• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TD selling tactics

hm11esh

4/9/18
Don’t see how it’s possible to modify a 111 dial to a base 112.

what he does is removed the second function at 9 and then changes the movement. don't know the exact details but he has the 112 and I have purchase don 3 months ago

hm11esh

4/9/18
Curious your thoughts on this one?

I had a TD send me QC pics where they adjusted the hands specifically to hide an obvious defect on the dial.

Of course when the watch arrived and the hands were not covering the obviously defective dial I was sort of thinking to myself, "how did I miss that on the QC!?"

That is until I looked at the QC and saw that the hands were somehow set to exactly cover the defect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That's bad practice to me. Is this really what TD's are doing these days?

G123

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/6/19
That's bad practice to me. Is this really what TD's are doing these days?

Funny thing is that once they were called on it they did not even seem embarrassed, have made a half attempt to fix the situation abd even that they gave not come through on.

On top of that they tried to pretend it was a coincidence that the minute hand was exactly in front of the defect. There is literally a 98.3% chance that is a lie (1-(1/60)).

hm11esh

4/9/18
Funny thing is that once they were called on it they did not even seem embarrassed, have made a half attempt to fix the situation abd even that they gave not come through on.

On top of that they tried to pretend it was a coincidence that the minute hand was exactly in front of the defect. There is literally a 98.3% chance that is a lie (1-(1/60)).

Makes you wonder how they fall under "Trusted" dealer status then.

I have purchased form Fat Panda in the past and his QC is amazing. He spotted a flaw in a watch before even sending me QC pics and went out his way to let me know and get another watch. Now that's what I call setting standards.

G123

1/6/19
Makes you wonder how they fall under "Trusted" dealer status then.

I have purchased form Fat Panda in the past and his QC is amazing. He spotted a flaw in a watch before even sending me QC pics and went out his way to let me know and get another watch. Now that's what I call setting standards.
100%

Instead of QC being a thing to do to prevent bad pieces getting through it has distorted to: let's see how we can pretend to do a serious QC and basically fool the client into taking a bad one.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
To be fair, it's true some dealers seem to be really good at finding pieces that are long time out of stock. But my experience with that is that these pieces are usually flawed which leads me to think that they are QC rejected pieces that they couldn't send back to the factory. Josh is very "good" at that (and that's why he's not a TD here anymore and why I tend to stay away). Most TDs tell you that a watch is no longer in stock, then magically he says he can find you one, his QC photos are low-res and with very carefully placed angles, and when you receive it you see a couple of crooked markers, or a strange hue in the dial, or the screws are completely stuck. If a watch is long time out of stock there are no magic tricks, better go for another thing.

hm11esh

4/9/18
100%

Instead of QC being a thing to do to prevent bad pieces getting through it has distorted to: let's see how we can pretend to do a serious QC and basically fool the client into taking a bad one.

once you get burnt you will never use the same TD again.

G123

1/6/19
once you get burnt you will never use the same TD again.
Yes, it is really shameful. I have been dealing with them for almost 3 months and still they have not remedied the situation. I am about to give up on them really pathetic.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
No maths forumulae are allowed on this site. Please edit your post accordingly. Thank you for your cooperation.

Starting to regret only going to skool on Mondays now aren't we.

G123

1/6/19
Pah! What use is mathematics anyway?
Really not useful for certain dealers who think you don't realize the odds of the hands just "coincidentally" covering a defect in the QC pics..!

Rastapopoulos

Supporter
5/4/19
Germany
I have a similar problem.. I asked some TDs if a watch is available, one said that it is, ive sent my money there. After some days ive been told, that the watch isnt available anymore and if i want another watch instead. I refused it and got my money back, now i have the same situation with another dealer. He told me the watch is available but im afraid, that it is a trick to get my payment to sell me another watch that is in stock. I will try it once again this time, we´ll see what will happen.

Same thing happened again. Only difference is, that I´m waiting for the refund for 3 weeks now. This should have happened with paypal, but the dealer says he has to wait for funds on his account... Start getting upset now...

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
The TD should really fly to your home with a suitcase full of watches so you can choose. Setup a light box and hand you a loupe. I don't think that's too much to ask right ?

Reactions: rj999

Rastapopoulos

Supporter
5/4/19
Germany
Dont know whats the problem right now. This is a thread about the selling tactics of some TDs and I´m writing about my experience. I have no high demands in the speed of a TD and I know that it sometime takes some time till you get QC-pictures or a tracking Nr and so on - and thats okay. But when I send money to a dealer and the watch is not available I expect that I get my money back. It`s something where you dont have to source a watch or something but just send the money back, that you have already received. It`s something that I just didn´t expect to take this much time.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I don’t think it’s a tactic. As people mentioned above, some TDs are better at sourcing pieces than others. Some factories may have preferred TDs that they would hold pieces for.

Let’s compare somebody like WBK. US Based TD. He keeps a limited stock of items. A while back, I asked him if he had any seamasters in stock. He said no. I told him to let me know when he does. A week later he offered to sell me his personal one bc I’ve bought plenty of stuff from him in the past so we built a relationship as a frequent customer. Now, will he do this for everyone? Probably not.

A TD in China really has no idea what they have “in stock” because they take orders, go to the market or factory and picks out ones you ordered. They could have no idea if what you wanted is in stock or not if they haven’t gotten an order for that piece in a while.

They think “sure, I’ve sold one not too long ago” and says yes. You order it and they’ll come back and say it’s not in stock. If you have a good relationship with that TD, they will try to track it down from other TDs or factories that may have old stock.

It’s really all based on relationships you build with TDs as well as relationships the TDs build with factories or “market”.

Some may actually have it or if they don’t, they will try to find you one. If you’re a good customer with previous orders, they will try to find it for you. Another scenario would be if they got an order for that same watch from 1 regular and 2 they’ve never sold anything to... that will go to the regular.

Asian people like loyalty more than anything. If you’re a frequent customer or (regular), they will do everything they can to help you get what you want.

Before anybody says anything, I am asian so there’s no racial stereotyping going on here. Lol. I have also owned businesses where I would help my regulars however I could to get them what they asked for, even if we no longer sell it.

So basically, build a good relationship with your TD. Luckily, being on the forums does quite a bit of vouching for you more than just a random dude that found their website somehow. Even still, try to buy the next piece or parts from the same TD and LEAVE REVIEWS! They see and read them.

Once they get to know you or at least see your purchase history based on your email address, they will help as much as they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: