• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you tell people your watch is real or fake?

AussieWatcher

Known Member
28/6/19
Down Under
Hi All,

As a relatively new member to this forum the thought came over me to ask the masses whether or not you say your watch is real or a replica to an unsuspecting person? I have always owned reps that were purchased on holidays in Bali and they were never a clone like quality and I have always said (if asked) that they are replicas. I recently purchased an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch and although it has its flaws (sub dial spacing etc) it is clearly a quality above what i'm used to. As I ponder purchasing a Noob V2.2 Daytona that is indistinguishable from a gen until close inspection from even the most trained eye I wonder what you all say if asked the question?

I personally feel a bit of guilt wearing a rep even though I love them so much. I am only 25 and as I look to renovate my first home I know my money is better spent in other areas at the moment and that one day I will own some gens. But for now I will live with my stunning reps! As I read once on this forum, the rep world is more real than the gen world!

Last edited:
Reactions: sam.rollie

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
Hi All,

As a relatively new member to this forum the thought came over me to ask the masses whether or not you say your watch is real or a replica to an unsuspecting person? I have always owned reps that were purchased on holidays in Bali and they were never a clone like quality and I have always said (if asked) that they are replicas. I recently purchased an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch and although it has its flaws (sub dial spacing etc) it is clearly a quality above what i'm used to. As I ponder purchasing a Noob V2.2 Daytona that is indistinguishable from a gen until close inspection from even the most trained eye I wonder what you all say if asked the question?

I personally feel a bit of guilt wearing a rep even though I love them so much. I am only 25 and as I look to renovate my first home I know my money is better spent in other areas at the moment and that one day I will own some gens. But for now I will live with my stunning reps! As I read once on this forum, the rep world is more real than the gen world!

People ask me, and I always says that what I have is a replica. And they don't believe me. The thing is, if they know your lifestyle, if you're living a luxurious and good life, chances are high that they will think that what you have are all real.

And vice versa. The bottom point is, just wear what you like and enjoy it. Just don't go around and says that you have a gen because if a watch guy caught you it would be an embarrassment. That's just my own opinion =)

And congrats on your first house =)

Reactions: jhezerrheyreyes

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
I just don’t talk about my watches at all. My direct family knows about my rep hobby and that’s about it. If anyone else asks if it is a rep I will remove my watch out of my wrist,, hand it in and ask them what do they think. Doubt anyone would question lol

Mr.Marbella

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/16
EU
Hi All,

Dont spend Money you cant afford !

I was Shocked when my watchmaker showed me around 15 watches he worked on - for members who cant afford to pay him his work...

Rwi is tricky...Since the watches are Not gen you can be easily tempted to buy a „ Daytona „

Your Brain will Tell you its only 600 bucks and you are saving a Fortune compared to gen, but are you Really able to throw out 600€ for a watch ?!

First Take care of your Future finances and then blow Money on reps or Gens.

Age really doenst say much to be honest. Im 29 and NEVER worried about ANYONE ( except Quetip ... ) to call me out lol

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

AussieWatcher

Known Member
28/6/19
Down Under
I was Shocked when my watchmaker showed me around 15 watches he worked on - for members who cant afford to pay him his work...
Rwi is tricky...Since the watches are Not gen you can be easily tempted to buy a „ Daytona „
Your Brain will Tell you its only 600 bucks and you are saving a Fortune compared to gen, but are you Really able to throw out 600€ for a watch ?!
Age really doenst say much to be honest. Im 29 and NEVER worried about ANYONE ( except Quetip ... ) to call me out lol

Age can matter to whether or not the perception of you is that you can afford a gen watch.. If that's the look your going for.. I was a professional athlete and now have a good job in finance so the money side of things doesn't bother me. But when talking gen prices you have to consider where your money should go!

I'm just curious as to people's choices on what they tell others :)

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
Age can matter to whether or not the perception of you is that you can afford a gen watch.. If that's the look your going for.. I was a professional athlete and now have a good job in finance so the money side of things doesn't bother me. But when talking gen prices you have to consider where your money should go!

I'm just curious as to people's choices on what they tell others :)

If you’re wearing a 150,00 dollar PP Royal Oak offshore when handing burger and fries out of the drive through window, I’d guess it’s not going to be taken seriously

yongsum

Supporter
Patron
Certified
3/6/19
i've never had anyone ask. i believe someone here posted that 95% of people won't even look at your watch, and less than 1% of the 5 that do, will know it's a rep.
but yeah if anyone asks i will simply tell them. i have 4x more gen's than reps so it has never come up yet, except a few friends.

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19

This is pure wisdom. Heed these words. I know I need to...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
If you’re wearing a 150,00 dollar PP Royal Oak offshore when handing burger and fries out of the drive through window, I’d guess it’s not going to be taken seriously

The gas station clerk at my gas station rocks a yacht master. Guy is maybe 21. I didn’t talk to him about it but I’m very sure that thing is a rep. So yes, seconded.

DanniSandi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/1/17
99% percent of the time I never get the question if my reps(s) are real or not (I have 2 now). I do wear gens as well and funny thing is somebody once asked me if my gen Datejust was real lol. But I do get away with my reps since I do have a lifestyle and a occupation to back it up. I think its some level psychology involved on how people see things.

yongsum

Supporter
Patron
Certified
3/6/19
thought i'd further comment. definitely people judge when looking at others. myself, i drive beat up cars and don't dress very fancy often. that being said, my house is worth 2M and i have probably 100k worth of gen watches. i often see young people driving amg benzos, dressing very chic, but wearing movado watches. it makes me wonder about priorities. to me cars are a bad investment, while houses and watches tend to appreciate. but that being said, i don't judge people by their watch and if possible at all. and if their watch looks good i simply say so, regardless of brand.

AussieWatcher

Known Member
28/6/19
Down Under
Interesting to hear everyone's responses! Each to their own.. Will be interesting to see the quality of reps that come out going forward. If you had of shown someone a NWBIG from 2019 in 1999 they wouldn't have believed it was a rep! Wonder what the next 20 years holds..

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
In general, people don't ask, and I don't tell. The only person remotely interested in my watches is my brother, because I once mentioned buying Chinese replicas. He was disgusted, but I think he is now coming around. My sister-in-law told me he recently ordered a watch from China for about $700. I am guessing he bought the Noob Daytona, which he had been hunting at local ADs for many months. He had seen the rep on my wrist more than a few times and likely gave in to the dark side.

I expect him to register for RWI membership soon (if he hadn't already done so).