• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you tell people your watch is real or fake?

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
You’re 25 and have bought a house in Melbourne?! I’m doing something wrong lol

i always tell people my reps are reps. I like pointing out the flaws, saying which mods I’ve done to it and any plans I have for it. That’s usually enough to bore the person so they never ask again

AussieWatcher

Known Member
28/6/19
Down Under
You’re 25 and have bought a house in Melbourne?! I’m doing something wrong lol

i always tell people my reps are reps. I like pointing out the flaws, saying which mods I’ve done to it and any plans I have for it. That’s usually enough to bore the person so they never ask again

Well it is a very run down place that we get to do up! Got it for an absolute steal though! Working in finance gave me a good understanding of what I needed to do and how to get there. Hopefully get a few renovation projects done so I can buy my dream watches!

I just ordered a watch repair kit.. looking forward to making some mods of my own

Major Tom

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/7/15
To the 0.01%, a real fake, end of conversation. 99.99% really don't care

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
I don't care what people wear but I do chuckle when I see people with their fake designer bags counting out pennies at the counter to pay for their discount supermarket items.

Last edited:

macarone

Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
I always tell them which factory and version it is, this weeds out the peeps that know about reps the minute they reply “ I’ve been wanting to pull the trigger but never seen one in person, can I check it out”

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
Just last week, I ran up to the auto parts store to get some transmission fluid. Some old guy behind the counter kept cupping his ear so he could hear me. He must've been close to 70 yrs old. He was wearing a 116500 panda (white dial, black insert) with a running chrono hand and a static hand at 6. I got a good look at it while he was running the computer behind he counter. People wear what they like, no matter what they do for a living and I bet less than 3 people a week notice his watch and even fewer know what it is right down to what movement is in it.

Reactions: AussieWatcher

AussieWatcher

Known Member
28/6/19
Down Under
Just last week, I ran up to the auto parts store to get some transmission fluid. Some old guy behind the counter kept cupping his ear so he could hear me. He must've been close to 70 yrs old. He was wearing a 116500 panda (white dial, black insert) with a running chrono hand and a static hand at 6. I got a good look at it while he was running the computer behind he counter. People wear what they like, no matter what they do for a living and I bet less than 3 people a week notice his watch and even fewer know what it is right down to what movement is in it.

I find that I am a lot more aware of what other people are wearing now as well. I personally wouldn't make a judgement on a person based on the fact they wear a rep, the way they treat me and their manner is much more of a determining factor.

Reactions: gilrob

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Don't mind me, I'm just waiting for Tucker to stop by and teach you his legendary answer to that question.

Me? I usually say a combination of these:

1. Haha
2. Shut up
3. Aw, mate, fuck off
4. No, hun, it's just a really cheap fake that I got on an online raffle, probably worth less than a tenner, don't worry. Should we order thai food?
5. Yep, it's totally awesome mate, they have used 904L steel on this one, and it looks like it's all machined, not that shitty metal injection you have on Steinharts et al. It's so close to the real thing that you would need a real pro to tell, and it's actually water resistant to more than 100M!!! Plus it has an ETA clone that I can calibrate myself and... (carries on)

99.9% of the public gets the 1, 2 & 3 answer. My wife gets the 4 and any (real) friend and watch fan gets the 5. Easy, isn't it?

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Don't mind me, I'm just waiting for Tucker to stop by and teach you his legendary answer to that question.

Me? I usually say a combination of these:

1. Haha
2. Shut up
3. Aw, mate, fuck off
4. No, hun, it's just a really cheap fake that I got on an online raffle, probably worth less than a tenner, don't worry. Should we order thai food?
5. Yep, it's totally awesome mate, they have used 904L steel on this one, and it looks like it's all machined, not that shitty metal injection you have on Steinharts et al. It's so close to the real thing that you would need a real pro to tell, and it's actually water resistant to more than 100M!!! Plus it has an ETA clone that I can calibrate myself and... (carries on)

99.9% of the public gets the 1, 2 & 3 answer. My wife gets the 4 and any (real) friend and watch fan gets the 5. Easy, isn't it?

giphy.gif

emzeeka

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/6/19
To be honest, if you buy anthing other than Rolex reps, people will 99.9% of the time not care about what it is or how expensive it was - they care about how it looks.

Yes, if they recognize the rolex crown or rolex brand name, they will most likely assume its a rep (EVEN if its actually a gen)

Reactions: csthe and stufuse

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
To be honest, if you buy anthing other than Rolex reps, people will 99.9% of the time not care about what it is or how expensive it was - they care about how it looks.

Yes, if they recognize the rolex crown or rolex brand name, they will most likely assume its a rep (EVEN if its actually a gen)

i must disagree with you on this, it depends on your background and your social life, if a person works in pizza delivery and wears a 18kt gold rolex it's gonna be obvious that it's a rep, and so on.

i always say that the main tell is you, not the watch itself

Reactions: PlastikMan

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Careful with that, though. You can get any decent watch paying just a bit for 48 months. A SubC or a GMT will cost you not much more than $200 which is quite affordable to many people that earns just average (or less if they live with their parents)

Reactions: stufuse

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Careful with that, though. You can get any decent watch paying just a bit for 48 months. A SubC or a GMT will cost you not much more than $200 which is quite affordable to many people that earns just average (or less if they live with their parents)

we can agree on that, my point was that if you look like you can afford it people will think that you can afford it and therefore think that it's gen, i'll explain myself better in a minute

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
we can agree on that, my point was that if you look like you can afford it people will think that you can afford it and therefore think that it's gen, i'll explain myself better in a minute

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be a lecture or anything. I actually agree with your comment above. If you don't look like a wealthy person... Maybe it's real anyway (could be a gift from your grandfather, you could've saved for ages while living with your parents, etc).

But on the other hand, if you have a mid to high income job, dress in a kind of way, go often out and buy rounds, post pics at expensive restaurants, etc, you bet most people will believe the hype and think your gold & steel sub is 100% genuine, ha.

roflwaffles

14/4/19
San Francisco
First of all, holy shit at buying a house at 25. I'm 29 in California and I can't even fathom buying a house right now.

I tell everyone who asks that what I'm wearing is a rep, but those questions rarely come up unless its like a Sub-C. I have a fairly well paying tech job and dress well, but I also live in a dump in San Francisco and drive a busted up 2006 Civic Hybrid. I can pull off passing them as gens to people who don't know me very well, but it's generally a more fun conversation when you tell them it's a rep in most cases.