells Fargo Zelle is good for transaction.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I really prefer TransferWise if it’s an option. But I had no idea about this loophole with F&F PP.

Given that it’s the option used in 99% of M2M, I’ve been really lucky so far - having traded over 50 watches this year without any payment issues or bad experience.

So that’s a positive light to throw on this discussion and these rep forums - the vast majority of members are honest and trustworthy folk.

hm11esh

4/9/18
Sorry to hear that. Shame that one individual ruins the whole experience fro all.

Thank you for the heads up. I always use bank transfer anyway to protect myself

samquigley

Horology Curious
15/3/14
Apologies for the noob question, but what are the best options (besides direct deposit, which the buyer could well feel uneasy about)?

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
I don't get why someone will scam for a price of a rep... It is not like we talk in millions here...

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I don't get why someone will scam for a price of a rep... It is not like we talk in millions here...

It’s an interesting perspective that scamming isn’t worthwhile unless the amount involved is millions...

It happens because a) thieves operate at all levels of the economic spectrum, and b) the sums involved are significant; reps can be worth high hundreds, to thousands.

Anyway, the loss of £50 to a thief would hurt me. And as the OP is pointing out through painful experience, it’s easy money for a scam artist. And scammers love easy money.

yodog

Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
Apologies for the noob question, but what are the best options (besides direct deposit, which the buyer could well feel uneasy about)?

If you are in the US - Zelle/Venmo

International - Bank Wire/Transferwise

Hell an envelope full of cash is better than fuckin' Paypal.

Reactions: samquigley