• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2813 Rolex GMT II crown sheared off

Webstahhh

Horology Curious
25/6/18
Just curious if anyone has had this happen to their? Watch is still moving and self winding but the crown is now officially FUBAR and doesn't work. I can screw it back on however but no function.
cb9d9b3a6c0a49db965ecc026a52ede5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Your stem is broken, the crown is fine. Actually looks like it rusted...may be the least of your problems.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I have seen it happened. The watch I was handling, a 70's Bulova Accutron, was in poor condition. When I pulled on the crown, the stem snapped like yours. I opened the caseback and extracted the broken half. My watchmaker sourced a replacement crown/stem and cleaned the 218 movement as best as he could, but the watch would not run.

As another had stated, perhaps your watch has internal corrosion.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Ahhh well, as another member said, it looks like it rusted off. And it looks like an inexpensive rep that’s been banged around a litttle. There looks to be a little wear and tear on the watch. Have you opened the case? If not... might be time for an upgrade.

applestooranges

Known Member
18/7/18
It should be easy enough to replace the stem if there is no corrosion or just pop in a new movement entirely. If you're looking to save the watch rather than get a new one, the main issue would be transferring the crown to a new stem. May want to email the TDs and see if anyone can source one for you.

If its still running as you say, i would be inclined to find a new stem and just replace the movement if and when the current movement gives up.

Last edited:

Webstahhh

Horology Curious
25/6/18
Ahhh well, as another member said, it looks like it rusted off. And it looks like an inexpensive rep that’s been banged around a litttle. There looks to be a little wear and tear on the watch. Have you opened the case? If not... might be time for an upgrade.
Yeah just a cheapie. Not the end of the world. I was just curious more than anything if anyone had this happen to be honest.
Was just a daily wear and like you said was a bit banged about regularly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk