• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Should you immediately service a rep?

justchillinfambo

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/7/19
I see some peopple stating this is a good idea...

Is it really worth servicing immediately? Why not just wait until it craps out... if I understand correctly it shouldn't cost more... but maybe it does? Someone correct me if I am wrong on that. . Plus I ordered 5 watches and quotes go for 190 each to service an eta 2824/2836. Servicing 5 new watches at close to 1.2k seems a bit excessive. Plus in the 2 years that it craps out instead of paying ~200 to service you might want to just buy the latest edition of the watch for 100USD more...unless it's some timeless rep like a TC or something... but hey I'm new to all this.

I can totally see water testing but I can't see why servicing immediately would be a better option than just waiting till it bites the dust...

Last edited:

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
The rationale for servicing immediately is that the quality control on movements is pretty scant. Hair, dust, filings and even loose screws have been known to turn up. All of those are relatively rare, but a reason to get it serviced and cleaned. Another reason is that few are adequately oiled. That’s a reasonable tact for an immediate service as well.

I’m in the anti-immediate-no-questions-asked-service camp for two reasons: if there is something wrong with your watch, you’ll know it when you get it. Send it in for service if it’s problematic from the start. Otherwise, it is either under warranty for replacement or a replacement movement is typically cheaper than or at the same cost as a full service.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: justchillinfambo

centrum

27/7/14
After playing this game for 10 years, I learned how to play this game with my style: service them as soon as you can (not urgent however). Turns out that these illegal, fake watches that are hand assembled by Chinese watch smith are not as well put together as a Malaysian-Made $100 Seiko 5.
So I plan on cleaning, lubricating, and re-assembling all of my rep watches for $90 ea. I just sent a MKF PP Nautilus Blue w/ decorated M9015 for service. I am waiting to see the results. The Nautilus only had 10 hrs. of power reserve due to some parts not well screwed together.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I see some peopple stating this is a good idea...

Is it really worth servicing immediately? Why not just wait until it craps out... if I understand correctly it shouldn't cost more... but maybe it does? Someone correct me if I am wrong on that. . Plus I ordered 5 watches and quotes go for 190 each to service an eta 2824/2836. Servicing 5 new watches at close to 1.2k seems a bit excessive. Plus in the 2 years that it craps out instead of paying ~200 to service you might want to just buy the latest edition of the watch for 100USD more...unless it's some timeless rep like a TC or something... but hey I'm new to all this.

I can totally see water testing but I can't see why servicing immediately would be a better option than just waiting till it bites the dust...

My answer to this lies in part with which movement you have. The ETA clones such as the 2824 and 2836, I wouldn't waste the money servicing. where do they stop working and then you can buy a brand new ETA movement and have it installed for about the same price you were quoted for a service. The superclone movements like the 3135 and 4130 clones It's probably a good idea. But along with this I have had these movements and the ones I have had have been solid and ran without issue.

The ones I cannot speak to are the new super clone Panerai and Omega ones as I haven't had one and I will avoid them since parts availability is minimal should one break. Unlike the 3135 and 4130 clones, these are not true clones but a Chinese interpretation to look like the genuine movement with minimal parts interchangeability with gen. I digress to a different topic though with this line.

Bottom line my two cents enjoy them as they are until an issue arises. At that point if possible just buy the Swiss ETA genuine movement and have it installed and then you'll be good for years if not decades.

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
If i may add, wear the watch and if you decide is a keeper definitely service it
At least that is what i do

Reactions: Katarsis

sdude

Horology Curious
28/10/16
How long does it usually take to clean and lubricate immediately? Im assuming quicker than if it has been worn a few years?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
How long does it usually take to clean and lubricate immediately? Im assuming quicker than if it has been worn a few years?

Depends on the watchsmith, The plan on it being gone for a month maybe more. Since a proper service entails completely disassembling the movement and cleaning it and then reassembling it and oiling it properly, there's not a significant difference in time it takes to service a new versus a broken movement

Last edited: