• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do You Trust Pressure Test Results?

Techie12989

Known Member
6/7/16
I'm curious, what are your thoughts on the results of pressure tests from TD's? Do you trust the watch will be water resistant enough to withstand say taking the watch in the shower? I know swimming in chlorinated pools is not the best idea for even gen watches as the chlorine can shrink the gaskets, and salt water leaves behind... salt, which can be corrosive to the watch itself, but what about just water?

I tried searching the topic, and I came across SD4K's OUTSTANDING test post, and what I gathered after reading it is that it's hit or miss with reps without knowing test results of some kind beforehand. The question I'm posing isn't about "guessing" if it's water proof, rather interpreting the results of a TD's pressure test.

Here's a test from a watch, PureTime in this example. According the the screen, it's "Passed" the test to 3 bar, or 30M depth. What's your take on the results, and after pulling the crown out to set the watch so many times, when would you start to question if it's still water resistant?

IMG-5866.jpg

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I don't trust the TD's test because I don't know what can happen to the watch from there to here. If I intend to submerge the watch, then I take it to the local watchmaker who will grease seals and test it. The work doesn't cost very much and gives me a peace of mind... Not that I'd intentionally swim or snorkle with any rep. I have a ten year old Seiko SKX perfect for that activity. As long as you clean it after swimming in pool or in the ocean, it will be fine.

Reactions: forevernoob

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Nope I don't trust it either, for the same reason. A tiny knock that moves the crown would be enough to compromise water resistance. This doesn't mean I always get my reps tested, but simply that I jump in the pool with them, knowing that the pressure test in the QC pics isn't worth much, and that life is a lottery. YOLO!

Reactions: VitZan and XpanzerX

Ed kent

Horology Curious
20/8/13
Anyone had much luck with home made pressure testers...I Remember reading about how to construct one either here or in our RWG some time ago?

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
I would check after buying. While not a lot of money goes into reps, it sucks to drown a favorite in your collection.

Last edited:
Reactions: noobwatch76

Mask415

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/1/19
UK
Bought mine from Puretime, had it tested at my local watchsmith.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I picked up a pressure tester off eBay and test my watches after I first receive them and randomly every year or so thereafter.

Mask415

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/1/19
UK
Peace of mind, its worth getting it tested by your local watch smith.

forevernoob

Known Member
23/12/15
I don't trust the TD's test because I don't know what can happen to the watch from there to here. If I intend to submerge the watch, then I take it to the local watchmaker who will grease seals and test it. The work doesn't cost very much and gives me a peace of mind... Not that I'd intentionally swim or snorkle with any rep. I have a ten year old Seiko SKX perfect for that activity. As long as you clean it after swimming in pool or in the ocean, it will be fine.

How much does your watchmaker charge for greasing and pressure testing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
No watchsmith that works on gens for a living that I know will guarantee a rep water test .. If you find a guy who will perform the test and it passes, don't look to him if the watch takes in water. "Rep Friendly" only goes but so far....

Islander36

I'm Pretty Popular
28/2/14
Most of the higher quality sport models ie subs, DSSD’s Pam’s can be greased and used for any kind of swimming you want. There has been a lots of post s on here and anyone who has put some time and effort on waterproofing these sport models has had good results. I have a DSSD that has at least a dozen dives below 100 feet.

Reactions: Noobylover

Islander36

I'm Pretty Popular
28/2/14
Having said that I wouldn’t buy some beat up piece of junk that some times comes up here m2m if you know it’s going to be a water watch start with a better watch I prefer BK and have him pressure test and grease it. He also makes sure the stem tube is correct length length. It’s little things like this that makes all the difference.