Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

2813 Rolex GMT II crown sheared off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2813 Rolex GMT II crown sheared off

Just curious if anyone has had this happen to their? Watch is still moving and self winding but the crown is now officially FUBAR and doesn't work. I can screw it back on however but no function.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Your stem is broken, the crown is fine. Actually looks like it rusted...may be the least of your problems.

Comment

Hopefully just a stem replacement...

[Link] The Truth About our Reps...

Comment

Originally posted by amplitude View Post
        Your stem is broken, the crown is fine. Actually looks like it rusted...may be the least of your problems.
        My bad... wasn't sure on the correct terminology

Comment

I have seen it happened. The watch I was handling, a 70's Bulova Accutron, was in poor condition. When I pulled on the crown, the stem snapped like yours. I opened the caseback and extracted the broken half. My watchmaker sourced a replacement crown/stem and cleaned the 218 movement as best as he could, but the watch would not run.

As another had stated, perhaps your watch has internal corrosion.
          Like many others, I am seeking a decent TC16610

Comment

Ahhh well, as another member said, it looks like it rusted off. And it looks like an inexpensive rep that’s been banged around a litttle. There looks to be a little wear and tear on the watch. Have you opened the case? If not... might be time for an upgrade.
            WTB: Panerai with Grey/anthracite dials (605, 943, 978 & others)

Comment

It should be easy enough to replace the stem if there is no corrosion or just pop in a new movement entirely. If you're looking to save the watch rather than get a new one, the main issue would be transferring the crown to a new stem. May want to email the TDs and see if anyone can source one for you.

If its still running as you say, i would be inclined to find a new stem and just replace the movement if and when the current movement gives up.
              Last edited by applestooranges; 13-07-19, 11:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazing View Post
                Ahhh well, as another member said, it looks like it rusted off. And it looks like an inexpensive rep that’s been banged around a litttle. There looks to be a little wear and tear on the watch. Have you opened the case? If not... might be time for an upgrade.
                Yeah just a cheapie. Not the end of the world. I was just curious more than anything if anyone had this happen to be honest.
                Was just a daily wear and like you said was a bit banged about regularly.

Comment

Working...
                X