• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you tell people your watch is real or fake?

RepHoro

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/18
Georgia
I always say it's a fake - sometimes I even volunteer it without asking. But it's not out of morality or guilt - it simply makes for a more interesting story. If someone asks me when I wear my gen and I say "Yes it's real" - end of story! Conversation killer. But when I say it's a fake it always generates a fun conversation! I usually tell the story of how I brought my Hulk into Rolex of Beverly Hills and told them my Dad died and left me his watch and is it real? And how the sales lady looks at it with a loop and then said "well we never know for sure unless we take theff.....but ....yeah .. it's real" (winking reassuedly at me). People get a real kick out of that! It just makes for great stories that go off in any directions!

Reactions: chentepilot

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I always say it's a fake - sometimes I even volunteer it without asking. But it's not out of morality or guilt - it simply makes for a more interesting story. If someone asks me when I wear my gen and I say "Yes it's real" - end of story! Conversation killer. But when I say it's a fake it always generates a fun conversation! I usually tell the story of how I brought my Hulk into Rolex of Beverly Hills and told them my Dad died and left me his watch and is it real? And how the sales lady looks at it with a loop and then said "well we never know for sure unless we take theff.....but ....yeah .. it's real" (winking reassuedly at me). People get a real kick out of that! It just makes for great stories that go off in any directions!

I would not brag about bringing a replica to an AD, buddy. It's something that is very frowned upon in our community and coul have gotten you in trouble as well as our hobby.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Sorry, it wasn't meant to be a lecture or anything. I actually agree with your comment above. If you don't look like a wealthy person... Maybe it's real anyway (could be a gift from your grandfather, you could've saved for ages while living with your parents, etc).

But on the other hand, if you have a mid to high income job, dress in a kind of way, go often out and buy rounds, post pics at expensive restaurants, etc, you bet most people will believe the hype and think your gold & steel sub is 100% genuine, ha.

sure man np i understand and i agree with you as well, we brought 2 different examples and both are good!

Reactions: Hinclimincli

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Hi All,

As a relatively new member to this forum the thought came over me to ask the masses whether or not you say your watch is real or a replica to an unsuspecting person? I have always owned reps that were purchased on holidays in Bali and they were never a clone like quality and I have always said (if asked) that they are replicas. I recently purchased an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch and although it has its flaws (sub dial spacing etc) it is clearly a quality above what i'm used to. As I ponder purchasing a Noob V2.2 Daytona that is indistinguishable from a gen until close inspection from even the most trained eye I wonder what you all say if asked the question?

I personally feel a bit of guilt wearing a rep even though I love them so much. I am only 25 and as I look to renovate my first home I know my money is better spent in other areas at the moment and that one day I will own some gens. But for now I will live with my stunning reps! As I read once on this forum, the rep world is more real than the gen world!
I tell people my vintages watches are real watches (really working timekeepers) but not genuine, just replicas.
Then they ask me were I bought them and I explain I've build them.
Sometimes they ask if I could build the same for them ... sometimes I say yes and sometimes I say no ;).

Envoyé de mon moto g(7) power en utilisant Tapatalk

sameace

10/7/19
bro you are paying 400 or 500 dollar to tell your friends it's a replica ?
so why not paying 50 dollar for a replica then ?
i will never tell it's a replica it's so close to gen... but it's my own choice
what do you think ?

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
what do you think ?

well, you can do whatever you want and it's your own choice to say something or say nothing, i personally see nothing wrong with telling your best friend (who could be sharing the passion for watches with you) that your watch is a rep, i do so, you could talk with them about the hobby and everything else, there is no shame in talking with your friend about your hobby lmao moreover if they are close to you so they know your background and they know if you can / cannot afford something (there is no shame in not being able to afford something)

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
what do you think ?

I tend to not lie to my friends. What do you think?

Reactions: Nivka and stufuse

kaddy

Known Member
14/7/18
I tell everyone that even my gens are fake. The fact that they're asking presumes that they already think my watches are not gen or they want to believe so. Tell them what they want to hear, make them happy in their mind and let them be on their way.

Last edited:
Reactions: stufuse

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
I tell everyone that even my gens are fake. The fact that they're asking presumes that they already think my watches are not gen or they want to believe so. Tell them what they want to hear, make them happy in their mind and let them be on their way.

Do you really go that way? i usually like to crush their prejudice, if a person asks (it never happens, it would be incredibly rude) i'd say "i don't think so, you tell me" and i'd give the watch to them, then, after they realize that they made a mistake in their judgement because in their mind you were "lower" than you actually are i pull out my uno card and ask "what about yours?"

picture upload

Reactions: AussieWatcher

D Ramone

23/7/18
UK
For very close friends and nice family members if they ask I’ll tell them it’s a rep. Anyone else I always say it’s a gen. Like another member mentioned earlier, why pay $400 and say it’s a rep? Wear it like a boss and enjoy it!

kaddy

Known Member
14/7/18
Do you really go that way? i usually like to crush their prejudice, if a person asks (it never happens, it would be incredibly rude) i'd say "i don't think so, you tell me" and i'd give the watch to them, then, after they realize that they made a mistake in their judgement because in their mind you were "lower" than you actually are i pull out my uno card and ask "what about yours?"

Yep. If they want to chat watches then I'm game, but if they're only legit checking (gens or reps) I'm not going to waste my time and breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennygconspiracy

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I usually tell the story of how I brought my Hulk into Rolex of Beverly Hills and told them my Dad died and left me his watch and is it real? And how the sales lady looks at it with a loop and then said "well we never know for sure unless we take theff.....but ....yeah .. it's real" (winking reassuedly at me). People get a real kick out of that! It just makes for great stories that go off in any directions!

I usually take my TC LV 16610 into Rolex of Beverly Hills and tell them I killed my Dad and took his watch before they took away his body. The sales lady just looks at it with a loupe and when I tell her I poisoned my Dad with sarin gas and snatched his Rolex, she just says "he had good taste" (winking re-assuredly at me). People get a real kick out of that! It just makes for great stories that go off in any directions!

AussieWatcher

Known Member
28/6/19
Down Under
what do you think ?

Each to their own! That is why I asked the question :) The fear of being called out on it might be too great for some.

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
i must disagree with you on this, it depends on your background and your social life, if a person works in pizza delivery and wears a 18kt gold rolex it's gonna be obvious that it's a rep, and so on.

i always say that the main tell is you, not the watch itself

Not sure I agree

Watches are given for gifts for birthdays or can be bought 0 % finance etc

When I was young My friend did pizza delivery for some money while he studied to be a black taxi driver. He had 3 Gen Cartier’s, 2 of which he saved for and one was an 18th birthday Gift. The money for 2 was enough to buy 1 of a more expensive watch.

I have an apprentice working for me now, lives at home drives a nicer car than me, coz that’s all he has to pay out for.
So again you can never really judge by job lifestyle and social life.

I also know a few people who are extremely wealthy and couldn’t give to fucks about a watch, clothes, fancy cars whatever. The only luxury thing they own is their houses. If you were to meet these people and go on appearance or what the spend money on , you’d assume they didn’t have a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

newrepper

13/6/18
I was much more concerned with all this when I first got involved. After cycling through my first few reps it got to the point where I really just stopped caring.

reppy

Renowned Member
14/1/17
I always tell them which factory and version it is, this weeds out the peeps that know about reps the minute they reply “ I’ve been wanting to pull the trigger but never seen one in person, can I check it out”
That's a new one for me. I kind of like it.
How would you word it?
"Yeah, I got this one from the J factory"?

SUBKILLER

Renowned Member
30/7/16
Wow, this thread is so chock-a-block full of fragile egos that I'm starting to feel claustrophobic. I need to take my anxiety meds.
A couple of vicodins with a glass of wine is what the doctor order...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Danii